Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #1

2013 Vaquero

I have had my vaquero ('13 Candy Burnt Orange) going on my 3rd season and it was only last year that I started to really enjoy the bike. It is stock except for a corbin seat, baggershield 6.5-9.5 flip windshield and chuckster's handlebar risers.

It is my first bike in 25years and after I bought it I thought this bike is way too big for me (not too powerful) as I am 5'-7". I bought a seat that was supposed to lower me, but all it did was move me back away from the handlebars. more about that later. I also bought some Progressive shocks which did lower the bike about an inch, but once I got used to the bike I reinstalled the original shocks which ,I think, gives a better ride. I installed the handlebar risers to help move the handlebars a little closer to my arms and they have helped but I need to find a way to move the bars another 1 or so back to me.

Here's are the things I want to do

1. find a way to move me closer to the bars or the bars to me. New handlebars would do it, but would I need to have longer control cables?

2. The baggershield is nice but I need something a little higher to get the wind noise out of my ears as I use a half helmet. I am looking at the windvest but don't know if it should be the 8" or 10" for my height?

3. Ivan's reflash. A question: If I get the reflash done and tell Ivan that I am planning on adding pipes and air but don't add the pipes and air can I still use the ECU?

4. Pipes. I hear the cobra's are a little less harsh sounding that the V & H?

5. BAK but I need to read more about this mod and how much louder the bike will sound. I like power but not "loud".

Back to Corbin and for guys thinking of ordering a seat to lower the seat height. I think the manufacturer did me a miss-service as I called them to ask if the seat for the vaquero would lower me to which they said yes if you get the "nose job" to which I did. What they didn't tell me was that it would move me back at least 2 inches away from the handlebars. You would think this would be important info to a short-ass as being short does NOT make your arms longer. (HAHA). They did say I could send it back and they would try and remedy this but at my cost for shipping. I live in Atlantic Canada and the shipping would be expensive. After my experience I didn't trust them to get it right.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by ToddM; 03-09-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

Well since nobody has bothered answering any of your question I'll see if I can help on a couple.
On the flash, just tell Ivan what your planning to do and he'll set it up that way. I put pipes on after the flash and he said that the BAK doesn't help until your over 4 thousand RPM's. If you set it up for both it will be fine to run it without pipes and BAK. All he's does is richen it up a little more. Once you ride it after the flash you may not care about either ( it runs that good)
Pipes... I went with cobras just for that reason but I don't know if there's really much difference.
BAK.... I might go with one my self if the bike would run cooler or it didn't change the MPG but the bike runs so good now and the one on my Nomad is LOUD.
Hope this helps and maybe someone can help you with the rest

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 03-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer View Post
Well since nobody has bothered answering any of your question I'll see if I can help on a couple.
On the flash, just tell Ivan what your planning to do and he'll set it up that way. I put pipes on after the flash and he said that the BAK doesn't help until your over 4 thousand RPM's. If you set it up for both it will be fine to run it without pipes and BAK. All he's does is richen it up a little more. Once you ride it after the flash you may not care about either ( it runs that good)
Pipes... I went with cobras just for that reason but I don't know if there's really much difference.
BAK.... I might go with one my self if the bike would run cooler or it didn't change the MPG but the bike runs so good now and the one on my Nomad is LOUD.
Hope this helps and maybe someone can help you with the rest

Thanks for your response Framer; I probably should have broken my questions down to a few posts as I was hoping for a little discussion on the different items. I may still do that.

So obviously you and many more people are happy with the reflash. If I do anything I will do that first for sure as I am not really happy with the bike's throttle response.

Do you like the Cobras sound? Do you have the triflow or the 4" billet tip. Is there a difference in sound between these two? There isn't really anyone around me that has a bike like mine let alone with aftermarket pipes.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
Thanks for your response Framer; I probably should have broken my questions down to a few posts as I was hoping for a little discussion on the different items. I may still do that.

So obviously you and many more people are happy with the reflash. If I do anything I will do that first for sure as I am not really happy with the bike's throttle response.

Do you like the Cobras sound? Do you have the triflow or the 4" billet tip. Is there a difference in sound between these two? There isn't really anyone around me that has a bike like mine let alone with aftermarket pipes.
It definitely will help with throttle response I had to take Ray's throttle mod off.
I have the Cobra billet tip and I do like the sound.

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 03-11-2017, 04:23 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have had my vaquero ('13 Candy Burnt Orange) going on my 3rd season and it was only last year that I started to really enjoy the bike. It is stock except for a corbin seat, baggershield 6.5-9.5 flip windshield and chuckster's handlebar risers.

