Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #1

crazy Ivan, Chuckster BAK, VH...running rich?

I've put about 600 miles on since my mod..Quite a bit of carbon in the mufflers, and smell just a hint of fuel during warm-up. Beginning to wonder if I need a taller filter element in my BAK....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=mcarmack29420;660194]I've put about 600 miles on since my mod..Quite a bit of carbon in the mufflers, and smell just a hint of fuel during warm-up. Beginning to wonder if I need a taller filter element in

My bike is running perfect with Chucksters BAK amd Ivans flash. I also have V&H slip ons. In fact I had to add fuel at the top end using my PCV.. my gas mileage went down a few mpg, but thats my fault. I cant keep from goosing the throttle to feel the torque.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Last edited by Ken Vega; 05-16-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarmack29420 View Post
I've put about 600 miles on since my mod..Quite a bit of carbon in the mufflers, and smell just a hint of fuel during warm-up. Beginning to wonder if I need a taller filter element in my BAK....
Cleaned your throttle body recently?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #4

Hey mcarmack, I have the same setup except running stock air cleaner and it definetely runs rich. I haven't talked to ivan yet to see if it can be flashed alittle leaner. I really notice it when I come down an off ramp after running 70-80 for a couple miles. When I pull in the garage after work and shut it down it will smell it up for a couple minutes afterwards. Some of the problem (if you can call it that) is the bike runs so much better that I find myself running it ALOT harder than I used to. I'm on my third tank of gas so I'm still checking the overall mileage on each tank, but as of now its only getting 33mile per gallon doing the math, not by the dash which was always way off. But Like I said that's more my fault, now I need to train myself to take it easy on the right grip,lol.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertk View Post
Hey mcarmack, I have the same setup except running stock air cleaner and it definetely runs rich. I haven't talked to ivan yet to see if it can be flashed alittle leaner. I really notice it when I come down an off ramp after running 70-80 for a couple miles. When I pull in the garage after work and shut it down it will smell it up for a couple minutes afterwards. Some of the problem (if you can call it that) is the bike runs so much better that I find myself running it ALOT harder than I used to. I'm on my third tank of gas so I'm still checking the overall mileage on each tank, but as of now its only getting 33mile per gallon doing the math, not by the dash which was always way off. But Like I said that's more my fault, now I need to train myself to take it easy on the right grip,lol.
I don't think you are running overly rich. When you pull in the garage and shut down, the gas tank begins to vent pressure. Which is thst whistling you hear from the gas cap. My bike is on the money fuel wise since I bought it and my wife can always tell I snuck in an afternoon ride when she grts home from work and smells the fuel in the garage... lol

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Cleaned your throttle body recently?
Only have 3500 miles on the bike..When I installed the BAK, the throttle body was pristine. I hate to think that it would suddenly trash up after 600 miles. The filter element that came with the kit doesn't look like it has any more area than the stock ones combined. Hopefully I can find one that is a 1/2" taller, and use longer allen screws.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I don't think you are running overly rich. When you pull in the garage and shut down, the gas tank begins to vent pressure. Which is thst whistling you hear from the gas cap. My bike is on the money fuel wise since I bought it and my wife can always tell I snuck in an afternoon ride when she grts home from work and smells the fuel in the garage... lol
I smell it while warming up from cold start. No garage at my house. Pipes are dry, but there is much more carbon than there was before the mods. Afraid I'm going to start fouling plugs.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Advanced Member

It is natural for a little carbon build-up at the end of the pipe/s when the bike starts cold as it runs rich until warmed up. On cold starts I let mine warm up to where the idle settles down then take off.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #9

Quote:
I smell it while warming up from cold start. No garage at my house. Pipes are dry, but there is much more carbon than there was before the mods. Afraid I'm going to start fouling plugs.
Carbon in the pipes is normal. If there wasn't any you'd probably be too lean, like before it was flashed. I'd be more concerned if there was no carbon.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #10

Hey Ken its not a fuel vapor smell it is a combustion smell . I forgot to mention that I cant warm it up in the garage either. I have heard the cap vent but only in hot weather, the last week its only been in the 40's in the morning, alittle better for the pm ride home. I will call the Man himself just haven't had time. I just want people to understand that the bike runs perfect, but in my case the mileage took a hit, that's all.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #11

If I warmed my bike up in my garage, I would die from carbon monoxide poisoning lol. You're searching for a problem that's not there.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertk View Post
Hey Ken its not a fuel vapor smell it is a combustion smell . I forgot to mention that I cant warm it up in the garage either. I have heard the cap vent but only in hot weather, the last week its only been in the 40's in the morning, alittle better for the pm ride home. I will call the Man himself just haven't had time. I just want people to understand that the bike runs perfect, but in my case the mileage took a hit, that's all.
Your mileage can take a hit depending on your driving style. Most of us have had to adjust after the flash. Ivan added fuel and timing down low to get rid of the decel popping that was going on and to correct the overall driveability. Well worth any hit in mileage. My bike only gets 30-33mpg from day 1, so if you're doing better than that i consider that a plus. IMO

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 05-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
think back before unleaded fuel when a good running engine would have a nice light to medium grey color at the exhaust pipes that was normal
when unleaded fuel was introduced suddenly it all turned black even with a very lean engine and plugs turned scarey white with black soot at the base

this is the norm now black sooty pipes --- after ivans I looked at one plug just to see and was surprised to see a clean white porcelain tip with dark shadow on one side --- that looks about as normal as it gets on a bike that don't have closed loop fuel system I M O -- the plugs only have 2500 miles
even without cats the color wont change much but if really rich there will just be more of it --- with ivans were burning more efficient --- I smell a richer mix just not the sulpher stink now without the cats -- better power - better mileage - better combustion -- enjoy n don't worry cause u cant make these things run as slick as a well designed car

Old 05-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Well my turn to praise Yvan.... my nomad turned into a bomb,,, wow really like all the changed he did,,, get up to 70 mph very quickly.. .more torque in all gear with smoothness.. I am very very impressed ... I highly recommend his work... trust me you WILL not be disappointed

I am now YVANIZE...
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Old 05-24-2016, 10:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanrider03 View Post
Well my turn to praise Yvan.... my nomad turned into a bomb,,, wow really like all the changed he did,,, get up to 70 mph very quickly.. .more torque in all gear with smoothness.. I am very very impressed ... I highly recommend his work... trust me you WILL not be disappointed

I am now YVANIZE...
I found it gets up to 100 mph very quickly!