Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Well it is done. V&H Baggers installed

Well I got back the left side muffler and tail pipe from V&H, which they RMAed. So excited as a kid in a candy store, as soon as I could I went to install them. I put on the heat shields, the head pipe and I go to slide the muffler on and no dice. It is no better than before I went through this whole ordeal, after they said they fixed it. My wife as my witness I couldn't put is on far enough. So I did what any good man would do. I got pissed off. I went and took my Dremel tool and cut off about .5 inch off the head pipe. Well that did it. I got the muffler on and was able to secure everything up. Never a problem with the right side, only the left. Needless to say their support didn't do anything. I could see they sent a new head pipe and muffler and that they ground the muffler, but they must not have tested it.

I am happy now, and the Baggers sound incredible. It just should have gone on without all the headache. Like I said though, they are on and sound great. I should be able to test ride it tomorrow or Friday and then I will be able to give a report. Not only on the pipes, but the TFI and Caddman as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

I can't understand why they don't fix that. All it would really take is deburring the parts before chrome, and maybe a test to look and see every 1,000 parts made. No quailty controll what so ever. I have no idea when the problem started, but I know for a fact there has been this problem since 04.

The worst thing for them is they are building a reputation, and if I know anything about riders, it is they have a long memory when parts ain't right

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I couldn't agree more macmac. Now that they are on, they sound great, but when you spend over $400 you expect that the parts would fit together. Sad really. I haven't heard of this problem on their other pipes though.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about that dhomoney. I put a set of these pipes on a few weeks ago and I was expecting the worst after all the posts. But mine went together without a hitch. No cutting or filing at all. I would have been just a frustrated as you though if I'd had that problem.

Will be waiting to hear about the results with the intake and TFI. I plan on doing those after Christmas.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Top Contributor

I cant believe it took this long to install the beautifull V&H pipes,,,

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Advanced Member

They were a huge pain in the ass. Love the sound of them though.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty
Sorry to hear about that dhomoney. I put a set of these pipes on a few weeks ago and I was expecting the worst after all the posts. But mine went together without a hitch. No cutting or filing at all. I would have been just a frustrated as you though if I'd had that problem.

Will be waiting to hear about the results with the intake and TFI. I plan on doing those after Christmas.

Man I got no idea what yer doing right, but what ever it is keep it up... So far since 04 you are the first one to buy and fit one of these set ups with out cutting or grinding to fit..

About when was the date you bought these?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Advanced Member

I'm going to be very non-judgemental regarding V & H product service. Okay - not!!! They just plain suck the big one!!! Sorry you got to suffer the same kind of treatment as alot of us!! But at least you did finally get the results you wanted - some of us didn't and have just plain givin up! I have a pair of V & H Bagger mufflers only that are sitting in my garage as decorations - if I had a Chrsitmas tree I would put them up every year ( but they would probably suck at that too!!)

Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Quote:

Man I got no idea what yer doing right, but what ever it is keep it up... So far since 04 you are the first one to buy and fit one of these set ups with out cutting or grinding to fit..

Macmac,
That's what I figured based on all the comments I'd read before I bought them. But the pipes actually would slide deeper into the muffler than what was needed to line the brackets up with the bolt holes mounting them to the bag frame. I was careful not to stress the crossover pipe as I'd read that might contribute to cracking. It was a suprisingly smooth install, considering I'd never done it before.

I installed them on 11/07, and the date of manufacture on the box was 10/2008. Got them from Bikerhaven, via eBay.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Made 10/2008 huh? I wonder if they have 'seen' into the problem? It might be interesting to know of other past that date huh?

In Spring coming someone has contracted me to install a set, with the Caddman and a TFI and maybe other items of an electrical nature for hire. It would be nice to think I don't need to grind new parts.

In my work I like to be tidy, and not have to ruin new parts by cutting off what ever material, chrome in this case that keeps them from rusting.

With the correct fit the clamps and bolts shouldn't have to be used even, and so a film of anti seize should be ALL that is needed to seal these joints and make life a cinch to pull the mufflers off leaving the head pipes on for future service.

And that is my plan for this next job... However the bike isn't mine and the customer may desire those ugly clamps and bolts... I can't decide that for him..

I know for a fact i would be interested in fits after this date...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #11

So in short, you cut the header like we all said we had to do (or grind the inner weld) and ultimately, you never had to send them out for RMA and could have been riding

Final line, the vast majority of us have either cut or had to grind, so I would expect it on all future installs unless we start being flooded with the "I didn't have to do that" stories.

Stupid pipes ::)

Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

mikesth, yeah if you were aiming that bit at me, I did the grind inside over cut the pipe. Twice now... I don't like the cut the pipe way personally.. That is because i don't like the clamps and the bolts, and want all the pipe I can get inside the muffler.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 12-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Top Contributor

David. You never said if you contacted V&H after they sent you back the unfixed parts ?
I would be fuming.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
Top Contributor

dhomoney,
Sorry you had such a hard time with these. I had the dealer put mine on before I took delivery...so I can't comment.

Here is a link to a thread about a mod for those new Baggers I think you will really like. A couple screws on either pipe to get the baffles out and you can play with it all you want.

I know...just what you want to do after fighting to get them on....but if you don't like the sound and added benefits, it's super easy to go back to the stock condition of your Baggers! The stock Baggers do sound awesome, but I'm almost certain you will like them even better after this simple mod.... ;).

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ad=7970&page=1
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Quote:

I got a set in Sept this year and they went on like a glove.