Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
I have Chucksters dual plate and I am very happy with it. Here is a posted link to photos provided by another satisfied customer. http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19503
Thanks Hammer for the link. That was very helpful in seeing the steps. I think I might be able to do this mod myself.

Barry
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
2008 Vulcan 900 LT (sold)
Trinity, Al.
Roll Tide

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #17

This is what I did. Had plans to relocate the ignition switch in the chrome cover. But, we had the ignition switch go bad at Barber. So the stars realigned and the new one now resides in the side/tool cover and I love the look of the chrome cover.

I did my Chucksters at 41,000 miles. Typical one with a couple notches left and the other was bottomed. This was our first service together and was glad I checked. There wasn't any noise but I now have peace of mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nomad.jpg (99.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Nomad 1.jpg (93.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by pjandbee; 08-15-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbait53 View Post
Does anyone have a video of an install of an BAK or other air kit on there Nomad? I have searched YouTube and can not find anything. I would like to see how it is done and what you put on the left side when the dog bowl comes off.
Hi Barry, I just received my Barons big air kit for my Nomad 1500. I liked the Chuckster models because they cost less money, and the Chuckster dual-plate model can use the original Kawasaki "dog bowl" cover which is probably quieter than the exposed air filter design. However, I chose the Baron kit because I really liked the chrome badge-shaped " V twin 90 c.i." air cleaner cover. http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...ba-2070-11.htm

I hope the intake noise is not too loud for me with the Barons kit.

There are quite a variety of covers that can come with the Barons kit including a "V twin 95 c.i." for the 1600: https://www.baronscustom.com/catalog...425/index.html

I have not started installing my big air kit yet, but I will look for an installation video and let you know if I find one.

Jon

Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #19

I Love Chucksters Air Kit! I was first tempted to install the Hypercharger, picked one up for $100 from a friend. Ordered the adapter from Thunder to install it. I then ran Chucksters for about 3 to 4 months....great hi-perf. system, all though I absolutely HATE the K&N on the cover.
I decided to put on the Hypercharger, to see performance wise, how it performed. After about 4 months, Chucksters intake is Twice as good! Performance loss with the hypercharger. The quivering butterflys don't do anything for me, plus its a pain if you need to clean your throttlebody, (gotta take the adapter cover off). I also added the scoop in place of the trap door....slight improvement....not much. So, its coming off the next couple of weeks and will sell it.
I believe with the added airflow needed for my bigbore 1600 motor (1600 motor with the 1600 bigbore thunder kit in it), that its choked down some. I tried tuning it out with the tuner to no avail.
Chucksters was a definite performance increase, all the way arround, so I will redo the top cover to make that K&N Emblem go away....

Oh, the Harley Horn cover is cool! Did that to a 1600 for a friend. I mounted it on a hinge, and hide his ignition switch under it....with the cover down, you can't tell....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 08-24-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #20

I may do something else with the left side dog bowl. I now have a Micro jump start pack that actually works so I can lose the jumper cables stored there. I jump started a neighbors Civic this morning 1st time. I loved the look on his face when I brought over the pack. It's not much bigger than a cell phone.

I would also like something more custom for the dual plate Chucksters right side instead of the dog bowl.

I could do my own design build cover but suggestions or sources for options would be appreciated.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2016, 03:23 AM   #21

Well Hammer, the skys the limit here....
On my Chucksters air cleaner kit, since I have purple LEDS, no, they don't flash....its more of a safety item, to draw peoples attention....so they can see me, I chose to customize my air cleaner, too!
I have 3 super bright blue liscense plate bolt LEDS inside the air cleaner....everyone says its what really catches their attention when people meet me headon down the interstate at night. Yes, you can see them well thru the filter element. I have them positioned at 3, 6, 9 o'clock, holes drilled thru backing plate, with a small gasket between the head of the bolt and the plate....
Anyway, with whatever kit you have, you have the attachment section. Any of the custom covers, all you have to do is pop a hole in the cover and bolt it on....or weld, tape, screw, jbweld, epoxy, etc.
As long as it has ridges and some stiffness to it, your ok. If its uneven where it fits across the top of the filter, you can mount a subplate to it with a hole in it for the screw. Or just use the good 3M doublesided trim tape, on the stock filter cover. theres many ways to do this.
I have a friend who had a really nice tattoo sketch he always loved, had a machine shop cut it out of polished stainless, put a thick piece of plexiglass behind it. The border overhangs the air cleaners top by a few inches, he painted the stock cover black. Put some side-lit leds onto the sides of the plexiglass sheet....the cut piece is back lit now, illuminated at night....Looks cool! You can't pull that plate off without destroying the whole air cleaner setup....its on there!
I've seen the hyperchargers lit from the inside....to show off the quivering butterflys....

This might give you a few ideas....
https://www.google.com/search?q=buil...w=1241&bih=598
All it takes is some imagination, some metal you like, the good 3M doublesided tape or a mig to tack it together....
The only thing is make sure your filter is seated good and sealed. Don't want grit getting into that motor! I use a big tapered aircleaner that I adapted to the Chucksters unit, so I have a backup when my main one gets dirty....changes the looks some....I hate being like everyone else, so I customize things....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 08-25-2016 at 03:53 AM.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #22

Thanks, I have looked at a lot of that stuff and I can adapt some of it. Chucksters dual plate is an odd size in diameter so it's in between a lot of options. I can adapt to that and it will likely be a winter project.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 08-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #23

Shoot us some pics after your done! I was thinking myself of doing a sportster cover myself, slash cutting the front, and doing a ram air box. I've got this large chrome grim reaper piece to affix to it right between the bolts....its the perfect size to fill in. I can't use it on the smaller air cleaners.
I picked this thing up years ago at a swap meet....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI