Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #1

baffle removal, fessing up.

Well I thought those baffles were going to be easy to slip out but nope not mine. Difficulty factor of about 11 outa10, sphincter factor about the same. So I ended up grawnching the internal outer baffle tubes. Bet I'm not alone on this one. And yes I was using a slide hammer but they just would not budge. I poured some wd40 in there and left them overnight. After about another hour next morning they gave up the fight. Looking in the exhaust after wasn't a pretty sight. My fix was to machine up a couple of flanged sleeves about 2" long out of steel billet material, made sure they were a nice tight hammer with a lump of wood fit. Also used some JB weld and I think they turned out pretty good. Just another option for those of you who arnt fessing up But you need a lathe. By the way I cut a 2" hole to get the baffles out cos a mate of mine did his also but with the smaller diameter hole. Thought his sounded a bit farty. Happy with mine tho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0511.jpg (35.1 KB, 135 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by muz; 01-18-2014 at 06:01 AM.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:12 AM   #2

Looks good. If you don't have a lathe valkyrie exhaust tips work great.

BMW looks like you could use a new tire.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
Looks good. If you don't have a lathe valkyrie exhaust tips work great.

BMW looks like you could use a new tire.
Yep, as soon as the wet season hits. If it ever does.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

That tidies it up pretty nice.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #5

I wasn't going to say anything, I thought I had done something wrong, but I had the same problem, my solution was to bend the edge of the baffle in enough to get a pair of vise grips on the edge. Then I installed an eye bolt in the back wall of my shed, hooked a ratchet strap to the eye bolt and to the vise grips, tightened the strap up enough just to keep tension on the baffle while I wiggled and tap the thing till it finally came loose. I used some of that metal epoxy putty to smooth out the boogered edge, sanded down and painted.

2001 Nomad 1500FI
2000 Victory Sport Cruiser

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyddy View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, I thought I had done something wrong, but I had the same problem, my solution was to bend the edge of the baffle in enough to get a pair of vise grips on the edge. Then I installed an eye bolt in the back wall of my shed, hooked a ratchet strap to the eye bolt and to the vise grips, tightened the strap up enough just to keep tension on the baffle while I wiggled and tap the thing till it finally came loose. I used some of that metal epoxy putty to smooth out the boogered edge, sanded down and painted.
Mate, talk about thinking out side the square .

Yep mine was a prick of a thing to do. I think it was because the bike is a 06 model with real low miles. Baffles had plenty of time to rust up in there.
Something to consider if you thinking about removing the baffles on an older model.

Last edited by muz; 01-23-2014 at 11:22 PM.