It is my first bike in 25years and after I bought it I thought this bike is way too big for me (not too powerful) as I am 5'-7". I bought a seat that was supposed to lower me, but all it did was move me back away from the handlebars. more about that later. I also bought some Progressive shocks which did lower the bike about an inch, but once I got used to the bike I reinstalled the original shocks which ,I think, gives a better ride. I installed the handlebar risers to help move the handlebars a little closer to my arms and they have helped but I need to find a way to move the bars another 1 or so back to me.

1. find a way to move me closer to the bars or the bars to me. New handlebars would do it, but would I need to have longer control cables?

2. The baggershield is nice but I need something a little higher to get the wind noise out of my ears as I use a half helmet. I am looking at the windvest but don't know if it should be the 8" or 10" for my height?

3. Ivan's reflash. A question: If I get the reflash done and tell Ivan that I am planning on adding pipes and air but don't add the pipes and air can I still use the ECU?

5. BAK but I need to read more about this mod and how much louder the bike will sound. I like power but not "loud".

Back to Corbin and for guys thinking of ordering a seat to lower the seat height. I think the manufacturer did me a miss-service as I called them to ask if the seat for the vaquero would lower me to which they said yes if you get the "nose job" to which I did. What they didn't tell me was that it would move me back at least 2 inches away from the handlebars. You would think this would be important info to a short-ass as being short does NOT make your arms longer. (HAHA). They did say I could send it back and they would try and remedy this but at my cost for shipping. I live in Atlantic Canada and the shipping would be expensive. After my experience I didn't trust them to get it right.

I am 5-8 so we are not much different in size. I live about 2 hours from Corbin in California and rode in to have my saddle made. I took a picture of a Goldwing saddle and explained I wanted something like it.

When it was finished but not covered I went for a ride. When I returned I asked for padding or filler behind my butt so as to get me about 2" closer like you are looking for. I know they can get it right. They just need to know what you are looking for.

Do a search on my name. I have posted pictures of my saddle and I am very happy with it. That factory saddle was a piece of junk.

PM me and I could also e-mail you some pictures. Where abouts is Atlantic Canada? My saddle did raise my up a tad. I was thinking about asking them to lower it a small amount to help with the air flow on the top of my helmet.

PM me, the way they made mine might help you.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

I am new to the bagger scene but had the same issue with wind noise ..especially at speed, installed a Klock Werkes Flared windshield, it's design is along the lines of a double bubble windscreen on sportbikes.. and I know those work..LOL.. and the Klock werkes does a good job of moving the wind away from your head.. at least on '15 Vaquero.
Hope this helps.. the rest of your questions.. hell I am waiting to read those answers my self..

Last edited by ZXryder; 03-12-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

Some ideas for your seat. I ran across this, on this site. To reshape and re foam seats. Thank you whom ever posted this.
http://www.meancitycycles.com/index....ory&Itemid=226 .
I can not speak for there work, but am going to send my seat in for a shot at comfort and adjustment. I have a stock seat. I have looked at utube vids on redoing your seats and I am not that kind of guy. Since your seat is not stock Not sure if they can help, but they are a phone call away.
As for a wind shield, Clearview has a measurment on there web page to measure from the top of the tank at the key ring. So you know the height of the shield you are ordering. You can add a curve at the top to help deflect the wind and still look over the shield. The vent is a nice touch to adjust back pressure and add wind on hot days. The shields are very thick also. Leave the Protective Plastic coating on and try it. You can send it back if it doesn't meet your needs.

I hope this helps you.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXryder View Post
I am new to the bagger scene but had the same issue with wind noise ..especially at speed, installed a Klock Werkes Flared windshield, it's design is along the lines of a double bubble windscreen on sportbikes.. and I know those work..LOL.. and the Klock werkes does a good job of moving the wind away from your head.. at least on '15 Vaquero.
Hope this helps.. the rest of your questions.. hell I am waiting to read those answers my self..
Thanks ZXryder; I was looking at the klockwerkes. From what I have read most people who have it are quite happy because it works and the people who don't like it is because of it's "look". I am not crazy with the shape, but I am sure that is why it works so well.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Some ideas for your seat. I ran across this, on this site. To reshape and re foam seats. Thank you whom ever posted this.
http://www.meancitycycles.com/index....ory&Itemid=226 .
I can not speak for there work, but am going to send my seat in for a shot at comfort and adjustment. I have a stock seat. I have looked at utube vids on redoing your seats and I am not that kind of guy. Since your seat is not stock Not sure if they can help, but they are a phone call away.
As for a wind shield, Clearview has a measurment on there web page to measure from the top of the tank at the key ring. So you know the height of the shield you are ordering. You can add a curve at the top to help deflect the wind and still look over the shield. The vent is a nice touch to adjust back pressure and add wind on hot days. The shields are very thick also. Leave the Protective Plastic coating on and try it. You can send it back if it doesn't meet your needs.

