Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-14-2020, 06:11 AM   #1

Difficult to shift gears

Hi

I have a Vaquero over here in the UK, and recently I have had issues when stopping the bike being able to get it into neutral from 1st. Its just wont go in at all. And yesterday I was out and the bike wouldn't come down the gears from 5th. With a very heavy kick it would come down but required a lot of force. I kept going and after about another 30 miles is freed up enough to carry on.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #2

Try changing the engine oil, My bike always shifts much smoother with fresh oil in it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
Top Contributor

If there is a linkage that goes from the shifter pedal to the transmission disconnect one end and make sure everything is moving freely.
Is your clutch disengaging properly ?

Old 09-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Really hard shifting is usually a sign of a dragging clutch or a clutch that doesn't disengage. Result is trying to shift under load with no clutch. Certainly confirm the linkage outside the engine case is properly set up and operational, offering full travel action of the shifter. But this sounds like either low fluid in the clutch master cylinder, and/or a leaking clutch slave cylinder. How many miles on your bike? Done any maintenance on the hydraulic system to actuate the clutch? Any recent updates or repairs?

Low fluid in the master cylinder may allow air into the clutch hose. Air acts like a spring in the system, such that moving the clutch lever is just compressing the air and not displacing fluid to move the slave cylinder rod to disengage the clutch. Result is a dragging loaded clutch when trying to shift. Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder at the left grip. If that looks good, all checks out, then I would go the other end of the clutch hydraulics at the slave cylinder moving the clutch throwout rod.

Leaking clutch slave cylinder gives similar results. The fluid being moved by the clutch lever action leaks at the slave cylinder instead of moving the throwout rod to disengage the clutch. Look for fluid evidence around the slave cylinder, oil dirt/grim also indicate a fluid leak or slave cylinder seal failure. Low fluid level or leaky slave cylinder would cause the clutch to drag/hang up, the clutch would be mostly ineffective. The result being you are trying to shift the tranny without using the clutch. I have found on my 1600 I can upshift without the clutch from 3rd gear on up. But no downshifting without the clutch. Better to use the clutch for shifting.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 09-14-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #5

Put your bike up on a lift, look at all your shafts, bushings, and linkages....make sure all is tight and wiggle free.
lube your linkages, bushings.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply guys.

It's done 31k miles and only recently had its full services with new oil and filter change and I got them to change the brake and clutch fluids also, so everything is new and clean.

Just can't understand how it freed up after a while unless the linkages as you mentioned had something hindering it.

I will keep my eye on it over the coming weeks.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post

It's done 31k miles and only recently had its full services with new oil and filter change and I got them to change the brake and clutch fluids also, so everything is new and clean.

Just can't understand how it freed up after a while unless the linkages as you mentioned had something hindering it.

Oh, I also had the clutch slave and push rod cleaned as they really do pick up a lot of dirt and it was really full of it so that is also now clean

Old 09-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Hard shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post

Seeing as you are fairly new on the forum you may have missed the known issue of the drive belt being too tight at the factory setting. It can cause bearing failure of the transmission output shaft leading to a very costly repair.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #9

Back to original post.
" when Stopping" === If you are not at a total stop the bike will not really shift into neutral.
Positive neutral finder? so I am told that is what causes that to happen, designed that way.
Showing only 9 Posts I am assuming you are new to the bike. If you find yourself in 5th at a stop, a little bit of clutch to roll you forward a few inches and you should be able to down shift.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 11-18-2020, 03:01 AM   #10

Might I suggest letting the clutch halfway out, about to the point where the bike starts rolling from a..stop, and then try downshifting. Most bikes I've had do this where upon quick deceleration they won't go down through all the gears. It takes a full stop, then light clutch disengagement, then press down of.foot shifter. Works Everytime for me.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:50 AM   #11

All good advice above, I'll add one more, don't do the heavy foot thing, it gets expensive.............Mike
Quote:
With a very heavy kick it would come down but required a lot of force