Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #1

Tsk, tsk sound from rear wheel?

I am new to belt drives so I am not sure if this is a regular sound or not. I know my belt is too tight and will be correcting that once I get the tension tool, but I am not sure if this is a factor of that or not. I can hear a slight tsk, tsk sound coming from the rear wheel, kind of like when you rub two pieces of paper together. I only hear at speeds lower than 50 and lower rpms, probably because the wind noise but I hear it on both sides. I hope you all understand what I am meaning here. Thanks!

Also I remember reading somewhere on here, but of course I can't find it now but is the belt supposed to be in a certain place on the rear gear? By that I mean is it supposed to be centered, to the left or to the right on the gear? Thanks again!

2012 Nomad 1700
VBA #02021
VROC #34848

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Centered is where it it supposed to be if the wheel alignment is correct. Is there something stuck in the belt making the noise ?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey405 View Post
I am new to belt drives so I am not sure if this is a regular sound or not. I know my belt is too tight and will be correcting that once I get the tension tool, but I am not sure if this is a factor of that or not. I can hear a slight tsk, tsk sound coming from the rear wheel, kind of like when you rub two pieces of paper together. I only hear at speeds lower than 50 and lower rpms, probably because the wind noise but I hear it on both sides. I hope you all understand what I am meaning here. Thanks!

Also I remember reading somewhere on here, but of course I can't find it now but is the belt supposed to be in a certain place on the rear gear? By that I mean is it supposed to be centered, to the left or to the right on the gear? Thanks again!
Tension tool? Isn't there a small guide on the side of the belt guard? It's not rocket science to loosen a belt. Just give it a bit more slack and see if the sound goes away. Most of the time the sound caused by an over tightened belt is described as a chirp.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

The last time I was at my dealer I looked at the belts on the bikes.
I looked because the belt on Cindy's bike touches the left side of the pulley.
Every bike I looked at had the belt touching the left side of the pulley.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #5

You may have a stone or something caught in there and its rubbing on the edge of the belt. Others here have had stones get into the belt.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
Tension tool? Isn't there a small guide on the side of the belt guard? It's not rocket science to loosen a belt. Just give it a bit more slack and see if the sound goes away. Most of the time the sound caused by an over tightened belt is described as a chirp.
Yeah I have the chirp too, that was why I was asking if this noise can be attributed to the same thing?

2012 Nomad 1700
VBA #02021
VROC #34848

Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #7

The front sprocket only has a edge on the left side, the motor is set where the belt runs on the left side of the front sprocket. The belt will run toward the left side of the rear sprocket, but you should have a small gap between the belt and the left side of the rear sprocket. But make sure your rear wheel is running straight and that your belt isn't too tight.

I have had a lot of small rocks and ahpsalt stuck in my belt and rear sprocket, they make it sound really bad sometimes. The fresh chip seal roads are a real killer here.

The best stuff I found to stop squeaks is DuPont™ Teflon™ Multi-Use Lubricant, its a dry wax lube, awesome stuff. It lasts for about 1,500 miles or so then I need to use it again. I have tried the dry silicon sprays but they don't help much.

I jack up my bike and take off the left saddle bag, then drop the left side muffler (two bolts), then I can take off the belt guard (two screws). I use a brush to clean the belt first, just doing that takes a lot of the squeaks out. Then I check the belt and sprockets to make sure there is no asphalt or rocks in there.

Then I just spray a section of the belt and rear sprocket, let it dry and spray again, then move the belt a little bit and do again till all the belt is done. It will run quiet for a long time after doing this.
James

Kawasaki 2010 Nomad 1700
Southern Oregon

Vance & Hines slash cut slip-ons
Cobra Powerpro CVT
Thunder Air Kit, stock cover
Kuryakyn Power Point 12v adaptor
Cobra Luggage Rack
Grasshopper back rest
Tomtom GPS

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #8

tck tck could be a nail or stone in the rear tire.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Centered is where it it supposed to be if the wheel alignment is correct.
NOT necessarily so. Almost none will be centered and stay centered.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 04-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
NOT necessarily so. Almost none will be centered and stay centered.
Just my personal opinion but I will not buy a bike with belt drive or tube tires.
Air cooled may be OK but would prefer liquid cooled.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 04-09-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Just my personal opinion but I will not buy a bike with belt drive or tube tires.
Air cooled may be OK but would prefer liquid cooled.
LOL... I'll agree with that. My last bike was a shaft drive. The belt drive is smoother shifting and getting off and on the throttle, but the belt is a royal pain keeping stuff out of the belt going through summer road construction. The tubeless tires are a no brainer, makes it easy to fix a flat and get back home.

Kawasaki 2010 Nomad 1700
Southern Oregon

Vance & Hines slash cut slip-ons
Cobra Powerpro CVT
Thunder Air Kit, stock cover
Kuryakyn Power Point 12v adaptor
Cobra Luggage Rack
Grasshopper back rest
Tomtom GPS

Old 04-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by replay13 View Post
LOL... I'll agree with that. My last bike was a shaft drive. The belt drive is smoother shifting and getting off and on the throttle, but the belt is a royal pain keeping stuff out of the belt going through summer road construction. The tubeless tires are a no brainer, makes it easy to fix a flat and get back home.
I agree and I will add I won't buy a bike with spoke wheels.
The new Yamaha Super Tenere comes with tubless tires and spoked wheels why they did that no one knows; the wheels are tubless with a flange on the inside center and spokes. Stupid design IMHO.

VBA #01084

"

Old 04-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #13

I didn't mention spoke wheels because I thought all spoke wheels were tube type tires.
Learn something everyday.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #14

You might check your rear brakes also. You may have something between the pads and rotor rubbing.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post