Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada West Group

Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #1

Awesome Opening Ceremonies

Vancouver put on a very interesting and impressive opening show. You all must be proud. So sorry to hear of the Luge fatality during practice. So sad.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Yes, they did an awesome job, cept for the slight glitch at the end with the torch lighting. But I enjoyed it all except maybe for that opera bit. (Just can't get into that! )

Very sad about the death of the Luge athlete. :-[

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 02-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

I guess I'm one of those people who don't have a lot of good to say about the Olympics.
I did catch a little of the opening ceremonies on the TV when I reached work tonight. But that will be the extent of my Olympic viewing. For those of you that don't know,....there was a vote held by our Provincial Liberal gov't, to see if the people of the province wanted them here,... well before,.... it was decided we were to get them. The only people who were allowed to vote were the people who lived in Vancouver proper. The rest of the province wasn't given a say or a vote. We get to pay for the cost of the games though. Isn't that fair !! :(" title="" border="0"/> That was what really turned me against the games being here. :(" title="" border="0"/> :(" title="" border="0"/> :(" title="" border="0"/>
The other things that really gripes my a$$ is that the Gov't here can't afford money for our hospitals, ... our schools are being cut to the bone with school closures in almost every Dist., teachers let go, our Hwy's/roads conditions are going to hell, there are people homeless, kids starving, Very little job creation,....the list goes on and on. Yes there is a lot of money coming into the province from around the world. But it's the rich who are getting richer. For example.... VANOC {the Vancouver Olympic Committee} booked all the rooms in most of the respectable hotels at the going rate of maybe $200 - $400 per night. Then allowed the hotels to sublet them to the visitors, tourists, for thousands of dollars per night. But the hotels only receive the $200 - $400. that VANOC booked them for. Can you spell "scalping"? ?
The cost of the games is going to be appalling, plus the cost of security. My granddaughters are going to have to pay for these games for their entire life. They don't even know or will venture a guess as to the final numbers.
So there is my little rant on our Olympic Games.
Go Canada GO !!! ::)

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Ok Rick. Don't sugarcoat it. Tell us how you really feel!

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Top Contributor

I have to agree with Rick....the games are for the most part an over-bloated self-serving spectacle. It should just be about the competition, but watching a short bit of that theatre last evening, it's all but...

The cost will be awry of anything we would deem fair or just, but regardless, some great improvements to the general infra-structure will benefit Canadians long after the last Olympic balloon is popped. Heck, even a short piece of I-5 here in Everett got a major overhaul the last few years getting ready for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. But yeah....the coin dropped on this thing could well be spent elsewhere, and the althletes would still find a place to compete...even if in an empty parking lot. Just my 2 cents....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #6

Calgary is still enjoying the benifits of the infastructure created 22 years ago, personally I don't like to see more and more and more money thrown at our Hospitals and health care system, people are living longer then ever, it's just not natural. Christ now everyone needs a friggin' MRI for a Fu*^k$ng hang nail, at what cost? and the Doctors are now ording every goddam test going because they are scared sh*tless of being sued and who pays for that....
People expect way too much from our health system. I bet they would not be going to see the Doc for every little thing if they were paying a portion of the costs.
The kids & teachers got more professional days and vacations off it seams then on, so who cares if the schools are shut down they are never in them anymore anyway, just an expensive daycare system in my opinion.
And the homeless well there are some that have definatly fallen on hard times and should be helped out; but there are, by far, many others that got that way all on their own thru drugs and alcohol abuse and many of them don't seem to want to help themselves.
People have to learn to help themselves before expecting hand outs.
And if you want to talk about a waist of money; I seen that Canada has given 1/5 of ALL the money raised by all other countries for relief in Haiti, we'll never benifit from any of those funds.
I'm not a big fan of the Olympic's and it will cost too much, but hopefully it will generate interest in tourisum for the Province and Country for many years, plus Vancouver will always have the infastructure.
that's my 2 bits....

Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbelly #01341
Calgary is still enjoying the benifits of the infastructure created 22 years ago, personally I don't like to see more and more and more money thrown at our Hospitals and health care system, people are living longer then ever, it's just not natural. Christ now everyone needs a friggin' MRI for a Fu*^k$ng hang nail, at what cost? and the Doctors are now ording every goddam test going because they are scared sh*tless of being sued and who pays for that....
People expect way too much from our health system. I bet they would not be going to see the Doc for every little thing if they were paying a portion of the costs.
The kids & teachers got more professional days and vacations off it seams then on, so who cares if the schools are shut down they are never in them anymore anyway, just an expensive daycare system in my opinion.
And the homeless well there are some that have definatly fallen on hard times and should be helped out; but there are, by far, many others that got that way all on their own thru drugs and alcohol abuse and many of them don't seem to want to help themselves.
People have to learn to help themselves before expecting hand outs.
And if you want to talk about a waist of money; I seen that Canada has given 1/5 of ALL the money raised by all other countries for relief in Haiti, we'll never benifit from any of those funds.
I'm not a big fan of the Olympic's and it will cost too much, but hopefully it will generate interest in tourisum for the Province and Country for many years, plus Vancouver will always have the infastructure.
that's my 2 bits....
Well 22 yrs. ago was a lot different era for one thing. 22 yrs. ago the global economic situation wasn't what it is today. The country was already pulling out of a small recession {in comparison to what's going on today.} The comparison to the times and our two provinces here isn't even close.
I can't speak to Alberta's medical and if the Dr.'s are "scared sh*tless" of getting sued. Or if some of Alberta's people are abusing your provincial health.
I can speak to the fact that they are closing wings of some of OUR hospitals and at the same time canceling elective surgeries so the gov't can accept "paying customers" from Manitoba. The fact that the gov't won't/don't hire more nurses and instead force them by playing the guilt card to do double and triple shifts back to back. Sorry I don't see the fairness in that tactic.
I think I do pay a portion of the medical costs through my tax's.
I do agree that some people do use the teachers and the schools as day care for their children. My wife works in a school as admin. and sees how hard the teachers work, along with the money they spend out of their own pockets so the kids can do some of the things they do. Not to mention the time some put in after school for extra curricular activities. Ya those lazy teachers...I find it confusing when as I type this Alberta is enjoying yet another holiday. Family Day? The province of BC is extending our schooldays and moving to keep the schools open longer into the year. Things must be a lot different in Alberta if it's as bad as you say.

You're right when you say that some of the homeless choose to be there, and some have made some terrible choices in the way they have run their lives. Street drugs have hurt a lot of people and I know first hand that not everyone wants to be on them and unproductive to society. I know that I have lost three colleagues from drugs they didn't want to be on.
I am not a fan of welfare, but having said that I have to be honest, I am glad it was there the one time I needed it for my family.

And the fact that Canada has given what they have to Haiti sits just fine with me. Why should we expect something back from a country that has just suffered one of their worst natural disasters ever?
Geeze ! I hope we on the west coast don't suffer from such an earthquake, I'm not sure we have anything the people in Alberta might need back from us, if we asked for help. The people in Haiti are just that,...people like you and I. And there by the grace of God go you and I.

I'm not saying I am against the Olympics all together,....what I am saying is that given the times we are in and with the amt. of cut backs going on here in my province. I don't think we should be putting the amt. of money into something like this. I don't know the amt. other than it's in the millions that was spent on the Sea to Sky Hwy up to Whistler Mt.. Only to have the lane use cut down to single lane traffic along most of the corridor, because of security. But the IOC said the road had to be improved. Yes some of the work needed to be done, but not in time for the Olympics. I'll stop this rant now and move on.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 02-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #8

We could both debate Govermental spending 'til we're blue in face, so let's save our breath.

Much this 2010 Olympic planning was done many years ago. Before the recession.
Can't stop an event of this nature and magnitude do to an un-forseen recession.

It'll all work out, BC will end up with some new infastructure and world-wide exposure to it's natural beauty and oppertunities.

