Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #16

I had a high mileage car with the original plugs and they were stuck tight. Shot a little P B Blaster on them and took a coffee break. When I tried again, they came out like they had been freshly installed. P B Blaster is now my go to on all stubborn fasteners.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #17

Be thankful it's not a Ford Triton engine, how'd you like to own this mess:

You know it's bad when aftermarket makes a tool specifically for removing busted plugs. As well Ford came up with a specific procedure to remove the plug, start it up and let it run for a few minutes, break the lugs free, give the well a shot of air to blow the crap out, soak 'em with penetrating oil, let them set for a bit and pray they turn out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triton plugs.jpg (55.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by MrMikey; 08-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spondulas View Post
I had a high mileage car with the original plugs and they were stuck tight. Shot a little P B Blaster on them and took a coffee break. When I tried again, they came out like they had been freshly installed. P B Blaster is now my go to on all stubborn fasteners.
on any higher mileage engine i clean the well then add W D or some penetrant then just break them loose and let it soak a little while and carefully ease them out -- if any seem stuck add more oil and go in and out a little at a time to get the threads lubed good -- seems to help a lot

Old 08-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #19

Quote:
start it up and let it run for a few minutes, break the lugs free, give the well a shot of air to blow the crap out, soak 'em with penetrating oil, let them set for a bit and pray they turn out
Holy Cow Batman, That has to suck. But then again this is not the good old days when a vehicle was crap at 100,000 miles.
Now its less than 1/2 life. I have snapped one off and It cracked the head. Lots of Radiator fluid flowed. Worst part was I was helping a friend, it was not my vehicle.

They stopped sending birthday cards. I even paid for a new head for them since I did it.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #20

Greetings...yep..did that.
Bought newer bike. For me....
09 1700 35510 on miles...
I always go threw and ck everything real good.
Upon changing the plugs...an I was carful with the wires
Pulled the front wire apart. Big time..
THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING...
I go looking for new plug wire...no luck...called dealer no BETTER news...
Failing to understand my options...and the dealership telling me Nope it all comes as one unit. ..wire an could gotta love that price..
So today I get a call from dealership...that part is on back order.not sure when to get it.....nice
I did find an ordered it on line ...
So be very carful with those plug wires...and use Greece in the boot. Just in case you every need to take them out.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2017, 03:13 AM   #21

If it's the actual boot that broke, I've got the new one on mine and you're welcome to the patched up one if it'll get you out of a bind. I wouldn't make a cross country trip with it but it worked great for me, not a glitch.
I soldered it back together internally and siliconed back together externally, worked fine believe it or not.............Mike