I hope this helps you.
That is helpful. Thanks. If I am going to get some rework done on my seat I better get going and at least find out what it would cost to ship. Corbin will do it for free+shipping to Cal, but Meancity is a lot closer.

I think clearview might be the answer, but I do not see on the Clearview site the option to add a recurve.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is helpful. Thanks. If I am going to get some rework done on my seat I better get going and at least find out what it would cost to ship. Corbin will do it for free+shipping to Cal, but Meancity is a lot closer.

I think clearview might be the answer, but I do not see on the Clearview site the option to add a recurve.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the recurve is made into the top part of the wind screen. I have one on me skoot now and it works real good.

Call them and and ask.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #11

I have a small Clearview on my Voyager. Works great. I'm 6 01 and get no buffeting at all. I've always used Lemon Pledge to clean my bike shields.

Last edited by dcolyer; 03-13-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:

Greetings Todd,
In one way or another the others have given you great pointers... (Love this forum!)

1: Yes, probably. If you change bars to get the grips closer to you, you are likely to need to change at least some of the hoses/cables. The front brake line will run out of length first. The throttle cables next, finally the wiring harness. Pivoting the front brake line, or running it through the ("behind") the upper triple will buy you and 1/2 an inch, but it gets taunt fast...
Just be prepared to spend that other money. Pullback, of course, is what you are after.

2: My bride is 5'7" and she has the smoked Cee Bailey 10" no recurve (measures 11"?). She says its perfect, she can see over it, but the wind is deflected above her helmet. I (5'9"+) have the medium smoked recurve ClearView (14") and thinks the same, it's perfect. I can see over it, yet it kicks the wind over my helmet. When I ride hers and sit up straight, I get buffeting. So I slouch when riding hers...

3: Ivan's: do it. Do it first...

4: I had the V&H's loved the sound at idle, but it got a bit too _____ at speed. Have heard the Cobra Tri-Ovals on a Voyager, am thinking they are the way to go. Currently both the Vaq's are running debaffled pipes which is better than stock (IMHO), but am wanting a bit more...

5: With the IVAN's you may not want to do the BAK. I did the BAK (Chucksters) and removed it after a couple of months. With the left airbox and crossover tube removed, there are mechanicals you can hear at speed. Some get used to this, I did not. The extra clatter, clunking, thwacking bothered me. I spent too much time worried if I was missing important tell-tale sounds from the engine due to this clunking/thwacking/banging. For me, it was too much extra noise, for too little gain (done and removed prior to Ivan's.. Dont need it now... :) )

Corbin: Talk to Corbin. Let them know what you want. Use Snake Ranch's description and photos if necessary to convey your needs. They be good peeps.

Last edited by smokier; 03-18-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #13

I finally decided to bite the bullet and have Corbin fix the seat. I called them and they said that I now have to pay for shipping both ways and for any work on the seat as the warrantee has expired! Doesn't seem fair to me especially since I have been talking to them back and forth.

A couple comments from Corbin to me today.

"You should have known that the seat would move you back because the Varquero is a big bike". WTF

"You should have known that the seat would move you back because the measurements are on our website" The measurements given on the Corbin site do not show directly or by any calculation that the seat moves you back from stock.

Anyway. I can't argue that the warrantee has expired, but I will argue that the communication and the information provided by Corbin is not clear as I would definitely not have ordered if I knew that I would be moved back 2" from the handlebars. There $1200 out the window.

Last edited by ToddM; 03-20-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #14

The last thing to say on the Corbin issue:

The Better Business Bureau gives Corbin a rating of 1 out of 5 and state the following :
"Factors that affect the rating for Corbin Pacific Inc. include:
  • 33 complaints filed against business
  • Failure to respond to 12 complaints filed against business.
  • 6 complaints filed against business that were not resolved."
I am not going to waste my time (or others) on the subject any more.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
I finally decided to bite the bullet and have Corbin fix the seat. I called them and they said that I now have to pay for shipping both ways and for any work on the seat as the warrantee has expired! Doesn't seem fair to me especially since I have been talking to them back and forth.

A couple comments from Corbin to me today.

"You should have known that the seat would move you back because the Varquero is a big bike". WTF

"You should have known that the seat would move you back because the measurements are on our website" The measurements given on the Corbin site do not show directly or by any calculation that the seat moves you back from stock.

Anyway. I can't argue that the warrantee has expired, but I will argue that the communication and the information provided by Corbin is not clear as I would definitely not have ordered if I knew that I would be moved back 2" from the handlebars. There $1200 out the window.

How long have you had your Corbin saddle?