Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #1

Mesh Jackets

Thought I'd try to lift this topic and quote from Wolfman's recent thread on 'Some of thoughts about recent observations' where this came up as sort of a side topic where it might get lost but of maybe wider interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd

Mesh jackets. In the eyes of our (MSF) instructor, brand again was the least of his concerns. He did the same thing with 2 mesh Jackets. The mesh weave was virtually identical in pattern and the material was the same and both had CE approved removable armor. Other than a few minor cosmetic differences the jackets were extremely similar. Again, the name brand was $199 while the other was from ebay/motodirect at $68.
I looked at a few different mesh jackets and found big differences. Not so much in construction material or armor but other important things. Don't recall all the brands or models but some can be very rough-cut inside so are scratchy on your skin if only wearing a t-shirt. Some are size-cut strange, tight or short on waist for example. To me a raintight removable liner was important - some don't have them, some are breathable some are not. The non breathable ones can quickly become unbearable in much heat. Then there are other things like colors, designs and pockets more to personal taste but some functionality. And of course the extent and quality of the armor is important but as tkd indicated, most but not all do pretty well with that. I thought I did pretty well getting just what I wanted in the mid $100-$200 range but may have missed something, definitely did not want some of the ones I looked at.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #2

Mesh Jackets

i have the tourmaster intake very comfortable and has a rain liner i have ridden in rain several times with this jacket and was totally dry. if i remember right i paid 139 for it great jacket
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 07-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Mesh Jackets

I bought the Powertrip Mojave jacket from Newenough.com. It is the best fitting mesh jacket I've ever put on. I'm a hard fit because I'm uh, well..."stocky", and most of the jackets I tried on in stores just are cut weird for me. I rolled the dice and ordered it, couldn't find one locally to try on and it must have been my lucky day. I'm wearing it in the b&w picture below...
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #4

Mesh Jackets

I finally got tourmaster intake over a cheaper mesh jacket the kaw dealer carried. I believe the cheaper mesh was made by nitro racing. It just did not have the same features as the tourmaster. Just a matter of personal choice. I was going to order one from new enough, but I'm one of those. I got to see it and feel it kind of guys. My intention was to find one locally to see and feel, then order one if necessary. My last stop on this mission was the local Suzuki dealer and he just got in a shipment from tourmaster. Had my size and color so I bought it even though I could have got it a little cheaper online.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Mesh Jackets

thx skimo for the details, I'll be checking the tourmaster series 2 jacket soon. they are the same price as the older version too. :-)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #6

Mesh Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave
i have the tourmaster intake very comfortable and has a rain liner i have ridden in rain several times with this jacket and was totally dry. if i remember right i paid 139 for it great jacket
My post would say exactly what bigdave said

My intention was to find one locally to see and feel, then order one if necessary
If we all do this pretty soon there will be no dealers. The dealers invest in stock to sell, not to have us check them and order off line.
Not pointing fingers just stating my opinion. I will jump down off my soapbox now.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #7

Mesh Jackets

I certainly didn't mean to imply that all gear is created equal. Comfort and personal fit has to be there. I believe what my instructor was trying to pass on was that you in many cases the protection factors are the same regardless of price.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #8

Mesh Jackets

Here's more on mesh jackets for you Ells

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ad=1759&page=1

Old 07-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #9

Mesh Jackets

Thnx Joe. Guess I wasn't paying attention to mesh jacket threads last winter.

tkd, Didn't mean to be critical of you or the instructor, just wanted to point out some reasons for the price differences in these jackets. I have seen some reports of differences in the protection as well, although most agree that if it is CE rated it is OK. Removable armor can also be a desirable feature.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #10

Mesh Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
My intention was to find one locally to see and feel, then order one if necessary
If we all do this pretty soon there will be no dealers. The dealers invest in stock to sell, not to have us check them and order off line.
Not pointing fingers just stating my opinion. I will jump down off my soapbox now.
Well shame on me, but price rules in the free market place some of the time. ;) There's always going to be dealers, just the smart ones will survive. The smart ones knows not to order a ton of men's small jackets. Smart ones knows not to ask full MSRP on every in the store. Smart ones are willing to wheel and deal. The local Suzuki dealer is a smart one because he knows I can get it online for less so he priced it ten dollars more than the average online price. He not trying to make a killing on just one sale. I being the consumer was willing to pay more for a product I could have gotten cheaper, but I was willing to pay more for convenience. I just wish the local kawa dealer carried the tourmaster line because all the aftermarket stuff I have ordered through them has been heavily discounted since my Nomad purchase.