Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada West Group

Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Alberta Insurance Rates

Howdy Everyone, A call out to you Alberta guys and gals, who are you currently insured with and what are your rates like? My insurance is coming due in March and I thought I would check out rates and policies with a few different companies.

Thanks for your input.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #2

Alberta Insurance Rates

I'm with JEVCO - $674
Mill liability
Collision, Fire Theft, Tip over
$500 deductable any/all occurances
No accidents or claims, perfect record.

Best I was able to find

Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Alberta Insurance Rates

Have you considered C.D.I..... That's Canadian Direct Ins. {Alberta Co. I think}That's where I buy everything except the compulsory basic from I.C.B.C. {provincial insurance.} don't recall what my cost is but after my "incident" in the fall, they were great to deal with. They never balked at anything. Everything the dealer listed as damaged was replaced with out any comments.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Alberta Insurance Rates

Thanks for the input so far. I'm with Jevco currently and have not received my new policy but I have heard from others that there premiums have gone up. I currently pay $597 which provides me with $1,000,000 liability, collision, tip-over, fire, theft and family endorsement for 1 year. I tried the home for chrome web site and received a quote for $505 but am not clear on the entire coverage. I will investigate further once I receive my renewal request. Cheers ;)

Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #5

Alberta Insurance Rates

I wonder if bike insurance is cheaper in Edmonton then Calgary? Seems like we have the same coverage but I'm paying more. :'(

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Alberta Insurance Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbelly #01341
I wonder if bike insurance is cheaper in Edmonton then Calgary? Seems like we have the same coverage but I'm paying more. :'(
Maybe, but I see your bike is 6 years newer than mine. My insurnace carries a waiver that states that they will not cover more than the purchase price which is included in the waiver. A friend of mine (not with Jevco) pays $100 more than me but he has full repacement value for 5 years.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #7

Alberta Insurance Rates

I'm with AMA/Jevco as well and my rates are almost identical to Leadbelly's. I insured it with them when living in Edmonton and there was no change to my rates when I moved to Calgary a year and half ago.

I had my previous bike ('04 Suzuki Volusia) with Grey Power and when I wanted to add the Nomad they wanted some crazy amount to insure it, think that it was well over $1200. I checked with AMA and they came up with a much lower rate through Jevco.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Alberta Insurance Rates

Brian and I pay $128 each a year. We do not carry collision and I've always wondered why an experienced rider would need to. We are never worried about our driving skills, the only thing collision covers, but worry about the idiot cagers hitting us.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Alberta Insurance Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat
Brian and I pay $128 each a year. We do not carry collision and I've always wondered why an experienced rider would need to. We are never worried about our driving skills, the only thing collision covers, but worry about the idiot cagers hitting us.
I don't think I'm a bad rider ....I think I have some skills.
But can I make mistakes? Absolutely !! And I have. I had a deer hit me Should I have sped up, slowed down, swerved, put the jammers on? Who knows? I'd have to do it over and over again to find out what would have been the best thing to do. But does that mean I didn't know how to ride? Or that I'm a bad rider? ??? I don't think I agree with your logic C.C.. Do you not carry any insurance at all? By that I mean life insurance, mortg. insurance, I mean I don't plan on crashing, or dying but things aren't always within your control. Crap happens. You hope to never have to use the insurance but...... So anyone that carries collision insurance isn't a very skilled rider in your books? Or did I misunderstand something. I would have been out a ton of $$$ from both accidents I've had. Probably would have had to walk away from my Venture and the Nomad had I no insurance. Both times it involved animals. I guess what I'm waiting to hear is that because you have what I assume to be great riding skills the accidents I had,... would never have happened to you? I'm that less of a skilled rider than you or Brian? I hope you never do have a mishap or make a mistake believe me. I just think sometimes "chit" happens. If I went barking up the wrong tree here forgive me. I made a mistake. I'm not above that,....here or on the road.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Alberta Insurance Rates

It always amazes me how someone can take a simple statement, twist it and get offended. I did not say anyone else is a bad rider or has less skill than us.

