Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #1

Rear directional wiring route

My rear right directional doesn't light up. Bulb checks out.
I've checked that the wires in light housing don't show 12v across them when signal flashes on. I believe the wires in the connector under the seat (can anyone confirm the correct wires) read 12v, so I can only assume that the wire from the seat to the housing has gone bad.

The harness appears to travel under fender with no obvious connector within easy access of the rear light. Any tips on access or should I plan to just run a new wire bypassing the fender?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2016, 01:42 AM   #2

If you're talking about a 1500 then yes, it runs under the fender. In the first picture you see where they come through the fender from the top side through holes with grommets. The ones to the right of the picture (rear of the bike) are the signal lights - notice how they split off into two runs. The one to the left of the picture is the rear brake light - it joins the left harness. The second picture shows how they continue along forward, held by the folded metal tabs. Then the two groups go topside again as shown in the third picture.

I would try to run them in these same routes. If you run them over the fender it won't look good, and if you run them under it somehow without the tabs they will be exposed to a lot more wear and maybe rub the tire.

The wires come out of the turn signal housings themselves. They terminate on the connectors in there, and are one continuous wire until the end that sticks out topside near the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (95.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (93.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (94.4 KB, 14 views)

Old 08-25-2016, 02:58 AM   #3

If you notice some of us when we're talking suspension, and we say YOU DO NOT WANT TO BOTTOM OUT YOUR SUSPENSION!....those wires are why. Put too short a shock on the rear....yep, looks great....but those wires are in danger....
Just my 2 pecos....
I hate redoing those....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 08-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleam View Post
I would try to run them in these same routes. If you run them over the fender it won't look good, and if you run them under it somehow without the tabs they will be exposed to a lot more wear and maybe rub the tire.
I've tested with a spare wire running from the black/yellow wire at the seat connector to the bulb attachment. It seems this wire has gone bad... but based on your photos, it could also simply be the length of wire from the bullet connector on the lamp assembly to the bulb mount. To test that looks like I'll need to manage to pull the wire connectors out from the fender (out the grommet) and test that far end...

Really hoping to avoid having to pull the fender.. and then there figuring out how to do that... and this is a 2008 1600..

Old 08-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

You shouldn't need to pull the fender. That's like cutting off your hand to bandage a finger. Jack the bike up and let the rear wheel hang, you should be able to get to the backside of the fender.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #6

Isn't the black/yellow wire ground on the 1600s?
Like Scott said you can access the wires from underneath.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-28-2016, 02:25 AM   #7

Thanks all... Turned out the end of the black/yellow had pulled back so no ground at the bulb socket. Splicing on a extension solved without further disassembly.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #8

Glad it was something simple, and an easy fix.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381