Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #1

First Bike Rally vs. Riding

Went on a fun little 500 miler this weekend to the Anacortes Oyster Bike Rally.

I decided I am not a rally type of guy. Love the ride to and from but the actual rally (vendor booths, bike gazing, etc) was not my cup of tea.

It was a small rally compared to Sturgis and Wing Dings....only 20,000 bikes from what I hear....but it was insane. Crowded, lots of waiting in traffic, fight the crowd walking around.

Now don't get me wrong. If I had stayed in town and didn't have to ride in and out and could have sat outside drank a couple beers and just people watch it would have been fun. It was very well organized, great weather, and lots of vendors.

But if I had to do it all over again I would have just used the extra time to ride the coastline w/just the few buddies I went with.

I did see more Nomads there than anywhere else that I have been...a total of 4 !!

I was hoping to see Big John and Kris but did not see them...too many people.

I did meet a nice guy named Gregory on his Nomad and gave him a Kawanow card..he said he would drop in on us.

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #2

Schoeney, I haven't been to my first rally yet, but believe I share your view. Had the chance to go to Lone Star last year w/ some other biker friends. We all decided to skip out and take our ride in a more wooded and less crowded area. They had been before and would have gone but I could see that their heart wasn't really in it. And I really have never liked crowded situations where I couldn't move easily if I wanted to.

I really enjoy the company of other people of like mind and interests, but around my circle of biker buds, we seem to enjoy the ride more than the show. Even if the show can sometimes be entertaining.

One of our favorite things to do is vacation together, even if only for a 3 day run. We don't always stay together but we will meet up by days end. We may rent a house and share cooking out and such things. Don't mind going it alone either. Mostly though, it's all about the ride.

Oh, yeah, and trying to spot and meet the other guy on the Nomad. Everybody loves the bike they ride, but maybe there's something a little special about the Nomad owner?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

I went to Cyclefest in Scottsdale last April as part of AZ Bike Week. Lots of vendors, mostly selling the same imported crap. Cheap leather, cheap sunglasses, bandannas and patches. They had some decent entertainment and the bike bike builders like OCC had nice stuff. It was okay. We weren't there when they were doing the test rides, or I would have ridden a Victory Vision. You can bet I'll be there next year, hoping to ride a 2009 Voyager, if they have them.

These kind of things aren't really my cup of tea, either.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #4

Paul,
That's a good way to put it.
Rich

Old 09-29-2008, 05:28 AM   #5

I went to my first rally this weekend too. It was cool to see so many bikes in one spot. There was approx. 4000 bikes of every kind there but mostly hd. The cause was for santa anonymous toy ride so that was great to see such a good turn out. Very well organised too but was glad to leave and get the heck out of town and back to the open road. I had mixed feelings about it, very excited to go but thrilled to leave and couldn't figure out why until about an hr of riding I had to pull over in the middle of nowhere just to give my butt a break. Then I realized what it was, alone, quiet, nature, my own pace. Then I felt like not going home but wanted to just ride for the next two weeks. Suddenly reality set in, hmm..get the heck home, gotta be at work in ten hrs....Bdog

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #6

It is not the destination it is the journey

Old 09-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #7

schoney - sorry we missed you. But, we got to the Country Farm Inn on Hwy 20, looked at the mass of people goign in and decided that Chuckanut was calling much louder than the roar of the Harlies. We did exactly what you were wanting to do, rode. All totaled I think we did a little over 225 miles yesterday. Snohomish - Arlington - Stanwood - Conroe - the Farm - Bellingham - Big Lake - Arlington - Granite Falls - Snohomish then home. Great weather, great ride excellent friends. it could not have been a better day for us.

Kris and his wife, Ken and his brothter plus Roger from the BTK forum. We Ken and brother did go into the thick of the fray. Haven't heard from them, yet. But, just a most excellent day, Dude!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
Went on a fun little 500 miler this weekend to the Anacortes Oyster Bike Rally.

I decided I am not a rally type of guy. Love the ride to and from but the actual rally (vendor booths, bike gazing, etc) was not my cup of tea.

It was a small rally compared to Sturgis and Wing Dings....only 20,000 bikes from what I hear....but it was insane. Crowded, lots of waiting in traffic, fight the crowd walking around.

Now don't get me wrong. If I had stayed in town and didn't have to ride in and out and could have sat outside drank a couple beers and just people watch it would have been fun. It was very well organized, great weather, and lots of vendors.

But if I had to do it all over again I would have just used the extra time to ride the coastline w/just the few buddies I went with.

I did see more Nomads there than anywhere else that I have been...a total of 4 !!

I was hoping to see Big John and Kris but did not see them...too many people.

I did meet a nice guy named Gregory on his Nomad and gave him a Kawanow card..he said he would drop in on us.
John and I chose not to go into Anacortes for that very reason. We rode very close, then rode north up Chuckanut Drive to Bellingham, passing over 1000 bikes coming south on Chuckanut Dr. alone!

Every small town along the way was choked with bikes. Very impressive to see...even more so when riding the opposite direction... !

We then headed east to Hwy 9 then took some great back roads home again making for an awesome day. Sorry we missed you Greg...but it was a glorious day weather-wise and the sight of so many bikes was inspiring...if not insane!

Kris
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #9

Hi Kris and BigJohn,

Glad you had a great ride. This rookie learned a lesson about himself and rally's.
VBA #659

Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #10

There was a MDA ride in Salt Lake that I used to ride, it was about 2,500 riders. I'd head out at the beginning of the line up, and when we got out about 5-10 miles I'd peal off and come back. That way I was riding against the stream of bikes and could get a good look.

Then I'd go for a real ride. The best of both worlds :)

And yes I've been to Sturgis, but when nobody was home, and loved it :)

Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #11

I've been to Sturgis too: In June. I've never been to the rally, although it is on my Bucket List. I'm not crazy about crowds, but I think I'll go there once so I can say I've done it.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #12

Been to Laconia during bike week many times. The schedule that we'd keep is kind of like this. Thurs we'd ride to NH, check into a bed and breakfast that we's stay at, ride and eat, drink at the end of the day. Fri was an all day ride in the mountains. Sat morning we'd go to Weirs and scout everything going on, and leave for an afternoon run, then eat and drink some more. Sunday, quick stop at Weirs to pick up something you may want from a vendor, because they're all packing up and sell things cheaper, followed by a ride home.

Personally, I'd rather skip Weirs beach and ride more. There are so many bikes on the road that you see enough of them just riding. I hate crowds and traffic, and when you've done it once or even twice, that's enough for me.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #13

I used to live by the Big Lake Bar and Grill on Hwy 9. Hey, I woulda waved from my front porch! Lots of bikes, lots of idiots on bike too. I tend to avoid rallies - I've not been to one yet that was worth my time.

Last year I went to the Oyster Run, but parked at the hospital and walked downtown. Stayed an hour or two and left, taking the back way out of town to Pass Lake, then more back roads to Laconner and points east and south.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
I used to live by the Big Lake Bar and Grill on Hwy 9.
Taranis,
We stopped there (Big Lake Bar and Grill) for a great buffet lunch on our way home and there were probably 30 other bikes there!

Just riding in the area of a good rally is all you need to do to be part of it. I hate getting older, but wiser is not such a bad thing... ;)!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 09-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
I used to live by the Big Lake Bar and Grill on Hwy 9.
Taranis,
We stopped there (Big Lake Bar and Grill) for a great buffet lunch on our way home and there were probably 30 other bikes there!

Just riding in the area of a good rally is all you need to do to be part of it. I hate getting older, but wiser is not such a bad thing... ;)!
VBA #659