Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Instructions, Tutorials, Part Info, Recal Info, etc. > Electrical

Old 04-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

Hopkins 46365 Trailer Lights Converter Install

The following details how I installed my Hopkins model #46365. It is a replacement for my previous model 46255 which shorted in a heavy rainstorm. Hopkins designates this model as the "short proof" version of the 46255. It wires up the same as the previous model. The only differences are this converter case is a little larger than the other, it's input harness is shorter, and it has a hard wired 3' long output harness with a standard female flat trailer plug on the end of the harness. The same plug that the 46255 has built onto the case.

The first picture shows the power cable with an inline 20 amp fuse connected to the battery positive post. It may be difficult to pick out of the nest but all of the input signals to the Hoppy are spliced on the upstream side of my Kuryakyn Run/Turn/Brake module. Splicing into the downstream side will fry the Kuryakyn module. They are all in black shrink tubing on top of the Kury (red rectangular) module toward the right side of the picture. They all enter a flexible conduit and lead to a 6 pin plug that my Hoppy plugs into. Cactusjack gave me the idea of the plug to be able to remove the hitch and Hoppy before bringing the bike to the dealership for service or warranty work. Good thought.

The second picture shows the Hoppy converter tucked away beneath the coolant jug. I was happy that It fits perfectly there so I didn't have to cram it behind my left side cover with the TFI and future accessory fuse block. You can see the red power lead going up behind the fuse panel to the battery. The remaining wires are wrapped in electrical tape to the plug which is about 4 inches away and barely visible where the red power wire disappears. You can see the flexible conduit on the left of the plug going up to the splices in the first picture. (My coolant level isn't low. The bike is leaning toward the sidestand.)

This picture shows the output harness contained in the flexible conduit leaving the Hoppy and routed behind the shock.

This pic shows where I routed the output harness over the bag supports and beneath the chrome fender rails.

This picture shows how I anchored the end of the harness and plug to Chuckster's hitch with heavier zip ties.

This shows Chukster's hitch with the 180 degree swivel ball mount. You can barely see the flat plug in the vertical position on the right side.

For those who are contemplating a Chuckster hitch and were wondering how it looks without the ball mount, here it is. It's even less noticeable with the saddlebags mounted. Great hitch Joe, best on the market!

And another view:

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads