Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #1

Torque Cones

Has anyone used torque cones in their head pipes? I'm wondering how much or if they help at all?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Torque Cones

Never heard of them. What do they do exactly? Do they have a built in torque so you can't over tighten them?

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

Torque Cones

I don't think there too popular on our bikes, for some reason. I think we have enough torque unless you remove the baffles , then it suffers a lot, other than that I doubt they make a difference.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #4

Torque Cones

Jay (jestephens) has a set and told me that they do make a sizeable difference in low end torque with the open pipes. I was thinking about adding a set but haven't been able to find them for the Nomad. They are very common and easy to find for HD bikes. I'm sure Jay could point us in the right direction. I just never asked where he picked his up.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #5

Torque Cones

When I made and installed the first ever set of "Ultimate Baffles", I noticed 2 things right off. "Boy do these things sound good" and on my first ride, I noticed loss of some low end torque. I made 3 sets of the Ultimate Baffles (DKDixie coined the name). I gave DK a set, and another friend a set. DK figured out that the loss of "back pressure is the reason for torque loss, and he experimented with putting different "screens" on them, and came up with one that works for him. The screen does tone down the baffles some, and I didn't want that, so I looked at other options. On HD's, when they install straight pipes, they got the sound they wanted, but lost torque due to the loss of back pressure, so they installed torque cones (aka ANTI REVERSION cones) to compensate for the loss of back pressure. There is a history behind the cones, and if your willing to research them, you'll find they offer other benefits besides making up for lost back pressure.
Back to the cones,,,,,,,,,, I decided to go with the cones (you can find them from $14 on ebay, to $90 for Samson type). I got a set off ebay for $14 delivered to the house, and made of stainless steel. I think THESE are them or very similar to them. They DO make a big difference in the low end performance, and do not change the sound. Most aftermarket head pipes for the Nomad have a 1 3/4" head pipe, and so do the HDs. The friend that got the 3rd set of baffles, I also installed the same cones I use, and so far, all of us are "happy campers"
If you do decide that you want to try the cones, get the ones that are machined, and not stamped. They are easy to install, but require removing the exhaust to install them, so you may need new exhaust head gaskets. You take the head pipe loose from the head, drop one in, and it gets "sandwiched between the head pipe and the head. I use the HD header gaskets, and you can re-use them two or three times, so I just loosened the muffler mounts, then removed the header nuts, and the pipe moved back far enough for me to slip the cone in, then torqued everything back up, and wal'la, everything was good again.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Torque Cones

Great report, Thanks...
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Torque Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE
When I made and installed the first ever set of "Ultimate Baffles", I noticed 2 things right off. "Boy do these things sound good" and on my first ride, I noticed loss of some low end torque. I made 3 sets of the Ultimate Baffles (DKDixie coined the name). I gave DK a set, and another friend a set. DK figured out that the loss of "back pressure is the reason for torque loss, and he experimented with putting different "screens" on them, and came up with one that works for him. The screen does tone down the baffles some, and I didn't want that, so I looked at other options. On HD's, when they install straight pipes, they got the sound they wanted, but lost torque due to the loss of back pressure, so they installed torque cones (aka ANTI REVERSION cones) to compensate for the loss of back pressure. There is a history behind the cones, and if your willing to research them, you'll find they offer other benefits besides making up for lost back pressure.
Back to the cones,,,,,,,,,, I decided to go with the cones (you can find them from $14 on ebay, to $90 for Samson type). I got a set off ebay for $14 delivered to the house, and made of stainless steel. I think THESE are them or very similar to them. They DO make a big difference in the low end performance, and do not change the sound. Most aftermarket head pipes for the Nomad have a 1 3/4" head pipe, and so do the HDs. The friend that got the 3rd set of baffles, I also installed the same cones I use, and so far, all of us are "happy campers"
If you do decide that you want to try the cones, get the ones that are machined, and not stamped. They are easy to install, but require removing the exhaust to install them, so you may need new exhaust head gaskets. You take the head pipe loose from the head, drop one in, and it gets "sandwiched between the head pipe and the head. I use the HD header gaskets, and you can re-use them two or three times, so I just loosened the muffler mounts, then removed the header nuts, and the pipe moved back far enough for me to slip the cone in, then torqued everything back up, and wal'la, everything was good again.
The problem is, you are trying to correct a problem that was created by modifying the exhaust system, albeit in a way that is less than optimal for performance, but more dedicated to the type of sound you wanted. If performance is the goal, you can't beat a 2 into one system. Muzzy had a set that made good numbers and I think Vance and Hines had the pro pipe. Many don't like the look, but they work the best.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #8

Torque Cones

I fully agree with you, on all the dino charts I've seen, for all different bikes, one thing is the same. The best HP and torque was achieved wit the 2 into 1 exhaust. But like you said, I don't like the look of the 2 into 1 on a baggar (with hard bags). This is a compromise for using larger free flowing exhaust systems, and keeping mufflers on both sides.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Torque Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE
I fully agree with you, on all the dino charts I've seen, for all different bikes, one thing is the same. The best HP and torque was achieved wit the 2 into 1 exhaust. But like you said, I don't like the look of the 2 into 1 on a baggar (with hard bags). This is a compromise for using larger free flowing exhaust systems, and keeping mufflers on both sides.
2-1 doesn't look right on a bagger. I understand that. May be someone has a 2-1-2 system (Technically the stock system is, but it's corked). Or make it yourself. Too bad flowmaster doesn't make a 2 in 2 out chamber for the middle. :)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #10

Torque Cones

VulanE This morning I installed the ultimate baffles I got from joe (chuckster) and they do sond good. Maybe a little loud but I like it. I can't really tell much difference in the low end torque but I take it kinda easy most of teh time. Just last night I was reading about the cones. So you say they do make a difference? On the thread here about the debaffling of the vance hines pipes there is 2 places listed online. Would you recommened them? For that low of price it seems like a good deal. Let me know thanks Mike

Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #11

Torque Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyger
VulanE This morning I installed the ultimate baffles I got from joe (chuckster) and they do sond good. Maybe a little loud but I like it. I can't really tell much difference in the low end torque but I take it kinda easy most of teh time. Just last night I was reading about the cones. So you say they do make a difference? On the thread here about the debaffling of the vance hines pipes there is 2 places listed online. Would you recommened them? For that low of price it seems like a good deal. Let me know thanks Mike
Hey Mike, if you have the screens on the baffles, then you don't need the cones. That's probably why you didn't notice a difference. I don't know of anyone that runs the screens, and the cones, so I can't say if it would help, but if you run the baffle like I do, (open with just a 1/4" pin going thru the center) they will help (and it is louder than with the screen). And if you run the pipes with no baffle at all, they most defiantly would help. Like you say though, for the price, it might be worth a try?

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

Torque Cones

vulcane The one's I got from joe has the pen running through the middle of it. So that pen helps with the torque? I have never even tried it without any baffles Thank for your time! i appreciate it!

Old 02-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Torque Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyger
vulcane The one's I got from joe has the pen running through the middle of it. So that pen helps with the torque? I have never even tried it without any baffles Thank for your time! i appreciate it!
In the old days, or really not so old, cops would put a probe (I've heard night stick too, but that seems too big) in the tailpipe to see if it was debaffled. Obviously they can't do that with the pin there. I don't that pin would do much of anything for back pressure.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #14

Torque Cones

Mike, the pin does very little as far as helping with torque. It is there because it does alter the "sound". Sounds like you might need the cones since your not using the screens. Anything that disrupts or alters the flow, does cause resistance (which is back pressure), and an engine requires back pressure to be efficient in the lower RPMs (below 3500~4000). I bet that if you installed a set, you would notice an improvement in the "Get-up-n-go" department when rolling on the throttle.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #15

Torque Cones

Vulcan E The one's you posted above from ebay are on the way!15.95 free shipping! Hope they fit! I will let you know how they work Thanks again for your help and information. Mike