Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #1

power commander and v&h

ok guys.. my dealer is at it again. after my faulty pipes i recieved from ebay, i was forced to go to my local kaw dealer. now I have a power commander ordered. I have chucksters plate on order, however, he didn't even want to sell me the pipes unless I got the power commander.. said it would pop like crazy and i wouldn't like em. (I'm totally stock now) and ultimately would want a refund which he wouldn't do.. Now, guys.. do they really pop that bad? I ended ordering from a different dealer 40 miles out just so I could get them by friday.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #2

power commander and v&h

Can't speak of the V&H pipes, but I put the cobra pipes on mine without the Power Commander, was in the same boat as you, waiting for it to come in. It hardly popped at all, in fact it does about the same now, it was fine without.

My dealer did the same thing...they want to sell the power commander too at their inflated prices (in my case anyway).

I have seen some threads where they say you really do not even need the Pwr Commander until you do the exhaust and intake, but I have nothing to back that up, just what another forum discussion covered.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #3

power commander and v&h

There was a thread not too long back on the VTX board that discussed why the power commanders needed to be changed about every 3 to 4 years.

Several guys had blown engines because the PC would open a fuel injector and wash the cylinder walls and burn the rings.
The general feeling was that PC's burned out and stopped working after so many hours of operation.

Just something to research.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #4

power commander and v&h

Quote:
Originally Posted by faxxxy
There was a thread not too long back on the VTX board that discussed why the power commanders needed to be changed about every 3 to 4 years.

Several guys had blown engines because the PC would open a fuel injector and wash the cylinder walls and burn the rings.
The general feeling was that PC's burned out and stopped working after so many hours of operation.

Just something to research.
Interesting, I will have to take a look. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years I think now and never had a hint of a problem. Could have been something related to the maps they were running, where it was mounted on the VTX (got too hot), or even a bad batch of VTX Power Commanders. First I have ever heard of any concerns, but worth looking into.

The reality is that any processor can generate problems, my diesel truck processor completely flaked out at one point truck would not even fire, really the nature of electronic components.

Added:
I did find some talk of modifying the rev limiter and DynoJet makes the owner sign a waiver before they will do it, maybe some people were playing with things they knew nothing about.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
power commander and v&h

I Installed the V&H on mine last summer with a Cobra Fuel Processor. I did have popping, so I modified my air intake using the caddmann version, (Cheaper) and it fixed the problem and gave me more horsepower.

Hope this helps a little.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #6

power commander and v&h

We have the V & H on our bikes and you just have to install the marble in the reed valve hose and there will not be any poping unless you have an air leak on the pipes. It can't backfire/pop if it doesn't have o2 in the exhaust pipes.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Advanced Member

power commander and v&h

If you end up using the new chucksters plate, you will need some sort of fuel processor no matter what the brand. With pipes only usually a marble fixes your problem but not always. Nomads are strange beasts that are all different and act different. I have no worse ping with my Dooleys than I did without, but because of the middle range, jump on it ping, I've added a FI2000, don't think reducing fuel is really important in my situation.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #8

power commander and v&h

I don't think you have to be a mamber to view the forum..

Here goes..

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219234

Old 03-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #9

power commander and v&h

that's what I was thinking watchman. Had to do that on my 750 vulcan when i put the v & h on as well. yes caddmann, I have my power commander on order and will await chucksters plate to put it in. hopefully within the next few weeks i'll be done and rollin. just put the pipes on now so I can still go out after work for a bit!! thanks guys

Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #10

power commander and v&h

Quote:
Originally Posted by faxxxy
I don't think you have to be a mamber to view the forum..

Here goes..

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219234
Read through a lot of that thread, and it seems there is basically one guy that had a bad PC. PC admitted that it was bad, but that is the risk IMO when you add these things (any brand). A lot of it was the board people arguing about the guy asking for money it seems.

I think the best quote from the thread is:
"If your engine starts running badly. STOP and DISCONNECT THE PC3.
Learn how to disconnect it now incase you need to on the side of the road. If it's not the problem you can always reconnect it later.
Better to do that than keep going and risk engine damage."

Good advice I think, especially when you read the symptoms he had. Problem really seems to be is when he started having issues, kept running the bike until it would not run anymore.

Still good information and worth a read I think. Thanks faxxxy, I was trying to find it when you mentioned it and had no luck.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389