Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Stripped Sparkplug hole

The right front spark plug hole on my 01 1500 Nomad is stripped. The plug threads in the hole but will not tighten down and I get a compression leak around the plug. My mechanic will not install a heli coil as he says it won't last. Had anyone used a time sert with any luck. The cost of a used head and the labor is not worth it and I may have to part the bike out. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
VBA#2669

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

I used a Heli-coil on an old H1 Kawasaki Triple some years back and it worked fine. Had a hard time getting it in with the engine still in the frame and it was the center cylinder. If the other fix available is too expensive, what have you got to lose by doing a Heli-coil? The Vulcans aren't real high compression so a Heli-coil should work fine I would think.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Top Contributor

If a heli coil does not work I wonder if non removable Loctite might work ? I cant remember if it is green or red.
Buy a new plug and the bike might last another 50,000 miles.

What have you got to lose ?

Old 11-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

Theres nothing wrong with using a heli coil if its installed properly, I'd install one if I had to.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by owcow View Post
The right front spark plug hole on my 01 1500 Nomad is stripped. The plug threads in the hole but will not tighten down and I get a compression leak around the plug. My mechanic will not install a heli coil as he says it won't last. Had anyone used a time sert with any luck. The cost of a used head and the labor is not worth it and I may have to part the bike out. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
installed many heli coils in many different applications including plug holes with 0 problems

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #6

Take a look at Time-Sert's website.
VBA 936

Old 11-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #7

On my 2001 HD Ultra the dealership stripped one of the spark plug holes and fixed it (with an unconditional guarantee). I never had any problems with the repair as long as I owned it after that.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 11-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

What MAS Said! After repair, not a moments problem. Alum and Steel just don't like playing together! Headbolts and Sparkplug holes are easy to strip out if you don't use care and some anti-seize on the threads.
The early honda case bolts were really easy to strip out, even with a phillips head screwdriver. Anti-Seize acts as a lube and keeps them from corroding together....
I've always preferred the cast heads (HDs) with the steel plugs. Many a Honda GW/CB750/ Kawa Z1s I've put the inserts in. Once done, you never have to worry again....

I always use the AntiSeize on plug threads, screw the sparkplug in with a piece of 3/8s rubber gas line, then torque the plug. Never a problem until coming behind someone thats let the plug get seized, or has crossthreaded the plug hole or tightened it way too tight. Sometimes, theres just soft alum threads that strip out....
Just use the spark plug inserts, I get mine thru Goodson's engine building supplies. Its a kit, less than $40.
If you use std. helicoils, be sure to set it correctly and carefully remove the bottom coil correctly (read directions). I usually only do this while I have the whole engine tore down....but can be done easily if engine is still in the frame.
IF I DO IT IN FRAME, I use a grease to hold the chips to the tap. I also make sure the exhaust valve is open, and I spray some mens aerosol shaving cream in thru the spark plug hole. This help keep chips off the cylinder wall wall and off top of piston.
After I tap the hole I use A shopvac to pull the chips and shaving foam outta the cylinder, thru the plug hole

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 11-11-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #9

I find fixed the hole today using the time sert system. It went so quickly and easily it was scary. Went for a 40 mile ride and no issues at all.

This is the insert in the hole

This is the kit I purchased from Amazon. It included 6 inserts of three different lengths
VBA#2669

Old 11-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Good job !

Old 11-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #11

Yep, those are much easier to use than a standard heli-coil.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Please to explain how that time cert kit is used.

On installing spark plugs, years ago a mechanic friend gave me a boot that resembles a spark plug boot after I cross threaded the spark plug hole on an old Triumph Bonneville head. Fortunately for me the head was sitting on my work bench as was doing the damage. I've never inserted a spark plug since then without it.