Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 AM   #1

20 mph vibration

See if you are familiar with this. I've had a noise for about a year. If I accelerate up to....whatever....and then when I come to a stop , as the Mph is coming down , right at 20 mph I hear a buzzing noise that sounds like a front fender is loose and vibrating. It lasts about a second or so then goes away. It's never at any other speed other than 20mph while decelerating whether clutch is in or out. Makes no difference. But it does it every time. I've checked everything for looseness and can find anything. Why would it only happen when I decelerate and get to 20 mpg? Could it be coming from the motor ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #2

Pull your headlight and see if anything in there could be vibrating against the housing.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #3

If you haven't checked it yet, the heat shield on the exhaust pipes have rivets that some times will loosen also.
VBA #00671

Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #4

I don't see what bike you are refering to so I assume it is a nomad. Some possibilities that others have found vibrating are: Rad housing or grill, the speedo housing, extra keys on your key ring, and don't laugh, but one fella was having a hard time pinpointing the source of the noise convinced it was some where on the front of the bike. Finally turned out to be the snaps on his helmet visor.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Check the little rubbers where the chrome exhaust covers meet. The section right below your seat where the front cover connects to the rear. There is a tongue and grove setup and the tongue is covered in rubber.

Can't believe I just wrote that with a straight face.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Pull your headlight and see if anything in there could be vibrating against the housing.
Mine did this. I put a tiny piece of 3M double sided auto tape in 5 or 6 spots equidistant between the beauty ring and the housing and it stopped. I couldn't hear it at higher speeds, but I think that was only due to the higher amount of wind and engine noise. Either way, now it's gone.

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #7

My '04 VN1500 had a persistent vibration buzz at low speed; I found the windshield barely touched the banjo bolt for the clutch master cylinder and thought I had it, but the vibe was still there, then while doing something else, I found two driving light wire clamps behind the windshield. Put a 10mm wrench on one, turned it half a turn till good and snug (hold the wire clamp so it won't pinch the wire) and do the same to the other one. Vibe gone.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #8

I've checked most of the things mentioned. My problem is that it only happens at 20 mph. With the clutch pulled in and coasting down to 20, there is no vibration to speak of and it still does this. It has something to do with the 20 mph as it doesn't do this at any other time.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exharley View Post
I've checked most of the things mentioned. My problem is that it only happens at 20 mph. With the clutch pulled in and coasting down to 20, there is no vibration to speak of and it still does this. It has something to do with the 20 mph as it doesn't do this at any other time.
It's a harmonic balance sound wave vibration thing. I just made that up. It is happening when you describe because that just happens to create the right set of conditions to make it happen. It isn't the clutch or the engine.....it is just the engine rpm and engine vibration is just right with the road vibration. Let the clutch out it dampens the engine vibration a little and it doesn't happen.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Start taking stuff off and try it. Pull the headlight and wrap the wires in rags. Go for a ride. Take off the fan shroud and do it again. Exhaust bling next....unfortunately it's going to take that kind of an effort to nail it down I am afraid.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #10

If your bike is a 1500 just reach out and touch the speedo when it buzzes or rattles. I had one Nomad that did it and I had a terrible time trying to figure out what it was. I thought the noise was a fender or the radiator. I used washers to shim out the buzz until I got the rubber under the speedo replaced.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #11

The bike is an 05 1600. I guess I'll just have to start taking things apart till I figure it out.
It makes the noise whether the clutch is in OR out , makes no difference.
Thanks fellers.