Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Top Contributor

Officially converted my GPS opinion

I was always of the opinion "why the hell do you need a GPS when you have maps" and if I would search back I could probably find that all over some of our discussions 2+ years ago. I thought guys that that owned GPS units were kinda like guys that would stop and ask for directions....or, guys that ironed their shirts before meeting up for a motorcycle rally
hint:

BUT, as several of you know I had a friend allow me to borrow his Zumo for the almost cross country trip to Custer for the national rally. Ever since I got back and have been taking trips without the GPS something has been missing. I have ridden about all the main roads that you can really see on a map within probably 200-300 miles of here and like to just take a road and see where it goes with out pulling over to figure a route back (usually on one of those main roads again). Also HATE IT when you are getting low on fuel and dont know where the nearest station is.

So, I have been watching Ebay for a couple months and finally won a Zumo at a good price and it arrived Thursday...even got the car mount to use it in the cars (I keep the motorcycle icon for the vehicle on there all the time though ). I updated the maps to 2010 after getting the serial number changed out of the previous owners name through Garmin (nice feature by the way...if it is stolen and someone calls into Garmin to update maps or software they will not do it until verifying that the previous owner sold it...took 5 minutes on the phone with them.....the guy told me that they get calls all the time from people that purchased used units from pawn shops that were stolen....anyway, the lesson is to buy from reputable people even off of ebay)

I am sure I will learn to use it better than I knew on the trip to Custer as Mike, Amy, Ron, and Tammy might tell you (they called her lying Gretta I think...when it was probably stupid Todd that didn't really know how to read the miles/time to destination)

I considered a car unit like many of you have but the convenience of water and shock resistance, the screen that is seen easily in the bright sun, along with the GREAT mp3 player quality sold me on the Zumo.

So I am officially a convert and will now take more of those blind routes in the middle of nowhere with out the worry of reading a map somewhere down the road, finding fuel, or finding food (which is sometimes more often that fuel for me :-/ :-/ :-/ ).

Hello, My name is Todd, and I own a GPS.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #2

Hello Todd, welcome to the GPS Anonymous.
The only trouble with Garmin is there Map Source program for routing sucks. You would think they could have made it compatible with Microsoft Streets and Trips. That is a much, much better routing program.
Oh, don't always believe the nearest gas thing. Sometimes stations go out of business and Garmin hasn't picked up on it yet.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Now your wife can't tell you to "get lost!!" huh?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Top Contributor

yeah, learned that on the trip out to Custer too TC.....found that you had better head toward the area that has several stations around...for some reason the BPs were not up to date on the 2008 map that was on the one I borrowed.

I have not had a chance to use mapsource yet.....I just planned the long trip out west on the gps itself with help from goodle maps.......so I will have to play with that and figure out how to do it.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 10-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Now your wife can't tell you to "get lost!!" huh?

That won't stop her......or your girl either when you get back too early

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #6

It's alright Todd. We don't question your masculinity. ;)
I've had my Zumo for quite a while and I also keep the motorcycle icon up all the time. I travel so much that it's been a real lifesaver in countless cities. Every now and then, she'll lie to me, but not often. Except for New Jersey. She was totally confused by New Jersey! :-/

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 10-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #7

Todd, you can do what I do to keep your dignity.

I throw the GPS in the saddle bag just for emergency. A little over a year ago I moved to a new state and didn't know ANY roads. I've done a lot of exploring, but you're not lost as long as you still have gas. The GPS is for those times you aren't so lucky. ;)
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd (Nomadis Custodis)
Hello, My name is Todd, and I own a GPS.
I'm with you on this one.... ;) . I used to turn my nose up at GPSs but I finally got the Nuvi 550 a couple of weeks ago and really like it. It was substantially cheaper than the Zumo's and is waterproof. The main thing I wanted out of the GPS was to be able to lay out my own routes and download them to the GPS and then have them available on the road. The Nuvi does all that relatively easily. I also really like the speedo and trip meter screen. I use it now instead of the Nomad's.

BTW, I travel Route 66 a lot with a small group and I always get elected to lead. Usually we get lost once or twice since I have the CRS syndrome. The Nuvi actually came with a MadMaps version of Rte 66 which is not that great but I found these maps online:

http://www.historic66.com/gps/garmin/

These are excellent maps and have every alternate alignment as the route changed over the years. Anyone who wants to ride all or part of Rte 66 won't do wrong to use these. Whoever put these together did a fantastic job. A few years ago, I spent weeks doing the same thing mapping the entire route on google maps, printing each screen in 5 mile intervals and putting together a book for each state. ...Kinda hard to carry eight 3" binders on your bike... . Much easier now.

Anyway, I found mapsource to be relatively good to put together your own maps once you figure out its quirks and it's easy to get them into the Nuvi.

Pete

Old 10-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #9

quote;
Anyway, I found mapsource to be relatively good to put together your own maps once you figure out its quirks and it's easy to get them into the Nuvi.
Pete

Well I wish you lived closer to me Pete. I could use a few lessons on the Map Source. It is nowhere near as easy as Street and Trips for planning trips.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #10

Todd, Is a 450 or a 550?

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:

I updated the maps to 2010 after getting the serial number changed out of the previous owners name through Garmin
Did you have to pay Garmin for the map update?
Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 10-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #12

I bought my first GPS as a "toy",just something to have just in case I needed it.I found myself using it more and more so I bought a second one.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #13

GPS is the only way to go. Here in DFW it's almost a necessity, but it's also great for getting lost with. Put that sucker in overhead-view mode, then go wander for the day: Find a squiggly line, take it and ride till you find another one, take that one, ride till you find another, etc. etc. I've gone through many miles that way, and you'll be surprised what you'll find - great food, great roads, great people. When it's time to go home, hit the button and you have the fastest, most direct route right back to your garage door.

No other way to fly, my friend. :)

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 10-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Todd, Is a 450 or a 550?
Its a 450.....I'm frugal...or as my friends call me "cheap bastard".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercianbike
Quote:

I updated the maps to 2010 after getting the serial number changed out of the previous owners name through Garmin
Did you have to pay Garmin for the map update?
Yes I did...I bought this unit used (slightly from the looks) and it had 08 maps.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 10-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #15

Welcome to the world-undiscovered until the GPS Todd!

Now that you have a GPS... the next thing you'll need is a Gazetteer of your state.

You'll want to add it to your travel-planning arsenal. It will show you every single road in your state in detail. Once you begin to use it... you'll be traveling on roads you never knew existed before... I promise.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...?section=10096

You typically can pick your state's Gazetteer up at any WalMart.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417