Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #1

voyager rear trunk question

is there anyway move the trunk back a few inches
02 nomad 1500 sold

https://epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap...FL.NJ.MD.CT.RI

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #2

I don't think there is an easy way to move the trunk rearward without having to hack up the chrome covers that are over the framework. I looked at this when I first got my Voyager last spring as my wife and I felt crowded on the bike.

However, I did find a solution to create an extra 1". Doesn't sound like much but it made a huge difference. What I did is I removed the rubber mounts that mount the passenger backrest to the trunk. The mounts that come stock on the VV push the backrest pad forward 1 - 1 1/4" forward. I removed these and made my own mounts that allow the backrest pad to me mounted tight against the trunk. I think the stock mounts are made like they are to isolate any vibes from the trunk but my wife did not notice any more vibes but we both noticed how much more room it created.

Hope this helps...

Old 03-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I don't think there is an easy way to move the trunk rearward without having to hack up the chrome covers that are over the framework. I looked at this when I first got my Voyager last spring as my wife and I felt crowded on the bike.

However, I did find a solution to create an extra 1". Doesn't sound like much but it made a huge difference. What I did is I removed the rubber mounts that mount the passenger backrest to the trunk. The mounts that come stock on the VV push the backrest pad forward 1 - 1 1/4" forward. I removed these and made my own mounts that allow the backrest pad to me mounted tight against the trunk. I think the stock mounts are made like they are to isolate any vibes from the trunk but my wife did not notice any more vibes but we both noticed how much more room it created.

Hope this helps...
+1 on this procedure. I did the same thing with my pad.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 03-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #4

What they said above. I used a piece of 3/4" flat bar and cut it about 1 1/2" long. Drilled 2 1/4" holes in each piece about 1" apart for mounts, 3 needed.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

There was a guy that had someone custom make new mounting bracket and moved his truck back 2-3 inchs. I think it cost him over $1000. But it looked good you couldn't tell it wasn't factory. There is also a few that has use strut and made new mounts to move it back. But the trim no longer lines up so look bad.
I would like to see one with what Ace and Bud2rat did. Thats all that has keep me from getting a Voyager, is driver/passenger space.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #6

thanks for the info everyone i took the advice and made some new mounts
02 nomad 1500 sold

https://epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap...FL.NJ.MD.CT.RI

Old 03-07-2017, 01:52 AM   #7

I did the same thing, except I butchered up the old mounts to make the new ones out of them. Tore the rubber out from between the two connecting pieces, then drilled the remaining (flattened out) halves to bolt them directly between pad & trunk.

Rick from Luverne Kawasaki once sent me a few photos of the job they'd done moving a customers trunk back a little, but it was a bigger job than I wanted to tackle myself. It involves buying a whole new set of chrome trunk trim to cut & blend in with the existing set, so it's not cheap. Luverne do some very good work though.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #8

I did it with square tubing. I basically took out the four bolts that hold the trunk on and moved it back 2 inches but it also move the trunk up out of the chrome trim so it looked a little funky. My wife has her own bike now so I returned it to normal. Cost about $15.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #9

Update on moving trunk back. This past weekend I and a friend removed the trunk off the Voyager to see about moving the trunk back a few inches. There is no easy way to do this. Once everything was removed, we made a jig to keep the holes and the side brackets lined up. With the jig in place and tightly secured, we cut the mounting tabs loose from the main support bracket and moved them back 2 1/2 inches. Re-welded the tabs in place and painted the bracket and re- installed the trunk and chrome trim. The results were well worth the time and effort. It took us about 4 hours to do this modification. The only noteable difference is the gap between the back of the seat and the trunk, however, this will be fixed when I have the seat modified by Russell Daylong. I am very happy with the added room. It is now more comfortable when riding 2 up. Sorry, I didn't think to take any pictures as we were doing this. It wasn't as bad as I thought that it would be. So with some careful measurements and a welder anything is possible.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I was thinking of modding an entire new rear bracket but you got me thinking... What about flat steel (3/8) or U channel steel? It is thicker/stronger than square or rectangular and would not lift it up as much. I think I will try that for a quick fix when riding two up. Thanks for idea

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...ddlebags-trunk
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2zAAAO...hP/s-l1600.jpg\

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman2011 View Post
I did it with square tubing. I basically took out the four bolts that hold the trunk on and moved it back 2 inches but it also move the trunk up out of the chrome trim so it looked a little funky. My wife has her own bike now so I returned it to normal. Cost about $15.

Last edited by Lumberjack; 04-20-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Advanced Member

The gap you are referring to is between the end of the passenger seat and trunk correct? If so I don't think any part of the passenger's bottom would come in contact with this area. Also, my passenger back rest has a pouch that sits there and the extra space would come in handy as the seat gets in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
Update on moving trunk back. This past weekend I and a friend removed the trunk off the Voyager to see about moving the trunk back a few inches. There is no easy way to do this. Once everything was removed, we made a jig to keep the holes and the side brackets lined up. With the jig in place and tightly secured, we cut the mounting tabs loose from the main support bracket and moved them back 2 1/2 inches. Re-welded the tabs in place and painted the bracket and re- installed the trunk and chrome trim. The results were well worth the time and effort. It took us about 4 hours to do this modification. The only noteable difference is the gap between the back of the seat and the trunk, however, this will be fixed when I have the seat modified by Russell Daylong. I am very happy with the added room. It is now more comfortable when riding 2 up. Sorry, I didn't think to take any pictures as we were doing this. It wasn't as bad as I thought that it would be. So with some careful measurements and a welder anything is possible.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
How bout a pic of the finished product? Please and thank you
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers