Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 08-10-2008, 02:38 AM   #1

"Honey, don't tell my mom about the skateboard!"

It's bad enough that Mom doesn't like me riding a motorcycle. I hope she doesn't find out that I'm still riding a skateboard. I had to warn my wife not to tell her. The poor woman worries too much already.

As it is, my wife kinda freaked out when she found out I was riding it. She told me, "You're going to have a heart attack!" The truth is that I need the exercise so I won't have a heart attack, and with my bum knee I can't jog, but amazingly I can still ride a skateboard. For short periods anyhow...I forgot how much work it really is, and particularly when you're pushing around about 210 lbs.

The kids in my neighborhood were a bit amazed. 53 year old fat guys are not supposed to ride skateboards, and they're certainly not supposed to ride them on two wheels without falling off; but I learned when I was 8 years old, and some things you just don't forget.

Some of my fondest childhood memories were of riding the hills in Duluth. It was a total obstacle course. The pavement was all scarred and broken from the severe winters, and it was a challenge just to weave your way through it all.

I am going to have to get a long cruiser board though. This short stunt board of mine is too twitchy for any real street riding.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2008, 04:49 AM   #2

check into the 2 wheel board "ripstick"

http://www.ripstick-skateboard.com/

Old 08-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Like Dan Lund trying to stick his Nomad were no sane man has gone before you are one sick puppy CMQ. LOL. More power to you. I get all the thrills I need trying to make my truck go where no sane man will venture and pull an unwieldy hose across stretches of slick ice and deep snow; at least I get paid to do it.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #4

I remember learning to skateboard. We called it sidewalk surfing. That was about 1964. I have not been on a board since about 1965 and I don't think I am going to try that again.LOL. Now rollerskates or ice skates, that would be different.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Top Contributor

We used to ride a piece pf wood about 15" long with a roller skate split in 2 attached underneath. We used to paint them wild colors of the '60s and paint the ever popular racing stripes off to one side on them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #6

I learned at about 8 years old too. That was back in the metal wheel time period. By 5th grade I had urethane wheels. Back in my day boards stayed on the ground. Even the guys who rode in empty swimming pools stayed on the ground.

I remember the first time I saw a kid do an Ollie (spell) I was amazed. I thought that they must have velcro or something. If I could do just one trick that my 20 year old can do, and go back to Jr. High, I'd be the king of skateboarding.

And if they had skate parks when I was a kid, that would have been my hangout. I still go by the skate park here in Denver (very scenic) and I'm very tempted to buy a board. It still talks to me.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #7

It was the closest thing to surfing we had in rural Iowa in the early 60's, if we just would have had a hill.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #8

It was about '64 when I got my first real "store-bought" skateboard. Actually, my mom bought it for me because she thought it was safer than the home made stuff were were riding. (She was right too.) It was one of the very few available at the time and it was a Hang Ten model. Some of you might remember those. When I was 12 she bought me an aluminum board with real Chicago trucks and wheels. By 17 I was riding a plywood kicktail with Tracker trucks and Kryptonics wheels, urethane suspension, and 3-M grip tape. I did not paint stupid stuff on the bottom. It seemed a bit obsessive to me.

Back in the early 70's we had a real skate park here: The Mogul Bowl. It was a seriously fast one too. A good bit of it was way too fast for the masses (including me). The designers were trying to attract world-class guys to skate there, but with only limited success. They had legal problems and within 3 years it was closed and demolished.

They've actually built some public ones here in the last 10 years, but they are far less radical. I haven't ridden in either of them. Doing a kick turn on a steep wall is way beyond me at my current weight. ;)

Old 08-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

I learned to skateboard on the metal wheels too. Damn near jarred your fillings loose on a rough road. Eventually graduated to urethanes. Back then, about as adventurous as we got was going down the long, wide steps in front of the elementary school. The neighborhood I grew up in had no sidewalks, so you had to ride the asphalt.

In the wintertime, when there would be a good coating of ice on the roads we would go "hickeybobbing" or "skitching" as I believe it's known in other parts of the country. Hang onto a car bumper and they'd pull you on your shoe soles. It was great fun until you hit a dry patch of road and did a face plant.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #10

CJ..I've always called that CRAZY!!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #11

Caddmann,
Some of the areas in Duluth would be REAL exciting to skateboard in!!
VBA #00671

Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #12

There were lots of streets that were simply too steep to skate down. You'd be going 30 MPH in 15 feet!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

I got a tow rope... ;-)

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
VBA Founder

I rode on metal wheels when I was a kid also. BTW Cadd, you and I are the same age, so I figure we went through the same things as a kid.

I used to ride constantly on my skateboard....up and down the driveway, street, anything that had a smooth surface. Wore the metal wheels down to the little metal axles. I threw the paper as a kid also... Dallas Morning News. Got up every morning at 3am and rode my bike to the designated spot and folded and threw my route. Made enough money to have two bicycles! One to ride around and show and one with monster metal bags for throwing my route.

I also was very good at Frisbee golf as a kid.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 08-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #15

My paper route was the Duluth Air Force Base. Sometimes I got to ride my bike, but often I used a toboggan.

This is the new Sector-9 Uluwatu, 46" laminated bamboo. What a difference from when we were kids, huh?

(My boss had to jump on it and remark about how this was a total midlife crisis thing--like the Nomad wasn't a tip off. ;) )