Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Top gear roll ons for comparison of power between two bikes are meaningless unless both bikes have exactly the same gear ratio in top gear. My brother keeps wanting to do a roll on comparison with his Mean Streak and I tell him sure as long as I stay in 5th. I think even then he has an advantage in gear ratio, because these 1700s are over driven in both 5th and 6th. Not sure about the Meany though.
The Vulcan 1500 and 1600 were overdrive in 4th and 5th, the Meanie may have had different gearing. All this means is the trans output shaft is turning faster than the input, but you need to consider the primary drive ratio and the final drive as well, to get the total gear reduction between the crankshaft and the rear wheel.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
The Vulcan 1500 and 1600 were overdrive in 4th and 5th, the Meanie may have had different gearing. All this means is the trans output shaft is turning faster than the input, but you need to consider the primary drive ratio and the final drive as well, to get the total gear reduction between the crankshaft and the rear wheel.
Just read an old review of the Meanie which stated it was geared lower than the standard 1500 Vulcans. I've ridden my brother's and 5th might be over driven but I don't think 4th is. He has an open air kit and full after market exhaust along with a re-flashed ECU by a local tuner so it does scoot much stronger than a stock Meanie.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #3

From a 50 mph roll on, a Stock Ultra or Street Glide (2016 or older model) should not be able to keep up with a Voyager or Vaquero. At least they can't with mine. They are strong at lower speeds though.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT44 View Post
From a 50 mph roll on, a Stock Ultra or Street Glide (2016 or older model) should not be able to keep up with a Voyager or Vaquero. At least they can't with mine. They are strong at lower speeds though.
I guess the keyword is Stock because i am 100% sure that No voyager will keep up(ivanized or not) with the same ultra or sg that you are talking about with tuner,air filter and pipes.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

Miles in your signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
I just converted the number of kilometers in your signature to miles. You have a Voyager with over 363,000 miles on it? Seriously?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just converted the number of kilometers in your signature to miles. You have a Voyager with over 363,000 miles on it? Seriously?
Yes.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:47 AM   #7

Quote:
If you look closely at Garry's sig pic, you can see where he's mounted a tablet center on the bars so he can reply to posts while he's riding. He doesn't spend enough time off the bike to keep up with the forums otherwise.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
Advanced Member

after the second flash has anyone experienced pinging, theirs a video out on youtube where a guy re-installs his power commander for optimal performance after the flash, quote- has some minor pinging. Is he being anal or is their an issue still rearing its ugly head.

I'm hesitant on doing the second flash, will their be a 3rd? hmmmm!

Last edited by skullbagger; 06-13-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Can you post the link? I can't find it.
I had pinging issues with the first version and haven't tried installing version 2 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
after the second flash has anyone experienced pinging, theirs a video out on youtube where a guy re-installs his power commander for optimal performance after the flash, quote- has some minor pinging. Is he being anal or is their an issue still rearing its ugly head.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
Advanced Member

here ya go-

Old 06-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Advanced Member

I watched the video above, I don't think he mentioned pinging, just popping from the exhaust.
After I installed the update flash I had no pinging no how with Shell 91 fuel, with Shell 89 it did ping when I used cruise resume on a hot day. Back to 91 fuel and no ping at all.
I haven't tried any other brand of fuel yet, the Shell station is just around the corner and I get bonus points so it's just habit to fill there. Shell does say on their website that their 91 octane is alcohol-free, 89 contains ethanol. (in Canada)

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Last edited by gv550; 06-13-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post

Why hesitate? The re-flash is free. All you pay is shipping. BTW, this is actually the third formula for the re-flash. After the initial offering some people were experiencing pinging with open air kits at wide open throttle. He made adjustments and re-flashed for those people. I was one of them and the adjustments he made worked. I've since done the 'third' re-flash and it further improves how the bike runs.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
Advanced Member

To clarify for others: 2 flashes (normal and BAK) and 2 versions

Quote:
Why hesitate? The re-flash is free. All you pay is shipping. BTW, this is actually the third formula for the re-flash. After the initial offering some people were experiencing pinging with open air kits at wide open throttle. He made adjustments and re-flashed for those people. I was one of them and the adjustments he made worked. I've since done the 'third' re-flash and it further improves how the bike runs.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
To clarify for others: 2 flashes (normal and BAK) and 2 versions
I knew what you meant.
thanks for response