I don't know about BC insurance but accidents involving animals, even hitting the ditch to avoid one, are covered under comprehensive on our insurance. We have PL, PD, comprehensive and carry 2 million coverage on our Nomads and pay a very low rate because all of our insurance, and we have lots of insurance, is with same company. It also helps that Brian has had a specific motorcycle license for 40 years and I have had mine for 30, never had a claim of any kind and have a perfect driving record.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Alberta Insurance Rates

I think we all see insurance in different ways and some times, perhaps we don't all clearly understand our coverage. I tend to over-insure, I have collision on all of my vehicles, (which are all paid in full) including an older 1998 Taurus (which will probably be replaced this year). What I like about collision is that no mater whose fault caused an accident my insurance will cover my damages and given the facts around the accident fight the good fight against the person that may have caused the accident. Perhaps a person buys their bike new and finances in which case they must obtain collision, in this case they often receive a 5 year replacement value with that option. The other big option with collision on a bike is accident avoidance. No one on a bike want to be involved in a collision with a cage turning left in front of his path, perhaps the best alternative is an avoidance maneuver that take you off the road into a ditch causing damage to your bike. The cage continues on their way leaving you behind to deal with the costs of repairs. Rather than depending soley on my experience and common sense I believe it all comes down to risk management and unfortunately we live in a litigious society and throw in those persons that will deny responsibility (lie) for their actions and you have created a perfect situation for insurance companies to flourish...........By the way, I received my invoice in the mail yesterday and this year my rate went up by $31.00, so rates are creeping up again. :(" title="" border="0"/>

Old 02-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #12

Alberta Insurance Rates

I'd have to agree with Rick, carry insurance on everything. House, vehical, Music gear, camera gear etc. etc.

And C.C. that is an incredable rate for all that coverage... are you saying that the only time you are not covered for collision is if you are hit by, or hit another vehical?
and cracking up into a ditch or an animal, and you are covered for collision?

Old 02-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Alberta Insurance Rates

I think I need to explain my earlier statement better and hopefully I will not offend anyone. I never said that anyone was a worse or less skilled rider than Brian and I; I never said we do not carry insurance. What I said was we do not carry COLLISION on the Nomads. We have a whack of insurance - the Duramax, the Jeep, the Nissan, the 65 Ford, 2 quads, 2 Nomads, the house and it's contents, the antique piano, the garage and it's contents and the toy hauler. We only carry collision on the Duramax, the Jeep and the quads because the Jeep is only 2 years old, the Duramax is irreplaceable because it is the old body style and it would be extremely hard to replace, if at all, if we wrecked it and the quads because sh*t happens and quads are very easy to have an accident on and wreck. We are not required to carry collision on any of our vehicles because we do not owe any money for any of them but choose to carry it on the vehicles we deem necessary.

Not to carry insurance on our possessions would be pure stupidity and we do have insurance. Something else for us to consider is the fact that we have 2 Nomads. We pay double for them for everything - double gas, double insurance, double bling, double whatever. When we got the Nomads we were with Primmum and about 9 years ago collision took a big hike on motorcycles because of the number of accidents that were occurring at that time. Collision was around $300 per Nomad before that time and jumped to over $600 per Nomad. Now times that by 2 and you have a crap load of money going to an insurance company for 'just in case'. We switched insurance companies a couple of years ago when I turned 50, at the insistence of our agent, you put all of our insurance with the same company, one of the few non-motorcycle insurance companies that will take motorcycles and got us a very good rate because of the amount of things we insure and because of our clean driving records.

As an example, in the last 5 years, if we had collision on both Nomads we would have spent over $6000 for insurance. You can do a lot of fixing for that money, if you can do it yourself and can get the parts really cheap from the States like we do. As I stated before, we have comprehensive and as long as we do nothing idiotic like hit a wall or hit the ditch for no reason other than losing control, we have more than enough insurance. Since Brian and I always ride together, we always have a witness so if, for example a deer, runs out in front of me and I take the ditch, my butt is covered under our comprehensive because I have a witness to say I was avoiding a deer.

I hope that clears up any misconceptions about us not carrying insurance and hopefully I did not offend anyone.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #14

Alberta Insurance Rates

I use Jevco, is 644. All in. Looks like 2011 rates are unchanged for my account.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #15

Alberta Insurance Rates

Next time you get sad about your rates think about the folks forced to use the Government monopoly insurance in Manitoba. In 2011 I will pay $1542 for an 01 Nomad with $500 deductible.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)