Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #1

Power Commander

Hey BD ever since I had the PC III installed it has a strong gas smell when idling. it runs fine and idles good but has the strong smell do you think they have it set to rich or is it just going to be that way
I took it back to the dealer but they say its normal

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Power Commander

Wow, I posted an answer and it's gone! Without knowing your bike or the setup, the dealer should have provided you with a printout of the air fuel mixture at all speeds. Idle should be about slightly less that 15 to 1 air to fuel. I'm always amazed that the PCIII is set up without being on a dyno and usually done with a generic setting. I'm guessing that you are on the rich side by what your telling me about the fumes that you can smell.

I don't have a processor on mine and I can sometimes smell fuel when I first start up but not after it's warm.

Ask the dealer for the mixture across the board and if he doesn't have it then you got a "generic" setting from him and is probably not even close.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Power Commander

The company that makes the Power Commander is from high in the mountains of Colorado. The air is thin there. Your bike needs to be run on a dyno to fine tune it. If you don't do the dyno you're not getting the full benefit from the Power Commander.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #4

Power Commander

I am waiting to get my exhaust before I have it put on the dyno.To tell you the truth I haven't rode it that much since I got the concours

Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #5

Power Commander

Quote:
I am waiting to get my exhaust before I have it put on the dyno.To tell you the truth I haven't rode it that much since I got the concours
Basco, how do you like the Concourse? I sat on one a couple of months ago, that, and the Versys too, and I didn't like either one of them. The Concourse is a nice looking bike, but I didn't like the way it felt at all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Power Commander

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're joking or I'm going to lose A LOT of faith in you!

DS

Quote:
The company that makes the Power Commander is from high in the mountains of Colorado. The air is thin there. Your bike needs to be run on a dyno to fine tune it. If you don't do the dyno you're not getting the full benefit from the Power Commander.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #7

Power Commander

Quote:
To tell you the truth I haven't rode it that much since I got the concours
I mentioned buying one (and ofcourse keeping my Nomad) to my wife because I believe I would like the occasional change in ride that the concours offers. BUT...I already have two motorcycles in the garage and I think (actually know) that if I bought the Concours I'd be single. I think the Concours would be a great way of getting that "need for speed fix" instead of installing the power commander on my Nomad.

For those of you who do not know what the 2008 Kawasaki Concours is...

Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Power Commander

Before I bought my Nomad I actually took a long look at the Concours. Then I realized that two things would probably happen if I bought the Concours:

1. Everybody would think I was an old fart (64) pretending to be a young fart (under 30).

2. I would kill myself within 6 months by pretending to myself that I was still a young fart. :-[ :-[

So, I bought the Nomad. Everybody still knows that I'm an old fart but I don't care. I love it!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #9

Power Commander

That is CLASSIC Bob. I love it.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Power Commander

Quote:
You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're joking or I'm going to lose A LOT of faith in you!

DS

[quote:cfxzipfw]The company that makes the Power Commander is from high in the mountains of Colorado. The air is thin there. Your bike needs to be run on a dyno to fine tune it. If you don't do the dyno you're not getting the full benefit from the Power Commander.
[/quote:cfxzipfw]

I'm sorry, but I'm serious Daryl.