Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #1

Choice of pipes

I see a lot of people talk about V & H pipes. Are the any problems with using Cobras true duals

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #2

Choice of pipes

I had Vance/Hines on my 06 Nad and I've got Cobra's on my 04. This is just an opinion so you Vance/Hines guys relax. I like the Cobra's much better. They aren't as harsh as the V/H pipes. If you really like window breaking pipes buy the V/H and take the baffles out.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #3

Choice of pipes

I guess what i really want is the ability to have a quiet low rumble sound or remove some baffles and have a loud bar hopper.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Choice of pipes

But didn't you TIG weld back in your baffles because you missed the quiet sound you learned to cherish from the beloved Nomad???? Now your confusing me! LOL

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Choice of pipes

Towering: To be honest with you if you did not like the sound of the stock pipes with the silencer tubes pulled out I REALLY doubt you will like the sound of ANY after-market pipe. Every after-market pipe (with baffles in) that I have ever heard was louder than the stock pipes with baffles out. Please find someone with V&H and listen to how it sounds before you potentially waste your money. The stock pipes with BD's instructions on removing the baffles is a very mellow sound in comparison. Just trying to help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #6

Choice of pipes

Thanks i look into it

Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #7

Choice of pipes

What trunk do you have on your Nomad?

Old 12-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Choice of pipes

I have the Cobra true duals and like them a lot. They are not too loud but have a nice mellow rumble. Also they were less expensive than the others I looked at. When I first put them on they sounded a little tinny, but after I richened up the fuel mixture, they sound great.
Paul

Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Choice of pipes

P.S. I got the tapered tips, and most people mistake them for stock exhaust until they hear them.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 AM   #10

Choice of pipes

Quote:
I have the Cobra true duals and like them a lot. They are not too loud but have a nice mellow rumble. Also they were less expensive than the others I looked at. When I first put them on they sounded a little tinny, but after I richened up the fuel mixture, they sound great.
Paul
how did you richen up the fuel mixture

Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Choice of pipes

First I bought a Cobra Fi2000 and tried various settings, none of which seemed to run right in all conditions; ended up at 3.5.0 (factory recommendation from Cobra when switching to Cobra pipes). Still, I noticed the bike ran better on cold mornings than on hot days, so I added a 550 ohm resistor to the air temp guage wire. The bike now runs like a scalded cat, rabbit or other varmit (whatever that saying is) and sounds great. If I was to do this over again, I would probably skip the fuel injection module and put about a 1000 ohm resistor on the air temp wire instead. This would have saved me $200+ and would probably work as well or better.
Paul

Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Choice of pipes

We aren't talking about pinging here, but just a side note: even with the Cobra Fi2000 (no matter what setting), I would get occasional pingging when lugging the engine on hot days going up hill. With the resistor mod, I am running unleaded plus instead of supreme, and have not had a hint of a ping in any condition. I may even try running regular unleaded and see how it goes.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #13

Choice of pipes

Thanks a million man. OK now where is the air temp wire ?

Old 12-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Choice of pipes

Go to Gadget's page http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm and look under "Bolt On Harder" and select "The anti ping - a 25 cent fix for pre-ignition".

Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Choice of pipes

Well I had a set of V&H Baggers on the 06 and it was way way loud - and after the Gadget's redirect baffle mod it still loud so I put a set of Stock Harley Touring mufflers on and it's abit quiet- louder than stock Nomad. Since it's - 6 C out and snow on the ground I decided to remove the baffles and try a different route on baffle mod. Much to my suprise the V&H baffles had fallen apart ( they use three small tack welds to hold the supports to the baffle body. Great quality!!! Not!!! These POS are only one year old and they are already falling apart! The only welds that were intact were the ones I made to put the washers cut in half in.
New mod is Stock V&H baffle with 4 - washers cut in halfspaced 1" apart zig zaged - a Samson Baffle 1 3/4" diameter turned backwards with the intake blocked off. Sound is not half bad - very deep - about 1/2 as loud as out of box Baggers. That dreaded Blap Blap is gone and you can hear the Radio now. Cannot take for a ride so as to see what difference in power - appears to still flow lots of air - rev's cleanly up to 5500 RPM ( on tach). Time will tell? Still not impressed with V& H quality! Having seen the gut's of a buddies Cobras I think V&H needs to get their collective cauka together.