Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Pissed Jerky throttle at low speeds.

After Ivan's Ecu flash, I still have jerky throttle response at town speeds. It's beginning to make me want to get a different bike. I have done throttle adjustments, with and without Racing Ray's mod, different idle settings. Any other ideas? Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Give Ivan a call ?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #3

Got a 1600 that has suffered from the same thing. I find that having zero slack in the throttle cables and a squeaky clean throttle body makes it pretty much disappear.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

I cleaned the throttle body about 1000 miles ago and thought that helped. Maybe it's getting dirty quickly in this humidity. Will try it again. Thanks

Old 08-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #5

I have taken the slack out as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #6

Have you tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT44 View Post
After Ivan's Ecu flash, I still have jerky throttle response at town speeds. It's beginning to make me want to get a different bike. I have done throttle adjustments, with and without Racing Ray's mod, different idle settings. Any other ideas? Thanks
Mine is jerky also, I tried a tank full of Mid-Grade yesterday and either I'm starting to figure out the Jerkyness or its less noticeable. Also, I did not experience any Pinging - But then again I didn't do any Wide Open launches - Which really is not my riding style.

I found that when I lead the group of 2 I ride with, It's less jerky and when I follow my wife's Spyder. Where we used to ride in a closer formation, I find it hard to keep up tight while at speeds around 35-45. I'm afraid I'm gonna plow into her. (It's all that extra power)

Old 08-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Throttle grip/handlebar clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT44 View Post
Check the clearance between the handlebar and the throttle grip. Mine had .030" clearance which is a lot, considering the ECM is reading every little movement.

I took the grip off and used my inside and outside micrometers it to see how much clearance there was. But you could see it just by moving the grip up and down. Not side by side.

I took some black electrical tape and wrapped it around the handlebar in two places. It also took two layers. I had to stretch it to get it thin enough to get the grip on. I put a little ATF to lube it.

Problem solved on this part of the herky jerky mode.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Last edited by Snake Ranch; 08-31-2016 at 07:04 AM.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Check the clearance between the handlebar and the throttle grip. Mine had .030" clearance which is a lot, considering the ECM is reading every little movement.

I took the grip off and miced it to see how much clearance there was. But you could see it just by moving the grip up and down. Not side by side.

I took some black electrical tape and wrapped it around the handlebar in two places. It also took two layers. I had to stretch it to get it thin enough to get the grip on. I put a little ATF to lube it.

Problem solved on this part of the herky jerky mode.
I've never taken a grip off a bike, can you explain this in further detail? Mine too is very herky jerky...

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust

Old 08-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Were your bikes "herky jerky" before the flash, or only since the flash ?

Old 08-30-2016, 07:25 PM   #10

Always been that way. It doesn`t sputter or anything, just wants to go with just a little twist or when you let off slows very quickly. I pull in the clutch more than necessary to try and smooth it out. My 1500 was very smooth and I have a 900 that is very smooth.

Last edited by KURT44; 08-30-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #11

Mine was a little herky jerky when I bought it ( it already had Rays mod). Once I had the ECU flashed it was worse. It felt undriveable at low speeds. I took the mod off and it's 95% better. Almost no hurky jerky felling at all.

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 08-31-2016, 12:00 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
I've never taken a grip off a bike, can you explain this in further detail? Mine too is very herky jerky...
Look at the top of the housing for the throttle grip. There are two phillips head screws in kind of a square plate. There is one more on the front of the housing just below level with the brake lever. Put a blanket on the fuel tank to protect it so you don't chip the paint. Trust me I know. Look at the throttle cables coming out the bottom of the throttle housing, there are two, and they are chrome. They have a small black rubber sleeves on the chrome hex area by the black plastic, that can be pushed back. Push them back and use a wrench to back the jam nuts off. Screw the adjusters for the cable in to create some slack in the cables.

