Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #31

Trunk update:

So we went to Americade with the new trunk and everything went fine. None of the hardware became loose and nothing cracked.

The trunk can rock forward and backward a tiny bit because the center bracket latch (that attaches the trunk to the chrome quick release weldment) is a little bit of a loose fit. I'm trying to figure a way to tighten up that fit.

Nikki said the trunk back rest was a good improvement over the stock sissy bar backrest.

The trunk proved very convenient and we were generally surprised that it could hold more than we thought it could. We bought 2 new jackets and we were able to fit both the old jackets, 2 rain suits, some gloves and some other stuff in the trunk. I didn't think it could all fit but it did.

I was surprised today to find that it can hold my largish full face helmet, a thick hooded sweatshirt, some gloves, a can of Honda polish and more.

It's not as big as a Harley trunk for sure but it is much larger than the old mini trunk I used to use.

I did install the battery powered stick on light that has the angle sensing switch. That thing is really nice - very convenient. I have thought about adding some more of these to my saddlebags.

Some of the steel plates & brackets inside the trunk that I had painted black got scratched on the trip. I think we might powder coat those in the fall for a more robust finish.

Also, the lift struts I used are not strong enough. They are 30 psi each. So I ordered some new ones that are 50 psi each and we'll see how that goes. The 30 psi struts are not strong enough to open the lid by themselves but they are strong enough to keep it open. I'm hoping to add some pressure so that when I unlock the trunk it opens it self. I'll report back on that once the new struts come in.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700SC (Sold)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Work4crown; 06-14-2016 at 03:39 PM.