Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-06-2017, 03:44 AM   #1

Operating front and back hydralic brakes together

Hi, I've seen a post/link/thread relating to this but can't find it now.
Is there a way you can operate both front and rear brakes together with only using one lever/foot pedal?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #2

Yes, it's called "linked" brakes. Some bikes come with that as an OEM feature.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #3

thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #4

anyone have a link for how to achieve a linked brake setup?

Old 11-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #5

This is actually quite simple to achieve yourself if thats what you wanted. If I had a trike under me, I would consider it....But for 2 wheels, naaaa....
I've been riding all my life and there are certain instances where I've learned that use of a front brake will get you into severe trouble.
Three things when approaching intersections will get you severly hurt with front brakes.....
1. A oiled up intersection. Especially when wet!
2. Onramps, Offramps, Intersections with small to medium amount of sand present.
3. Pea-gravel....Onramps, Offramps and Intersections....
Last year, Visiting Wa., coming over the mountains....there was alot of black ice due to lack of travel because of snow....got really tricky coming down the mountains down in Oregon.
If used very, very lightly, the twin brakes are fine, or setup with a good proportioner valve.
Using the front brakes have saved my bacon on many occassions where cars pile up in front.
But that was straight line, dry, traffic up in your face typa scenario. The kinda you never ever want to repeat....

Had a good friend down in TX. hitting a offramp right outside of Dallas/Ft. Worth where some sand was present. Upon clamping down on the brakes of his Street Glide, he went for a very rough tumble. Just Sayin' front brake usage for the ones with little experience can get you into serious trouble....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #6

Yeah, I'm aware of other issues with front brakes. I haven't been riding all my life but have enough experience to know about the dangers associated with front brake usage and road conditions.

My next question would have been related to a proportional setup.

The main reason why I ask is that I have plans to build and install a suicide shift/clutch. And yes, I am aware of the dangers associated with this also. And yes, other than the dangers, it may still be a stupid idea, but it wouldn't be the most stupid thing I've done thus far in my life. ..having the 2 proportionally linked would cover all bases and one less thing to think about, at least initially. If I was leaving my bike stock I would not be linking brakes.

The second reason is I have recently crushed my right hand. This has made me use front brake very very sparingly, if at all. The main of my experience is with sports bikes and since getting my 99 nomad, I am totally loving the rear break pedal in terms of my riding style. However, there has been 1 or 2 occasions where I've come into corners too hot and really needed some front brake assistance to pull the bike up before turning. My only action has been to change down gears further to help pull bike up, which has resulted in locking the rear up due to shaft drive, not ideal. (but reason 1 is the main reason)

So my question still stands, is there a link anywhere to the process of how to achieve it?

Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #7

I'm not sure, but I think linked motorcycle brakes are usually also ABS. I can't imagine it being at all safe to link them otherwise.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #8

...yeah, was reading after i posted. if linked brakes fail, you're only left with BOT (boot on tarmac) braking. not cool.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Gold wings have had it for years.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 11-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllm02199 View Post
Gold wings have had it for years.
You are right. I had forgotten that (it's on all GW 1800s ABS or not), but it is a very special linkage. If I remember correctly, when you activate the rear brake, only half of the pistons in the front brakes are activated. The front brake can activate all of the pistons in the rear brakes, though. Better to lock the rear than the front is the reasoning, I guess. You can't lock up the front wheel using the rear brake, so it is safer than a 100% rear to front linkage even without ABS.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:55 AM   #11
Advanced Member

I had a 92 1500. It had integrated brakes. The hand break operated the right front and the foot break operated the rear and left front.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 11-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllm02199 View Post
I had a 92 1500. It had integrated brakes. The hand break operated the right front and the foot break operated the rear and left front.
OK. But again, it was not 100% linked to the front when using the rear pedal, correct?

My point is it would take a lot of modifications to make a non-linked bike link the front and rear in a safe manner. I suppose it could be done, but making the front brake control activate both front calipers 100% and linked to the rear and also making the rear activate the front only 50% would be a very difficult task. Making the brakes 100% linked front and back seems awfully dangerous to me.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #13

There are proportion valves available that are 60/40 or 75-25 etc.. The problem would be figuring out exactly what you needed to stop effectively and still be safe doing it. I always thought it was just something else to go bad.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:48 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
OK. But again, it was not 100% linked to the front when using the rear pedal, correct?

My point is it would take a lot of modifications to make a non-linked bike link the front and rear in a safe manner. I suppose it could be done, but making the front brake control activate both front calipers 100% and linked to the rear and also making the rear activate the front only 50% would be a very difficult task. Making the brakes 100% linked front and back seems awfully dangerous to me.
You’re right. There’s a lot more to it. You have to change the master cylinders on both front and rear to match the volume of fluid pressure required to operate the brake cylinders. Change lines. Balance is critical.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio