Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #1

Leaky Gas Tank

So last spring, after the bike sat a while, I noticed that gas was leaking down through the frame somehow... Changed out the hoses in that area & it seemed to go away.. Had an issue free riding season.

Started getting the bike ready for this year & noticed the same thing, so I dove even deeper to find the issue. All the hoses look leak free. All the connections are good & sealed. When I took the two bolts off the rear of the tank & propped it up a bit to get a better look, it seemed fine. But when I set it back down to its normal position, I noticed there was a creeping amount of liquid (gas) that was slowly spreading over the copper area of the included picture...

Any ideas? My biggest fear is its a weld/seam that's going out & it'll need a new tank.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QHVIrzV

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by LikeAPuma; 03-09-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:33 PM   #2
Top Contributor

If I remember correctly there was an issue with the gas tank on certain bikes. I think there was a recall but hopefully another forum member will come along and confirm.

What year, what model ?

Last edited by redjay; 03-09-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:24 PM   #3

It's a 2006 Vulcan Nomad. I'll start looking into that as well. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
Top Contributor

I think it was what is called a "silent recall". They don't notify you but if it is an issue they would deal with it but with yours being 15 years old I doubt they will cover it.
If you don't hear from any forum members I would contact your dealer.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #5

I had a 2006 1600 classic with a leak under the tank at the welds. Took it to the dealer and it was indeed under a recall. New tank at no charge.
Ivan's flash and lots of other stuff

"God is good even when we aren't!!"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPreacha View Post
I had a 2006 1600 classic with a leak under the tank at the welds. Took it to the dealer and it was indeed under a recall. New tank at no charge.
How long ago was that ?

Old 03-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #7

I double checked the VIN & it looks like it's not covered. But when looking at a 2006 classic tank, they appear to be identical... So that kinda stinks. The mechanics at my work said they'd run a pressure test on it, & if that is truly the issue, then I'll have to find someone to fix the weld
Body shop? Fabricator? What's my best bet?

Old 03-10-2021, 11:06 AM   #8
Top Contributor

I would call the dealer and ask his opinion before you do anything else.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #9

I got my 2006 nomad tank replaced under warranty about 3 years ago. Just talked to my local dealer. They got me a new tank, I replaced it my self and just had to take old tank to them. They got me new emblems also.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 03-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #10

I have a 2006 and the dealer couldn't get it covered. I ended up having the tank repaired. Probably paid too much ($1,200), but they welded the tank, coated the inside, repainted it and painted the pinstripe to match stock. I figured it was better than trying to get a replacement used tank. I figured the used tank could end up with the same problem.

Last edited by johnb; 03-12-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAPuma View Post
I double checked the VIN & it looks like it's not covered. But when looking at a 2006 classic tank, they appear to be identical... So that kinda stinks. The mechanics at my work said they'd run a pressure test on it, & if that is truly the issue, then I'll have to find someone to fix the weld
Body shop? Fabricator? What's my best bet?
Did you call the dealer ?

Old 03-13-2021, 05:06 PM   #12

Its best to let a qualified professional fix your tank, then it will be done right. Old tanks and new tanks are soldered, and the process of keeping them from exploding in your face is of great importance. I fill tanks with a inert gas, regulated down to the tank....
Anyone who has ever seen a bikes fuel tank 'pop'....knows what I'm talking about. The guy at the Harley factory that trained me showed what one would do IF the proper safety instructions weren't adhered to....really scarey schit!

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 03-13-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Its best to let a qualified professional fix your tank, then it will be done right. Old tanks and new tanks are soldered, and the process of keeping them from exploding in your face is of great importance. I fill tanks with a inert gas, regulated down to the tank....
Anyone who has ever seen a bikes fuel tank 'pop'....knows what I'm talking about. The guy at the Harley factory that trained me showed what one would do IF the proper safety instructions weren't adhered to....really scarey schit!
You bet!
There's a post on the VRA USA Forums where the guy had a friend weld the cracked seams. While he didn't blow himself up, he obviously never repaired a tank before, because after finishing and painting the tank, it still leaked! He didn't test it to see that he had sealed all of the leak. After the second time, it finally was repaired. And the rough paint the second time, while mostly hidden, would disappoint me personally.
I'm glad I had a professional do the repair and paint, since don't have those skills. It was worth it.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #14

Same thing on my 2005.POR15 Tank sealer, followed the direction to a T and problem solved.
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.