Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #1

Repairing a scratch

I have a scratch in one of my bags. No I didn't put it there and yes the person who did is still alive....they apologized. Colorite offers the touch up pens and for 5 more the 2 oz jars. (Need a base and color) Am I better off getting the pens or is my better choice the jars? Does anyone know if the these will keep for longer periods of time? Also I already have a clear coat in an auto touch up pen. Can I use that to finish or am I better off using the clear coat Colorite sells ? Any help is greatly appreciated

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Repairing a scratch

There are videos on YouTube that show how to do it. The videos could be on Colorite's website too. I have a saddlebag that needs to be redone - it has a number of deep scratches mainly on the door. I am working on a trunk for the bike too and I plan to use spray cans myself to paint the saddlebag plus the trunk and rack at the same time.

I don't know if the cans are a better option or not for a single scratch. My guess is that they would be better for a future mishap then the pens.

Last edited by Quarterbore; 11-21-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Advanced Member

My guess is that the pen would get you by till you're ready to tackle a more elaborate fix. I bought Colorite rattle cans to paint my trunk this summer and in spite of being too expensive for what you get I was pleased that they worked exceptionally well (nice spray pattern and no spitting) and the color was dead on. I was able to lay down a nice base coat which I cleared over with some 2-part clear from a bodyshop buddy. I would think if you're just covering a scratch any clear pen would suffice, at least in my case I did not buy Colorite's clear and everything worked out dandy.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
My guess is that the pen would get you by till you're ready to tackle a more elaborate fix. I bought Colorite rattle cans to paint my trunk this summer and in spite of being too expensive for what you get I was pleased that they worked exceptionally well (nice spray pattern and no spitting) and the color was dead on. I was able to lay down a nice base coat which I cleared over with some 2-part clear from a bodyshop buddy. I would think if you're just covering a scratch any clear pen would suffice, at least in my case I did not buy Colorite's clear and everything worked out dandy.

Id thats a nice bike man. I really think the Vulcans are one of the best looking bikes every made and yours can easily be the poster child. I did find out the pens are good for 7 years. No mention on the 2oz jars, but your right why overkill. The pen should last me quite awhile. Thanks on the clear coat too. That saved me some cash. I got a brew saved for ya.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #5

id-man...If I ever decide to buy a new bike..I'm just gonna leave the one I have with you for a winter...and the cash difference, a new one would cost !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Advanced Member

FUnny! Thanks for that Sam but the pictures really do look better than in person. The bike's got about 43k on it now and all I see is the flaws. Although I must say I fully agree with OldSchool that it is a handsome piece - the 1500s in particular I think they just had the right proportions of all the parts. I got a little unexpected late season ride yesterday (Thank you God) and both my lady and I said as we emerged from our lunch spot what a damn fine looking bike it was. It's nice when you like what you've got. (lady included!)

Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #7

That is a nice looking ride id-man in spite of the white walls. Not normally a fan of them but I gotta admit they do look good on your bike. That wasn't too bad yesterday for Nov 23. Snuck in a ride myself here in the great white north

Lovin my 2010 Nomad
Rob Woodall
Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers
088 Picton
VBA # 02445

Old 11-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #8

.... Looking Good..Happy Holliday's..