Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > SouthCentral Rally - June 7, 2012

Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

South Central Rally Wrap Up

On June 6,7,8 & 9th the South Central Region had our Rally in Van Buren Arkansas, we have some of the best people in the SCR I asked Budman and Crystal and Jesse & Gina to help with the Rally this year and they jumped in and did just about everything, Thanks folks.
Most people arrived on Wednesday and we had plenty of refreshments waiting for us thanks to Dave & Crystal.
We were lucky enough to have Terri Conrad of Riders of Kawasaki to join us this year.
Thursday morning we started out at 08:30 for a ride Jesse had planed, which took us to Okalahoma to Sequoyah's Cabin near Sallisaw, Sequoyah is the inventor of the Cherokee's alphabet.
We then went north on U.S. 59 to the Cookson Hills before turning east back to Arkansas. Then into the Boston Mountains and a stop at Devil's Den State Park near Winslow. Just out side of Winslow we stopped at Grand Mothers Restaurant for some great country cooking we then took U, S, 71 and Arkansas 282 back to Van Buren about a 150 mile ride. That night Crystal had us 2 Hugh trays of chicken nuggets and fresh fruit and of course plenty of cold drinks.
Friday we left at 08:30 to go the other direction and ride south on U.S. 71 to Waldron then east on AR 28. We rode on the north side of Lake Nimrod the oldest ACOE Lake in the state.From there north on AR 7 then west to the lodge at Mt. Magazine State Park. It's Arkansas's newest state park. Signal Hill, a peak on the mountain is the highest point in the state. We had lunch at the lodge before riding north to Paris.
To get back across the river we went to Ozark and then headed west to Van Buren. This ride was about 200 miles.
Saturday was a free day but for those that wanted to Jim Morrow took a group on a ride on Arkansas 23 The Pig Trail.
But of coarse the main thing on Saturday was food Dave had a friend that has cooked at the Kansas City B.B.Q. cook of bring his smoker and cook for us, we had 4 very large Boston Butts, 15 racks of ribs and enough chicken for an army with baked beans and potato salad.
After supper we had raffle where we place items on the table and put a sack in front of each item we then sell tickets at a dollar each to be placed in the bag of your choice, after all the items have been given away we take the money and divide it up and put all the tickets back in a bag and the draw until all money has been given away this is handled by my wife Bea.
Sunday we said our goodbyes and every one left for home after a great 4 days of seeing old friends and making new ones we had 40 bikes and 55 people.
Thanks everyone for coming.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BudMan; 11-24-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #2

Sounds like you guys had a great time!! I'm sorry I missed it! I saw the pictures too, looked like some good riding.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #3

Irate

Going West to VBA Rally - SWR
Going East to VBA Rally - SCR
Trip Log:
1. On the road for 21 days
2. Total mileage – 5,281
3. Fastest Speed – 94 MPH on Arkansas State Highway 16
4. High point of ride – 11,580 feet – 2+ miles high
5. Longest day – 510 miles (last day – going home fever)
6. Rode in rain, sandstorm, snow showers, big time wind storm (3 days long), high temp of 105 and a low of 22.
7. My last – my last night sleeping on the ground. Left all my camping gear with my Son and used cheap hotels and RV cabins.
8. Yes, Fog Toggs work. But, they work better if you put them on before you hit rain!!
9. Best gas mileage – 45 MPG (flat run, no wind, 55-60 MPH)
10. Worst gas mileage – 29 MPG – riding into a 35+ MPH wind storm.
11. Two rest stops – both at my Son’s at Mesa Verde NP
12. I discovered that Brad is not really a bad guy.
13. Most asked question of me at the SCR – what is Bard like!
14. If you have not been on the “Burr Road” in Utah, try it. 30 miles of pavement before you hit dirt. Very little traffic. Outstanding red rock
15. Speaking of “red rock” – if you do not like red rock, skip Southern Utah.
16. Best free items – free beer courtesy of “Budman” Dave.
17. If you like the idea of free beer – attend the Antlers Rally in Oct.
18. Best Time? – seeing old friends and meeting new one.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #4

Great report Bill. Very interesting trip, I can visualize it thru your report.
VBA #628
IBA #54485