Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #31
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
HLKNVLCN60, look forward to your report on the new Metz 888 Ultra.

I have had very good luck with the MC II's, however, the wet road traction is IMO the weak spot. Finding a alternative which provides good even wear, durability, ride and good traction in all conditions may be a pipe-dream. But that is what I am hoping for. Yup, the perfect tire...

Ride safe,
Smokier
The perfect tire set...is there really such a thing? One can only wonder.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #32
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
The perfect tire set...is there really such a thing? One can only wonder.
Most tires are a compromise.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Most tires are a compromise.
Exactly. Longer wearing means less traction. I prefer more traction than MCIIs and more wear than Bridgestones, the two extremes. Haven't found a happy medium yet.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #34
Top Contributor

The Avon Cobra was good in the rain with long life.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Seems like everyone who has tried them has liked them. I considered them for a while, but after extensive research, I decided that putting radials on these big bikes was not something I wanted to do.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-02-2019, 05:33 AM   #36

Quote:
The two AVON's I tried both cupped. I know, I know, air pressure. I check tire pressures regularly. I had no complaints about traction or longevity, just the cupping. So back to the search for the perfect unicorn, err tire.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 04-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #37

New front tire on the way

Oh, Crap. Just realized I need a new front tire while cleaning the bike. 8190 miles and I am down to the wear bar , yes I found them, I am sure this time and to close to call.
So I was a stock front tire guy all the way. All the research and formulated the best hypothesis, Based off of all opinions and graphed the results. Countless hours of reading crap and tracking wear , miles and wet vs dry opinions, Sure that the best tire was stock due to the bearing issues and wobble. Maybe if I got at least 10,000 miles on my stock tire I may have the same old opinion, but not now. Now... Well.. very disappointed in the wear ( Pissed off) so much so I am going to try the Metzeler Cruisetec MT90B 72H Dual compound On the front. I have not seen any reviews good or bad, Just going for it. Stay tuned for Brutal riding and reviews on the tire that has no reviews.
Just got an MC11 for the rear last year after 6500 miles on the stock tire. So I'm good there only 2600 miles on it.

Just getting this party started. Maybe next week I will have some news to share. I have a day off during the week to get it installed next week. The shop I use is first come first serve on tires, but only Mon-Fri.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
The two AVON's I tried both cupped. I know, I know, air pressure. I check tire pressures regularly. I had no complaints about traction or longevity, just the cupping. So back to the search for the perfect unicorn, err tire.

Ride safe,
Smokier
Just curious. What is the max psi on the sidewall of the front (AV71 MT90B16, I assume) and what pressure are you running at?

I can get all of the specs but the max psi online. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2019, 11:35 PM   #39

Big question On tires

So those that Know me , know I am not always the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. Or The sharpest tool in the shed. However....
I was told today when I bought my new FRONT tire that they thought I should also get a matching rear tire because he thought the different tire brands may not work out so well. I was purchasing the New Metzlerer Cruisetec MT90-16 72H dual compound. This is a bias tire not radial. WTF is the point???? I have a Commander 11 on the rear that I just purchased from them last year, not that they remember, yet never told me that then. When I had a stock tire still on the front. I Always run the commander 11 rear tire, they last longer. Not that they are the best but they last and are acceptable in handling. YMMV
Many years ago I had a Matched set of Continentals on my 500 Honda and it did perform very well, was I just dreaming? Or was their something to it, Now and then or just then?

These things make me question all My hypothesis on tires and handling, not that there is a definitive answer. Per say . It is the "Unicorn Factor" rearing it's ugly head. SALES PITCH or ????????

Your thoughts??? Please

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 04-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #40

I have always mixed tires. Right now on my Victory I have an Avon Cobra front and Dunlop Elite 4 rear. Handles greart in wet or dry.

Sounds to me like he was wanting to make a little extra money since rear tires are more expensive than front tires.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 04-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Just curious. What is the max psi on the sidewall of the front (AV71 MT90B16, I assume) and what pressure are you running at?

I can get all of the specs but the max psi online. Thanks!
AV71 150/80R16 MAX 42 psi cold. I run/ran it at 40 psi.

MBarr, I too run mixed tires. If the tire condition warrants changing both, then usually a matched set. Since rear tires run about 1/2 of a front tire for longevity, that matched set gets broken up at 10k (+/-) miles... Personally, would consider it a sales ploy to force the sale of two tires by stating they should be matched. IMHO.

The only combination to stay away from when mixing is radial and bias. For example, read somewhere that a front radial and a rear bias are not acceptable<?>. Rear radial and front bias is supposedly acceptable <?>. ((*I* am not sure about this radial/bias mix thing - maybe shouldn't even have posted this paragraph...))

Ride safe,
Smokier

Last edited by smokier; 04-06-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #42

Sales pitch.

Iv'e have Bridgstone Spitfire on the front, and MCII, Shinko, Bridgestone Exedra regular and Max on the rear of the Nomad. 40,000+ miles on about ever terrain and never felt like the bike was handling poorly.

I personal like to experiment with different brands. My Next tires will be probably be Bridgestone Battle Cruiser's. Now if you would like to put a set on your bike and let me know how they work, I wouldn't talk you out of it.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 04-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #43
Top Contributor

I have a Metzeler 888 (bias) on the front and a Michelin Commander II on the rear. 20,000 kms and all is well.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #44

Mixing all bias on a big cruiser is not a problem. As I said before, after some investigation, I will stay away radials on the Voyager. Some bike mfg do mix radials and bias from the factory (I forget if it is usually radial front/bias rear or vice versa), but they only do it on smaller bikes, not 900 lbs behemoths.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #45

Put the front tire on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
So those that Know me , know I am not always the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. Or The sharpest tool in the shed. However....

Your thoughts??? Please

Well #1 I don't really know you that well and agree with the statements above.

#2 - Tell them to put the front tire on and you'll get back to them on the rear one after a while. Tell them that your wife spent all of your tax return on Flowers and Birdhouses for the yard and you will have to wait until you get a part time job to afford new rear tires. Unless they are to give you a trade in allowance on your old new rear tire and will take your neighbors coon dog even up for the new tire.

Those are my thoughts - Good Luck -