Keeping to the thread it was an awsome opening!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Wow, interesting opinions on the day to day affairs in Canada. I have never been ther but, it looks like a beautiful place. My mom took a train tour from Vancouver heading east and she spoke about it for years. She loved it.
One day I would like to go too.

The issues with the schools & medical are tough and it is not an easy choice. There has to be a way through it for the betterment of the country.

I will continue to watch the games and look at the great scenery during the breaks.
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbelly #01341
We could both debate Govermental spending 'til we're blue in face, so let's save our breath.

Much this 2010 Olympic planning was done many years ago. Before the recession.
Can't stop an event of this nature and magnitude do to an un-forseen recession.

It'll all work out, BC will end up with some new infastructure and world-wide exposure to it's natural beauty and oppertunities.

Keeping to the thread it was an awsome opening!
I agree "leadbelly" we could go on forever about the issue of how the Gov't spends our money. We obviously don't see things through the same coloured glasses. And I'm OK with that. And I'd like to be clear that what I saw of the opening ceremonies was somewhat enjoyable. I don't think I ever said they were terrible, I started by saying, I didn't think it was fair that although the entire province of BC has to pay for the games, that only some of the people got to vote on the issue of having them. If I could have had my vote/say in it, myself and most of the nay say'ers would have accepted the entire event more easily. I still wouldn't have agreed on the amt. of money that was being spent but if the masses wanted it, then I'd be {almost} good with it.
Sure we'll get some road improvements, ...a few buildings, the high end or business owners of the local economy will benefit some what. And yes, "it'll all work out" some year down the road.

Having lived here in BC most of my 55+ years, I can say that British Columbia has always been a world class city by comparison and a sought out tourist destination by the world. So if a few more people around the world realize this, that can't be bad thing.

So to stick with my original issue on this thread, ...democracy,...I'm glad this board is democratic enough to give the two of us our say on the obviously different opinions we both have about some things. But !!!I'm sure we can agree on one thing.... aren't these Kawasaki Nomads GREAT bikes??? ;)

Thanks ! and seriously Go Canada Go !!!
rickyboy

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 02-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #11

Canada is in my bucket list for places to visit. What happens if you travel with a handgun when you reach the border? Do you leave it with them and pick it up upon your return to the border? Many years ago, my Mom and Dad crossed in their motor home. When my Dad was asked if he had any weapons, he told them no. He did have a handgun. He was very fortunate that they didn't do a random search. That would have ruined his day.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
Top Contributor

Uh,....I would think you would have to surrender the firearm. I presume you have a licence to carry the weapon.
I think I would stop at the American border first to get some advice from "your people". They may suggest leaving it with them instead. It may be more straight fwd.. Not something I come across much or have been asked before. let me know. I'd be interested to know the answer to that.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Canada is in my bucket list for places to visit. What happens if you travel with a handgun when you reach the border? Do you leave it with them and pick it up upon your return to the border? Many years ago, my Mom and Dad crossed in their motor home. When my Dad was asked if he had any weapons, he told them no. He did have a handgun. He was very fortunate that they didn't do a random search. That would have ruined his day.
Found this site:

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy...nto_canada.asp

Basically you may be able to get a Authorization To Transport for a restricted weapon (specifically a handgun with a barrel length over 4") but not for self protection purposes. The laws for transporting handguns in a vehicle in Canada include it has to be in a locked case as well I believe. They recommend using a storage facility near the entry point, but that also likely means leaving Canada through the same entry point unless they can ship it to a storage facility where you will be re-entering the US.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 02-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #14

Thanks for the website Cory. Before leaving I will have all of these specifics taken care of. Yes Ricky, I do have a permit for Louisiana that reciprocates in all but 7 states. I plan to ride up to Canada in 2012.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #15

I know you won't be allowed to bring it in to Canada, Im not sure if you can leave it at the border, but in my opinion I would leave it at home if your coming here. It all depends on the customs people you will deal with, most are pretty good, but some are on a power trip and if you give them any reason to stop and search your vehicle they will pull it apart and when theyre done you have to put it all back together. This happened to my wife before we met. They can make your life miserable if they want to.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951