Take the three screws out and the housing, it will come apart in two pieces. The lower half may want to fall off the handle bar. If you are not sure of getting the cables back in the same location, mark them. Pull the cables out and slip the tube off the handle bar.

If you are going to use black electrical tape, pull it tight but don't overlap it unless you are going all the way around. You want it round like the handlebar.

I used black electrical tape because it offered the best thickness for filling the gap that my skoot had. I can't believe all these skoots would have the same clearance in the grip tube. Depending what the gap is you may need to use something different. I put a little ATF fluid on the tape prior to reassembly, as it was kinda sticky. After a short time the stickiness went away.

When you go back together use RacnRays method to adjust the cables.

You can find his adjustment instruction by doing a search with his name on the form.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:06 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Transmission gear and shaft backlash

Even though Ivan's mod has eliminated the fuel-cut jerkiness you will always feel some jerky motion due to backlash or clearance in the transmission gears and shafts.

I don't think you can get away from it 100 percent.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:12 AM   #14

Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Even though Ivan's mod has eliminated the fuel-cut jerkiness you will always feel some jerky motion due to backlash or clearance in the transmission gears and shafts.

I don't think you can get away from it 100 percent.
Allow me to ramble a bit. The Jerkyness.

Prior to the Ivan Mod the two things we 1700 riders complained about was Lack of Power and Backfire on Decel. After Ivan Mod we have Power out the wazu and Jerkieness on Decel.

I'm gonna bet that in the OEM KAW tune - they detuned the engine intentionally to give the Decel Popping as a way of keeping the ride smoother as you let off the accelerator. Less engine braking. This probably also helped meet the emission requirements. But this OEM tuning resulted in sluggish acceleration and top end. In this tune the transition between Full throttle (not sure if torque is the right word) and No throttle free wheeling was minimal. Let's put it on a scale of 0 to 10 for this conversation.

Along comes Ivan and gives us what we wanted in Power and eliminated the Decel Pop. Anyone who has ridden an Ivan Tune plainly see's that the Power end has moved to a 20 which we all love and the bike goes faster faster. But as the result of the high end tune it introduces engine back pressure introduced MORE engine braking on Decel. So let's call it -10 on our imaginary scale.

So where we started with a 10 unit swing from Full On to Full Off with the OEM tune we now have a 20 unit swing from Full On to Full Off. But that 20 swing is still in the same throttle grip turn distance. This translates into a very touchy throttle for us who were used to turning it a certain amount to get a certain result. Hence the Herkie-Jerkies.

Enter the Racing Ray throttle mod (which if I understand it) allowed you to move from Full On to Full Off in less distance of twisting the throttle - thus going to a 5 unit on our imaginary scale. It allowed a quicker throttle response to get to the speed/RPM you wanted. It also maintained the Lethargic OEM power and Decel Pop. But it helped the overall rideability which is good.

Solution (My opinion) - we need to retrain ourselves. We need to relearn which gear and which throttle (Smoothness) we need to keep the Jerkies away.

I've ridden somewhere close to 100,000 miles on a 3 different Voyagers. My instinctive riding style has been set. Now with about 600 miles on my Ivan Modded Voyager - I'm trying to relearn. I'm thinking I will get there - it's just gonna take time to retrain my Right Wrist on how to Decelerate and Maintain a slower traffic pace.

Sorry for the long windiness - Maybe this will help, Maybe it's garbage - Who knows - Again my rambling thoughts. If nuthing else, I may have just convinced myself that I need to ride my bike more to get more comfortable.......

Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
Advanced Member

My observation is less engine braking after the Ivan flash. I have a fair bit of deceleration jerking as well, although I don't think it's much worse than stock. I've been running the Ivan flash for 40k and dshelly's quick throttle for 250k so my recollection of stock may have faded somewhat.
At the first hint of deceleration jerk I am quick to pull the clutch lever and just coast until I'm ready for the next downshift, or throttle up.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.