Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #76

I'm still a little jealous about all of this. I like where it is all going.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out which toy to buy stuff for. I'm trying to outfit my Land Rover Disovery2 with some off-road stuff, like bumper w/ winch, bigger tires, wheels, and that sort of stuff.

I also want to add a reckless fairing, stereo, paint, and this new wheel option to my Nomad. Geez! My wife is going to kill me when I bring this one up to her.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post
I'm still a little jealous about all of this. I like where it is all going.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out which toy to buy stuff for. I'm trying to outfit my Land Rover Disovery2 with some off-road stuff, like bumper w/ winch, bigger tires, wheels, and that sort of stuff.

I also want to add a reckless fairing, stereo, paint, and this new wheel option to my Nomad. Geez! My wife is going to kill me when I bring this one up to her.

Maybe shes jealous cause you get to have all the fun. Let her put the winch/bumper on, you do the wheel mod!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 02-14-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
Maybe shes jealous cause you get to have all the fun. Let her put the winch/bumper on, you do the wheel mod!
You're reading my mind! I think I've almost convinced her to buy the bumper for the truck ($650). If she does that, I'm going to get a Harbor Freight winch ($200-$300). Then, maybe I can work on the fairing and the front wheel.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 02-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #79

That wheel mod looks real good Vulcan Bill. The chromed forks really set it off.

Classic 1600, a.k.a. "The Black Stallion"

Old 02-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhoof View Post
That wheel mod looks real good Vulcan Bill. The chromed forks really set it off.
Thanks. I'm real happy with the way it turned out. The lower legs are polished, not chromed. The shop did such a good job its hard to tell and it was half the $ it would have cost to chrome them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #81

It does look great!
Good polish work on aluminum will last a long time with just minimal maintenance
I would consider doing this but I got my heart set on a 21" wheel
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers View Post
It does look great!
Good polish work on aluminum will last a long time with just minimal maintenance
I would consider doing this but I got my heart set on a 21" wheel
You can have that 21" wheel! Once you do this modification you can put any wheel that fits a 2010 and up Harley Steet Glide/Road Glide on your bike. I'm sure they have 21" after market wheels available.
I'm finding the polished legs don't really require that much maintenance to keep them shining. An occasional buffing with Simichrome or some such keeps 'em sparkling.

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 02-18-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #83

I think the polished aluminum looks way better than chrome. I refer to it as white chrome...besides...anybody can buy chrome but pol. alum. takes a lot of elbow grease...Bdog

Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Just an update on front wheels, Street Glide, Road Glide and Road King wheels will fit too. You just have to measure the distance between the bearings and the rotors for fork and spacer mods. Just be sure the wheel you pick has 25mm ID bearings.

Oh and by the way if someone with a 1500 would like to do this mod and you can get me some dimensions, send me a PM
Hey Dave..the conical axle spacers you machined for me arrived in the mail last night. Excellent workmanship, beautifully done. I was going to wait until my next tire change to install them but after seeing them I'm eager to put them on.
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #85

Thanks Bill,

Are you sure you can wait for a tire change to install them? Glad you like them. For even more bling you can polish them. They'll look like chrome.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
You can have that 21" wheel! Once you do this modification you can put any wheel that fits a 2010 and up Harley Steet Glide/Road Glide on your bike. I'm sure they have 21" after market wheels available.
I'm finding the polished legs don't really require that much maintenance to keep them shining. An occasional buffing with Simichrome or some such keeps 'em sparkling.

I'm curious what do you use to buff them? The same buffer you would use to put on car wax?

Classic 1600, a.k.a. "The Black Stallion"

Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Thanks Bill,

Are you sure you can wait for a tire change to install them? Glad you like them. For even more bling you can polish them. They'll look like chrome.
I clamped one in vise this morning and using a buffer wheel in my drill and some Simichrome polish had it looking like chrome in about 10 minutes.
I'll be installing these this weekend.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhoof View Post
I'm curious what do you use to buff them? The same buffer you would use to put on car wax?
I do it by hand using a rag and my favorite metal polish, Simichrome. You turn on the radio, open a beer and spend some quality time polishing the bike

Old 02-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #89

2012 SG wheel mod done.

Many thanks go out to Vulcan Bill and dshelly for answering all my questions on doing this incredible mod, Wow what a difference. Front tire is a 120/70.

The Nomad is on my HF lift now doing many more mods I will end up starting a new thread to keep you all up to date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg street glide wheel.jpg (99.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg street glide wheel 2.jpg (100.6 KB, 108 views)

06 Nomad
Rock Island,Il

Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #90

Looks good, Doyle! I really like the looks of that 120 tire. I might have to drop down to that size on my next tire change. How about posting your impressions on handling after you get a few hundred miles on it.
BTW..you can plug those axle holes with chrome snap caps bought at a Lowes, Home Depot or any electrical store. They buff up to nice shiny finish and only cost about a buck each. Use a little silicon to glue them in place. Look at my pictures on page one to see what they look like.