Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #1

Risers... yes or no.

I lurk here but rarely post. I think it's because I just ride. I love my Nomad and it never needs anything but maintenance.

I got the bug recently to do some mods. It's pretty stock except for V&H pipes, jet kit, and a tour trunk. My goal is to make it a better tourer in addition to puddle jumper. So I picked up some highway pegs, a cruise control, better grips, and eyeing up a Corbin saddle. Also splurged and got a batwing fairing.

Do I want risers? Need risers? I'm sure it has to do with my reach, height, etc, but how do I tell? What fatigues first if the bars aren't in the right spot for you? I'm not going for a specific look, I'm going for comfy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Sit on the bike with your arms and back where you feel the most comfortable and compare that position to where the grips are, then make the appropriate changes.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73 View Post
I lurk here but rarely post. I think it's because I just ride. I love my Nomad and it never needs anything but maintenance.

I got the bug recently to do some mods. It's pretty stock except for V&H pipes, jet kit, and a tour trunk. My goal is to make it a better tourer in addition to puddle jumper. So I picked up some highway pegs, a cruise control, better grips, and eyeing up a Corbin saddle. Also splurged and got a batwing fairing.

Do I want risers? Need risers? I'm sure it has to do with my reach, height, etc, but how do I tell? What fatigues first if the bars aren't in the right spot for you? I'm not going for a specific look, I'm going for comfy.
What RedJay Said!... Long ride, Arms aching? Back and Shoulders tired and hurting? Wrist and forearms feel like you've been beaten with a hickory stick? Handlebars....the stock bars turn the hands and wrist in such a position it strains the wrists forearms shoulders and back. This is not a uncommon problem, thats why theres so many other types of bars.

For me, 10" Bagger Apes cured it, You could add risers. I know several that installed Meanie bars and they loved them.

Alot of us suffer from bad posture, add a handlebar that puts our wrist in a funky position....our posture can go to hell....not saying thats a cause, but its something to keep in mind.
Sit on your bike, sit up straight, arms straight out in front, level. Feel Better? Possibly try a set of bars that has a couple of inches for rise....like say the older harley buckhorn bars off the early shovelheads (Superglides)
Butt Hurt?...sorry....thats the seat....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 05-24-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #4

As the previous posters stated.....I find that relief can be found by just adjusting the bars. Some bikes really need risers however. When I purchased the Versys LT the bars were just too low, it's an upright seating position with a slight lean forward ala sport bikes. My lower back didn't like that so I went with the tallest riser block I could get without having to change hoses/cables/wiring. Works well now.

This is just my experiences......taller or shorter folks may have different experiences.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #5

I installed 2" Rox Risers so I'd have some adjustment leeway. I love 'em.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #6

Thanks for the thoughts. I think my main problem is the stock saddle. I've been eyeballing a Corbin, but it seems strange to put a $700 butt rest on a $2000 bike.

Most of my fatigue is from gripping the bars and using my arms/hands to help maintain the posture I want. If I could lean back, I'm not sure I'd have that issue.

Maybe saddle first, then see if I need to change the bars?

Old 05-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Have you looked for a used aftermarket seat ?

Old 05-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Sit on the bike with your arms and back where you feel the most comfortable and compare that position to where the grips are, then make the appropriate changes.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Thank goodness I trailered my '06 Nomad home when I bought it, 80 miles from my house. On my first ride I had to quit within the first 20-30 minutes because of the pain in my neck and between the blades. I'm short (5' 7") and the reach caused me to have to hunch over. I bought Phatt 2 risers and ended my back problems.They brought the bars up and back a few inches.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:19 AM   #10

What bike do you have?

I may have a Corbin Dual Tour that will fit.
VBA 936

Old 05-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #11

99 Nomad 1500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunk2.jpg (99.8 KB, 14 views)