Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #16

Well my weekend is finally here, so ya ill be up all night reading through this forum. So apparently no one within 50 miles stocks pilot jets that fit this, so next best thing, lets drill out what i have! I have several spares that are too small. Didnt have too many drill bit options so the next biggest pilot i could make was .56mm, or a 56 pilot. Threw that in just now and holy crap what a difference! I think im a little on the rich side now but its way better! No more vibration at idle. There is one spot i might guess between 1800-2200 rpm where its gets pretty shaky but it actually feels like a bike now, and it drives way better too. I think i need to go bigger on my main now (165) as it looses a little pulling power when it gets up there but keeps pulling. Im sure the rest of the vibrations are from me installing the motor mounts wrong cuz no, i didnt take the weigh off them before torwuing them. So the jetting is WAY better but still needs som tweaking. The only weird thing it does now is at idle it sounds like a horse galloping, my rear cylinder misses like every 3rd time or so while idling so it sounds kind of funky. I’ll check my plug wires and coils and see how they ohm out. Im running meanie spark plugs, maybe the classic uses different plugs and thats throwing it out a little.. I do have the entire ignition system from the meanie still.

Sprayed some carb cleaner, dont seem to have any intake leaks �� pretty sure the ignition is fine how i have it set up as ive taken it to the rev limiter a few times now while riding. As long as they keyway is cut at the same angle on both cranks, which it looked like it was then my ignition timing should be fine. I dont have my timing light here but my plugs are all changing color right at the bend on the ground strap which at least tells me the timing is pretty dang close

How would i have my intake charge disrupted? And the fuel will fall out? Isnt it atomized by now?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #17

Actually i could see how it could be dispruted, im remembering now when i installed the intake, one of them was a little off, the boot hole didnt match perfectly on one of the intake ports, the port was maybe a mm or 2 off one direction, so there was a tiny bit of over hang.. Hmm, wonder if it was the rear cylinder.. Damn.. Either way im still into the bike under 1000 bucks with everything so far, and now it rides good enough for commuting at least, but im no where near done yet!

Old 11-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #18

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee09 View Post
Well my weekend is finally here, so ya ill be up all night reading through this forum. So apparently no one within 50 miles stocks pilot jets that fit this, so next best thing, lets drill out what i have! I have several spares that are too small. Didnt have too many drill bit options so the next biggest pilot i could make was .56mm, or a 56 pilot. Threw that in just now and holy crap what a difference! I think im a little on the rich side now but its way better! No more vibration at idle. There is one spot i might guess between 1800-2200 rpm where its gets pretty shaky but it actually feels like a bike now, and it drives way better too. I think i need to go bigger on my main now (165) as it looses a little pulling power when it gets up there but keeps pulling. Im sure the rest of the vibrations are from me installing the motor mounts wrong cuz no, i didnt take the weigh off them before torwuing them. So the jetting is WAY better but still needs som tweaking. The only weird thing it does now is at idle it sounds like a horse galloping, my rear cylinder misses like every 3rd time or so while idling so it sounds kind of funky. I’ll check my plug wires and coils and see how they ohm out. Im running meanie spark plugs, maybe the classic uses different plugs and thats throwing it out a little.. I do have the entire ignition system from the meanie still.

Sprayed some carb cleaner, dont seem to have any intake leaks �� pretty sure the ignition is fine how i have it set up as ive taken it to the rev limiter a few times now while riding. As long as they keyway is cut at the same angle on both cranks, which it looked like it was then my ignition timing should be fine. I dont have my timing light here but my plugs are all changing color right at the bend on the ground strap which at least tells me the timing is pretty dang close

How would i have my intake charge disrupted? And the fuel will fall out? Isnt it atomized by now?
No help at all.But i like your style of revving the shit out of it,hoping it will sort itself out.

Last edited by mick56; 11-27-2017 at 02:25 AM.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:35 PM   #19

It sounds like carb issues.

How long did that carb sit?

Are you absolutely sure you got all of the passages clean?

56 is too large a pilot. Use a 46. Check your "choke" cable to the carb. Is the plastic nut broken or separated from the steel elbow? That will throw off your fuel mixture if it won't close properly. How fresh is your battery? A bad battery will cause misfires. Swap out your plugs if they've fouled or carboned up at any point in the past.

Do you have ANY vacuum leaks, ANY?

The stock carb should run the Meanie engine without any adjustments necessary.

The Meanie will take more flow at WOT, but that really shouldn't affect the idle setup.

I would run 1 or 2 washers under the stock needle or drop the e-clip a notch or two if there is an adjustable needle.

I'll bet it just still has one or more blocked passages.
VBA 936

Last edited by MAS Tequila; 11-26-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:43 PM   #20

Your ignition should be fine.

You don't know it, but you did it the right way.

The FI ignition pick-ups will not work in their original locations with the carb'd spark box.

Now you have it set up like the factory did in 96, except with better heads and cams.
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
1500, classic, engine swap, meanstreak, vulcan