Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #31

I love my Nomad, and that's the truth

macmac, Do I have this right - 57 mpg consistently, 2-up, pulling a trailer?? I usually add about 4 gallons when the light comes on. That would still be 42 mpg, still pretty good.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #32
Sr. Contributor

I like to call what I get in MPG's 46 to 48. I may or not be right there, and can exceed it, but I have this problem jerking my right wrist. It is hard to get less than 46 mpgs 2 up and towing a trailer though.

So far as I am concernd, doing what I said, gets me apx 10 mpg's over stock for each and every gallon, no matter how much I scare ol grannie in her grave.

(What I think)

When I did this with Cadd in Cal, I was looking for more "Romp" and power in a usable form.

Well we both knew we would get that, not a great deal but some. I think Cadd calls it apx 10% in the seat of the pants in lower gears..

I am dead sure my 01 went about 145 miles before it was ready for fuel. (no yellow light) stock.

When I left Cal most of the work had just been completed and there hadn't been time to test it all. Lots of time got sucked up with all sorts of OT things. Lots of work because of a crash and a dealer that didn't know a screw driver from a rock. More because Cadd and I found a drive shaft seizing up in one axis.

Anyway what I think is that particular bike all stock was working to stay running, because it was factory tooooooo LEAN. It would ping with 93 Oct if I romped it going to slow in a high gear easy. After that work it never pinged again in any way I could tell.

IMO Nomads are crud enough that it is possible the TFI chip is the best bang for the buck. I never had the cobra version , which seems similar, and similar priced.

I never had the PC III set up either, but I tend to think that is over kill, and if you like blowing big wads of money for not much more than blowing big wads of money, then thas fine.

My TFI settings are different than the book, and are LESS on the pots than most use.

I can hardly see my bike yet, since getting to it in the trailer is tuff these days. The SNOW being banked up around the trailer as it is. When I can get there to see better, I will post where my pots are. These are more or less set for low end RPM romp, and then some what leaner in cruise modes where I hit the interstates an go 80 MPH +, but stay pretty steady in RPM.

I was in no real hurry, and made 9,000 miles from NH to Cal. For lack of tech things to do and using a debit card, I kept track of gas and miles all thje way out.

Same thing heading East. From Cal to Fla, we made 6,000 miles.

It should be evident I have no clue what a straight line is. In Fla I made a wrong turn it seems and ended up in Arkansas. I hit that place on Thanksgiving day 05, and dinked around there for 90 days. We bought a 3/4ton van and a trailer to put the bike and the bikes trailer in, which confuses everyone.

The van was a conversion van with a bed! No more freezing. We then headed east to Tn Ky Ga NC, and were headed to Williamsburg Va when on May 16th we discovered the bike had been stolen out of the big trailer in Beckley W.Va., along with 2 boxes of flint at about 50 pounds each, a deer skull I found in Tn, ALL my wifes clothing in her back pack, and a big bin with tools, camping gear, and assorted other items. All that stuff was in the way of swiping the bike fast I guess. They took everything they moved.

These days 1 guy is doing time I guess. The bike had W.Va. tags on it, while I still held the title and the reg. I have no idea how that can happen.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak031
Nah, they have their own relationship.They just keep it a secret from you.
Yikes! Maybe I'll go out one morning and there will be a 'little scotter' out there. :)
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #34

Now wouldn't that be cute.It would be a Nomuzzi or Motosaki.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
I'm a lot like TC. I got this bike to cruise and do some over-nighters with my wife. It goes as fast as I need it to and I have no complaints about it.

A guy I know at work said about 10 years ago he dumped 30 grand into a susuki he had and went 140 MPH 1 time. In hind site he said it was waste and asked how fast do you really need to go? Having a CDL I'm not into getting speeding tickets. I try to be a safe and courteous driver and have a clean driving record that I'm proud of.
+1 My thoughts exactly !!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #36
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak031
Nah, they have their own relationship.They just keep it a secret from you.
Yikes! Maybe I'll go out one morning and there will be a 'little scotter' out there. :)
Be careful what you wish for. I met my wife at a restaurant for lunch a while ago. When I went in, mine was the only bike around. When I came out though...well...we're still looking for the father...

VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 04-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #37
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB,voices tell me evil things
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2

Be careful what you wish for. I met my wife at a restaurant for lunch a while ago. When I went in, mine was the only bike around. When I came out though...well...we're still looking for the father...

Hey, that's the same scooter that is there when I meet your wife for lunch too.........

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #38
Top Contributor

And you looked so huge riding that little scooter around too. My wife said it was almost funnier than seeing your other "little scooter."
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss

Todd and BD

Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #39

I am NEVER showing you guys a photo of my wife!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #40
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Hey, that's the same scooter that is there when I meet your wife for lunch too.........
Dang Todd, that was funny! I almost sprayed my monitor with root beer.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #41

I guess when you find the father, you'll be asking him to pay for scooter maintenance ( oil changes, baths, tires, batteries,etc.) until the scooter has a certain mileage on it. I guess the burning question is what if the scoot turns out to be gay ?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #42
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
I guess when you find the father, you'll be asking him to pay for scooter maintenance ( oil changes, baths, tires, batteries,etc.) until the scooter has a certain mileage on it. I guess the burning question is what if the scoot turns out to be gay ?
<marquee>Then we'll know it's Nico's</marquee>

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #43

If one is a gay Chiropractor, does that give a new meaning to " going in for an adjustment" ? Could it be called a " front end alignment" ?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #44
Top Contributor

LMAO!!!!!
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss

Todd and BD

Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #45

Now that's some funny stuff.