Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 AM   #1

Resistor mod one more time

I have been considering doing the resistor mod to my bike. The pinging is really starting to bother me. My bike engine is stock, no aftermarket exhaust or air kit. I always run the highest octane gas I can buy usually 92 or 93. I have read that some of members on this forum have done it and most are happy with it. My question is "Is the resistor mod a permanent repair." On this board or on another one some said it is only a temporary repair. I have also heard of one person I think on this forum that had purchased a fuel commander and took it off he wasn't happy with it. In the near future I have no intentions of changing exhaust or putting on an air kit. I have talked to factory reps at bike shows and they say it shouldn't ping. From what I can see it seems to be a problem on a good many bikes not just mine. I trust the guys and gals on this forum more than I do the factory. If the resistor mod is not a permanent fix what should be done to correct the problem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Joe,
My bike has stock air intake (with solinoids removed and marble in vacuum hose), Cobra true dual exhaust and Cobra Fi2000. The bike ran ok with FI module set at 3.5.0, but would still ping a little on hot days when lugging the engine. I put a 500 ohm resistor on the air temp sensor wire, and the bike "woke up". I am now running unleaded plus instead of supreme, the bike has more power, and there is not a hint of ping under any condition. I am considering backing down on the FI module settings, but haven't done so yet. I am also thinking about trying regular unleaded, but haven't tried that yet either. My fuel mileage went from about 35 mpg to about 33 mpg with the resistor.
Paul

Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #3

Joe If I understand the resistor mod correctly. (BD please correct me if I'm wrong) It adds fuel across the entire RPM band. You may only need extra fuel under 2500 RPM. A TFI would give you 2 or 3 settings. 1 which works up to approx 3500 RPM and a pot that works like a main jet which adds fuel above that. The other pots determines at what RPM the mainjet comes in and one for accelerator pump. It uses fuel. I only get 28mpg around town and 35 on the highway.
The Power Commander can adjust fuel at about 100 different places...all throttle positions and RPM's.
Just my 2 cents

Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Bob, your somewhat correct. The resistor mod adds fuel because it fools the ECU into thinking the air is cooler that it actually is so yes it doest increase the fuel "across the entire rpm band."

But you have to think about what that means. Remember the ECU is programmed to provide the leanest mixture during the "testing" period for emissions. Adding a resistor, I'm using a 1K ohm, adds such a small difference ie: ECU thinks it's 10 degrees cooler so is adds a fractionally incremental amount that it's not going to overfuel at all other throttle settings. Remember the ECU picks up signals from the "air pressure" sensor and the coolant sensor as well. The air temp sensor is not the "all ruling" sensor. Just a small player in the game.

I plan on opening up the left side by slotting the bottom of the air cleaner cover in the shape of a slim rectangle on the bottom so the air that enters is much cooler which should further lower the air that hits the sensor on the left side.

Stock, the air that come into the engine is coming from between the cylinders into that rubber lined hole and I "theorize" that super heated air coming in from there causes a lot of our pinging. The bike certainly doesn't ping when the weather is cool and the bike has only run for a few minutes so I'm going in that direction with the air intake and believe the intake air is too hot once the bike warms up. The ECU picks up that signal of super heated air and really leans out the mixture. Bad programming for performance but it works for emissions.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #5

This is my left side setup. a 9"X2" filter and chrome cover.
The only issue is when I wash it I put the stock cover back on so the element doesn't get wet. I'm thinking of putting in a resistor too. I wonder if I'll need the TFI still?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

I like that look. what brand and parts are used bob?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 12-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #7

I got the blue gauze filter although you can get red too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrom...0510QQtcZphoto

Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

what did it bolt up too? The stock back plate is a funky looking piece of plastic?

Member # 0005

Old 12-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #9

The rubber on the 9" filter hits and seals perfectly on the stock backplate. You just have to seal off the intake from between the cylinders.
here's story on the mod...
http://nomad.eurekaboy.com/nomadairintake.htm

Old 12-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #10

Thanks guys for your input. My bike at least as much as I can figure has an exessive amout of pinging. I can get it to ping under most any condition however I does ping the worst the hotter it is. I can make mine ping at 70 mph in 5th gear by cracking the throttle it pings real loud all most sounds like it going to blow. This shouldnt be anywere the lugging rpms. Someday I will put on a tach but not in the near future. Those of you that have put on fuel commanders what has been the change in your fuel mileage? I like the idea of being able to use a lower grade of gasoline since it would save a little bit at fill up time especially since prices are going up all the time. BD beside the resistor do you have any other mods to your engine or exhaust? Has anyone put on a power commander and not done any other mods to engine or exhaust. If so what were your results. I understand that if I was to put on new exhaust,air kit and a power commander that it would solve the problem I'm having but I dont have 7-$800. extra right now, and I like the quiet sound of the stock pipes. Everyone I ride with has loud pipes and the damned things give me a headache after riding with them all day, I wouldnt mind a little deeper sound but I dont like load cracking pipes,30 years ago I would have liked it. I had quit riding in my mid 20's because I wasnt fit to be on a bike and I wanted to be able to see my kids grow up. One of the deciding factors in purchasing the Nomad was because it is no race bike. I have rode a few sportbikes and I have to say I'm still not fit to have all of that power, so I better just keep what I have. Some kids never fully grow up.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #11

I put on a Kuryakyn "Wild Things" TFI before I did any upgrades to pipes or Air Filters because my stock 2005 1600 pinged so bad. My bike, like yours, pinged on any day that exceeded 65 degrees. I didn't lug the bike and you're right at 70MPH you should be able to give enough throttle to pass without excessive pinging. The TFI helped. On 100 degree days I still get some pinging. I can eliminate all pinging but my mileage goes down to 30 on the highway. I currently get 36-38 MPG highway and 28-30 MPG around town.

It's possible that your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is not set properly. Gadget has instructions to check and adjust. http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

You'll have to cut and paste the entire URL to get it to work.
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...can_1600_Nomad