Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Thumbs Up Simple Request

I don't usually post a request for the VBA members to do anything.
But today I do, a 12 year old boys Mom, has a Simple Request. I have done this as have many already. I think this is a great thing to be doing and we have members from all over. So I'm asking, will you send a birthday card for this young man? Even if the card arrives late I'm sure it will be a thrill for him to receive it. Include your name, state and country. THANK YOU.

This is an article from the local TV station WCAX, Burlington, Vermont.
__________________________________________________ _________

WILLIAMSTOWN, Vt. - Thanksgiving is a time for us all to reflect about what we are thankful for. This year one family is extra thankful for their son who is celebrating a big birthday with people from all over the world.

Just like most 12 year olds Alex LeFevre loves to watch videos on his iPad. But lately he's been even more eager to go outside.

"He gets excited to get the mail every day," said MaryBeth LeFevre, Alex's Mom.

That's because the family's Williamstown mailbox is filling up with cards for his upcoming birthday. But it's not just a few friends and family members sending them, it's hundreds of people from all over the world. Most of whom have never even met or seen Alex.

"We were trying to think of something we could do to make it special for Alex." said LeFevre.

That's when mom MaryBeth LeFevre put up a special request on Face Book.

"He loves maps, and I thought if I put out a FB message maybe some of my friends will send them cards from where they live in the US and we can chart them on a map and he would think that's really cool," said LeFevre.

She also asked people to put a fun fact about where they were from in the card. That post got shared over one-thousand times and mail started pouring in from places like Alaska, California, Japan, Ireland, Germany, Spain and the list goes on.

"Shocked, we were shocked!" said LeFevre, "The first day he got two and then he started getting more than ten a day."

This day Alex got seventeen but was a little upset there were no gift boxes.

"A-oh darn it no box!," said LeFevre.

He's received everything from a signed rugby ball from a team in Rugby, Canada to shredded money from the Vermont State Treasures office.

"Every single card he gets makes a difference for him," said LeFevre.

When Alex was born he had a massive stroke doctors started CPR on him immediately and it took 40 minutes before he took his first spontaneous breath. He was in the hospital for the first two weeks of his life and was diagnosed with a disease that frequently results in death.

"They did a skin biopsy and it came back positive for mitochondrial disease," said LeFevre, "For Alex's first six years we thought he wouldn't be around for very long."

But a second opinion has given new hope to the family and Alex is now turning 13 on Thanksgiving Day. He even has an attitude like most teenagers.

"Oh bossy? I am bossy because i am the mom and bossing is my job," said LeFevre.

When asked how it feel now that he's turning 13, LeFevre responds, "It's amazing, it's amazing."

Taking pleasure in everyday moments like getting the mail that mean so much more.

"Even though the cards are going to end the project is never going to end because it's going to be in his heart forever," said LeFevre.

Getting ready to blow out the candles on his 13th birthday, wishing for good friends and people to care about him a wish that already has come true.

Anyone who wants to mail Alex a letter can send them to :

Alex LeFevre
16 Howe Street
Williamstown, Vt. 05679

Maybe you could include your VBA membership number.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Loafer; 11-23-2014 at 06:35 AM.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Sure. Why not?
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Thank You Chris, I'm sure it will be much appreciated!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

Sorry I wasn't checking in and missed this. Great job Loafer.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195