Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

No Parts availability-vaquero

bought a Brand New 2016 a few weeks back. Rode it a little over a thousand miles in 6 or 7 days then started having some clutch issues. bled the clutch out, (very dirty oil, looked like coffee) worked good for another day or so. then started again. Took it into the dealer and they troubleshot it down to a bad master cylinder, rebuilt it (twice) and its still doing the same thing. so they ordered a master cylinder from Kawasaki....had to wait three days...then they said it was on back order... so i was frustrated to say the least. Now Kawasaki is telling them (and Me) that they don't know when the "release Date" will be for anymore of the master Cylinders. i've called them four or five times and have stayed in touch with my dealer also.

question is does anybody have any experience with anything like this? ive never had issues with getting parts for the MeanStreak I have, but maybe its just too new?
Dealer said that it may be a recall in the works? or they depleted the stock trying to put together the 2018's?

Andyismarine
2016 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero 1700
2004 Kawasaki Vulcan Meanstreak 1600
2006 Yamaha V-star 650 Classic
VBA# 03615

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #2

If I were you and I have done this in the past with car makers that have had same problem is tell your dealer or the kawasaki head office to pull one off a new model that they might have in a dealership. You should not be held up by poor performance on the part of a supplier of a waranty part at all.

It is shameful on the part of your dealer if you ask me he has not already done this for you. You should have him right away advise kawasaki that this should be the only option for you and they should make this happen right away.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

yea we have discussed this already. he doesn't have any other Vaqueros in the area (within 500 miles) currently. he has 8 of the 18's on order and 6 of them are already sold. He said if he gets one that is not sold he will take the master cylinder from it before putting them together.

Andyismarine
VBA# 03615

Old 11-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

That is absolutely unacceptable. Do you have a lemon law for motorcycles where you live?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
That is absolutely unacceptable. Do you have a lemon law for motorcycles where you live?
Yea, I could get out of the loan for the bike....but its the bike I want and it fits so well into my budget..... not much more room to find something else. it being a left-over from 16 I got a heck of a deal on it.

Andyismarine
VBA# 03615

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #6

make them extend the warranty get something better from them as they are not doing you right.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #7

Any chance there's still crap in the reservoir plugging the small hole, crap in the line still? What was it doing or not doing?.........Mike

Old 11-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Any chance there's still crap in the reservoir plugging the small hole, crap in the line still? What was it doing or not doing?.........Mike
i dont think so. they have rebuilt it twice to ensure it was the housing. dont think any trash would survive. they told me that the master cylinder was not pulling back all of the fluid each time i released it, the clutch springs would push it back most of the way but each time it would be a little further out... until finally it let the clutch slip.

Andyismarine
VBA# 03615

Old 11-03-2017, 02:48 AM   #9

Had a Sensor problem with my dealer said it was on Back order, I said really?? some one must have one. Well, while I was on the phone with them I found the part , paid for it and had it shipped to them over night. Before I hung up I had told them it would be there the next day. Seems they only order from one source and are blind to the world. MAYBE JUST MY DEALER, But Look for the parts yourself. Not that you should have to find the parts for them, But ..... You need to do the work for them sometimes AND WHY? I do not have an answer, But it may have to do with getting reimbursed.

Sorry you have to tolerate things like this.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 11-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Had a Sensor problem with my dealer said it was on Back order, I said really?? some one must have one. Well, while I was on the phone with them I found the part , paid for it and had it shipped to them over night. Before I hung up I had told them it would be there the next day. Seems they only order from one source and are blind to the world. MAYBE JUST MY DEALER, But Look for the parts yourself. Not that you should have to find the parts for them, But ..... You need to do the work for them sometimes AND WHY? I do not have an answer, But it may have to do with getting reimbursed.

Sorry you have to tolerate things like this.
yea we have went down that road also. I did an extensive search online, everyone that showed one "in stock" didn't really have one. found a used one on ebay but haven't been desperate enough for that one because the dealer said they wouldn't reimburse me for a used one. they told me if they or I found it "from Kawasaki" then they could work it out.

I was hoping to find one, figured id just return theirs once it came in. had the customer service director call the last 5 dealerships/vendors that received one to make sure they actually used them.

the dealership emailed yesterday and said the part has been updated to "2c" status which they said means available within two weeks. I'm sure that means available in Japan, so probably another week on top of that to get to me.

My main issue has been with kawasaki, my local dealership in Memphis, seems to really be doing what they can, they have offered me heavy discounts on parts and service, kept me up to date about every other day, told me that they would steal one from another vaquero if they get one on trade or if they receive one of the 18s that are not already sold.
would have been nice to get a loaner bike from them, but i do have a small work car to get me around in the meantime, I just hate it...

Andyismarine
VBA# 03615

Old 11-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyismarine View Post
yea we have went down that road also. I did an extensive search online, everyone that showed one "in stock" didn't really have one. found a used one on ebay but haven't been desperate enough for that one because the dealer said they wouldn't reimburse me for a used one. they told me if they or I found it "from Kawasaki" then they could work it out.

I was hoping to find one, figured id just return theirs once it came in. had the customer service director call the last 5 dealerships/vendors that received one to make sure they actually used them.

the dealership emailed yesterday and said the part has been updated to "2c" status which they said means available within two weeks. I'm sure that means available in Japan, so probably another week on top of that to get to me.

My main issue has been with kawasaki, my local dealership in Memphis, seems to really be doing what they can, they have offered me heavy discounts on parts and service, kept me up to date about every other day, told me that they would steal one from another vaquero if they get one on trade or if they receive one of the 18s that are not already sold.
would have been nice to get a loaner bike from them, but i do have a small work car to get me around in the meantime, I just hate it...

assuming they checked around for a Voyager to steal from also?

Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #12

I'm having a little difficulty understanding how the clutch master cylinder could be turning the fluid black after 1000 miles. This is essentially brake fluid and is not going to turn black unless it is exposed to extreme heat or dirt. With all the Vaqueros and Voyagers sold, is this common?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBear View Post
I'm having a little difficulty understanding how the clutch master cylinder could be turning the fluid black after 1000 miles. This is essentially brake fluid and is not going to turn black unless it is exposed to extreme heat or dirt. With all the Vaqueros and Voyagers sold, is this common?
It sounds like the casting is bad.

Which is allowing moisture in, which is being absorbed by the brake fluid, making it a very dark and nasty looking mess.
VBA 936