Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to emo
Major decision to Make (Nomad Silencers)

I understand that my 2007 Nomad is fuel injected and I have been thinking about removing the silencers (as it is posted on the FAQ forum). My question is to anyone that has done this already. How much power is lost by doing this procedure. I love my Nomad and wouldn't trade it for the world but at the same time I would love to hear it growl. If anyone has removed the silencers, as shown in the FAQ forum, please give me your input.

Thanks EMO
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #2

You'll loose a little bit down low. You won't notice it much, BUT...

If you do the silencers (bafflectomy ) AND an air kit, you will get the growl and any tiny amount of torque you loose below 2000 RPM, you will pick up three times that between 2000 and 4000 RPM. Just doing the baffles alone will make you smile, but if you do both, you're gonna be flossing bugs outta your teeth on a regular basis. Don't expect another 100 horsepower, however. You'll pick up around another 10% or about 6 horsepower depending on exactly what you do.

But that 6 horsepower will be exactly where you like it. Like right there when you crack the throttle from a moderate cruise speed to pass on the boulevard or from 55 on the highway.

Since it's hot in Phoenix, you'll probably end up also doing a TPS adjustment and maybe adding a resistor to the temp sender, and maybe colder plugs, and perhaps an auxilliary fuel processor to make it all really come together. None of this costs a lot or is too difficult with a bit of help. Actually cutting out the baffles is by far the most difficult part.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

I did it to mine. Can't tell a difference in power but I'm not wild about the sound so I'm going to weld the baffles back in soon as I get time. Mine is a 2000 1500 carbureted. Maybe it sounds different from the 1600.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #4

Some discussion on this a while back over in the Garage
http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...4295162&page=1

BTW, Welcome to the site, lots of good things here, won't mention the others.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #5

Well, the sound will be lots better, but not great.

The thing is, you can buy a set of V&H baggers (a complete exhaust system) for the cost of just one stock muffler from Kawasaki. They sound great, and make the bike 20 lbs lighter. You can repack/modify the baffles to tailor the sound, and they just slide out with a couple screws instead of all that cutting and drilling.

This is what I did, and just stuffed the stock system in the rafters in case I ever need to put it back on "unmodified" to get the bike registered or something. (So far, not.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Top Contributor

zoom, I have heard the 1600 after baff------ and its real quiet, each to their own though.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #7

here's the origional thread http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...3796507&page=1

Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #8

I liked certain parts of the sound like when you coast or just let off but the cruising sound on the highway just doesn't do it for me. I like a Harley sound with good pipes (did I say that) but it's just not the same. I guess you get what you pay for ($500 pipes or a free baffelectomy). At least it can be put back to original sound for free (if you have a welder).
Zoom

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #9

emo, welcome from eastern Nebraska. Lots of good folks here, and lots of info.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #10

Quote:
I liked certain parts of the sound like when you coast or just let off but the cruising sound on the highway just doesn't do it for me. I like a Harley sound with good pipes (did I say that) but it's just not the same. I guess you get what you pay for ($500 pipes or a free baffelectomy). At least it can be put back to original sound for free (if you have a welder).
Zoom
You don't need a welder to put them back in. I put mine back in with 3 small screws. Two on the bottom and one on top. I repainted BBQ black and it looks fine. I can still take them out if I want to. I'll post a picture when I can.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Welcome to the group from Chandler, AZ!

One caveat, since AZ is the only state in the US that emission tests motorcycles, it might be prudent to keep your stock exhaust in unmodified condition. Just in case there's ever an issue with the emissions testing procedure. This is what I plan to do, buy aftermarket pipes and keep the old ones around "just in case". If for some reason you are forced to put the exhaust back to stock, you wouldn't want to have to buy it from Kawasaki. Just my thoughts...
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to ianicky

Hi emo,

I have recently removed the baffles from my exhaust and i think it sounds 100% better than stock, and me personally have not noticed any drop in performance.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:15 AM   #13

I have not noticed any drop in performance and love the sound.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 04-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #14

I am cheap and lazy and did the baffle punch. You basically knock holes into the baffle using a sharpened piece of rebar. I then bought a set of Valkyrie exhaust tips off E-Bay for $ 35 bucks and installed them.

It gave it a mellow low tone that I can live with. Living in a resort, I had to be very careful with how much extra sound I got out of the bike. The last thing I needed was to get booted out of here for excessive noise and these old people will scream bloody murder over loud bikes.

One thing to remember, punching the baffles is a " no return " procedure. Otherwise, you do not like the sound, to bad and to late to go back. :)

Chris

Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #15
Advanced Member

V & H front pipes - FLH touring mufflers on rear 2005 earlier - 1999 I think. Has the Harley ( gag) sound you like - not loud !