Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

Question transporting bikes

If I trailer my bike which I may do this winter for down south I use a bike pro wheel chock for the front wheel. When I load it into the chock it really pinches the tire and I have one hell of a time getting it out. No matter how I strap the rear wheel down it seems to want to move a little sideways after travelling making it hard to get out of the trailer. Any help or suggestions for the rear or front tire. Thanks in advance. My bike is a Vaquero

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #2

Use a long ratchet strap from one side of the trailer, through the rear wheel a full circle and then over to the other side of the trailer. Pull it tight. I had the same problem and this was the fix for me.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

I use a chock and 4 straps. One on each highway bar and running to the front tie downs. I then run straps thru the bars in front and below the saddlebags and tied behind the bike. Using this method I have never had movement and have towed on trips over 1000 miles.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #4

If the trailer has a wood floor, I have screwed 2x4s down on both sides of the tire to keep it from moving side to side.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 05-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I currently use a chock and 4 straps but still get the rear wheel hop or movement sideways. The idea of the strap wrapped around the rear wheel and or the two by fours beside the tires seem like better ideas than what I have tried so far. I will try these methods. Thanks to all that replied. Much appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-03-2017, 04:06 AM   #6

I use a front chock, with 4 straps. Front 2 attach to loops I have going thru the risers. Rear 2 attach to rear crash bars in front of bags. Get good and tight, compressing your suspension some. Attach to the trailer rails about 2' ahead on the front, and 2' behind at the rear.
Movement is not a problem....even on the roughest gravel roads.

If there is movement, use a 2x4, with 2 short 2x4s coming off the side. This will form a TT design. Side this up straddling your rear tire, drilling holes thru the 2X4s, anchoring with 3/8s lag bolts. Rear tire will not move then....

If you tire is being pinched really hard from front to back, use your extra pivot mounting holes (on your chock) so it doesn't 'hold' the tire so 'hard'....Adjust it so you can give it a nice firm yank/pull on your handlebars to release it....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 05-03-2017 at 04:30 AM.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
Thanks for the input. I currently use a chock and 4 straps but still get the rear wheel hop or movement sideways. The idea of the strap wrapped around the rear wheel and or the two by fours beside the tires seem like better ideas than what I have tried so far. I will try these methods. Thanks to all that replied. Much appreciated.
I have done the strap through and around the rear tire sucessfully. Just make sure to put a softer rag between the web strap and the rim of the tire. Some scuffing may occur. Dont ask...

it did, however, keep the rear tire firmly planted.

Travel safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 05-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #8

Thanks Dragonlady58 and Smokier. I will try adjusting the pivot holes again to find some kind of happy medium. I have a couple of towels I will try wrapping the rear wheel before ratcheting the straps. Sounds like the two by fours would work as well. Thanks to all that have replied to this thread