Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

SLIP ON EXHAUST question

Hey All,

I just hit 500 miles on my 2019 voyager. I have to take it in at 600 for the first service, and wondered, is it ok to install slip ons at this time? Or should i wait until the bike is fully broken in like the manual says, around 1000 miles.
Looking at the freedom liberty slip ons. Not dong and Ivan's, and keeping stock air filter...........any help is appreciated!! I just want more throaty roar when riding! the stock is TOO quiet for me!

thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Personally I would wait the 1000 miles. Read the sales site and it didn't say anything about the right side muffler having a port for the oxygen sensor. If you don't do the Irans reprogram on the ECM you will need the sensor. If you rode a bike with the reprogram you would want it. Just smoother all the way around.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 02-25-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #3

Chuck

the Ivans reprogram is really that much better? i've read at low RPMs it's very jerky, especially doing the low speed maneuvers etc. what is your experience with this?

thanks !

mike

Old 02-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
.... i've read at low RPMs it's very jerky, especially doing the low speed maneuvers etc.
That was my complaint and the reason I removed mine, I do agree I am in the minority and it may be operator induced and/or a bike specific complaint.
It did work a heck of a lot better with the flash I just couldn't get over the low speed thing.....Mike

Old 02-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #5

It’s the single best thing I did for my Voyager! I installed new slip ons shortly after I got my bike and tried a couple different fuel programmers to try and get rid of the annoying popping on deceleration. This was about the same time as Ivan came out with the flash and I had just spent $350 for the Power Commander and had it about as good as I could get it dialed in. I couldn’t justify to myself at that point to spend the money to get the flash done so I lived with it for a year. More and more people on here were giving rave reviews on the flash SO..........The next spring I sent it in. I still am kicking myself for waiting now, after the fact. I guess hindsight truly is 20/20. I wouldn’t even hesitate. Just my 2 cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cantin
Mound,MN

VBA #03074

@mdcantin

2013 Voyager Pearl Crystal White / Metallic Phantom Silver
Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut
Ivan's Performance ECU flash
Kuryakyn Alley Cat Air
Metrix KVR Amplifier & Speakers
iPod Adapter Kit

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #6

Ivan tune will be the smartest money you ever spend on this bike, if you do the flash that is good for any exhaust but not for aftermarket intake would be your best bet, seriously don’t hesitate give that thing to Ivan ��

Old 02-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
Advanced Member

With my '15 Voyager, I did the reflash and the V&H slip-ons at the same time. My bike was jerky on the factory settings/exhaust. With the reflash/slip-ons my bike was so much better with mid to higher rpm's it was like being on a different bike. With that said, I did have a low rpm/weak to build revs sort of a problem but wasn't any worse than the factory settings, just not that much better. Low being under 2000 rpm's. Also I did have a common complaint (as Ivan said) about there being a split second stall somewhere around 2600 to 2800 rpm if 'gassing on it'. I know from my racing days that too open of an exhaust can be as bad as too restricted flow of an exhaust. So I put the factory mufflers back on with the Ivan's reflash just to start diagnosing the problem and haven't looked back. I can be in 3rd gear at 1500 rpms and it will pull out with no stall, no grunting, no jerking. If you know the 1700 engine by now you would said that don't happen. Crisp throttle response thru the rpm range and in all gears. That's with my 350 lbs azz on it. Even 6th gear has good pick-up at 55 mph. That's a arguing point as some guys want use 6th gear under 80 mph. I've got a set of V&H slash cut slip-on that are hanging in my shop and aren't going back on.

My thoughts on the Ivan's reflash: Save your money on the noise makers. Won't make it run any better. Go for what improves the engine overall response and performance. After all, the exhaust don't move the bike down the road. And yes I would do the reflash with Ivan any day of the week.

With all of that said, your bike will have an oxygen sensor underneath and at the front on the right side muffler. If you do get just the slip-on with out doing the Ivan's reflash you will need the port for the sensor. Reflash does away with the sensor. I can't tell you what manufacturer has built in the port but I know V&H don't have it.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 02-26-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #8

thank you all for the reviews/feedback! Slip ons and Ivans it is!

Old 03-02-2019, 05:43 AM   #9

BEAST1700, another vote for IVAN's ECU.

I had the V&H Slip-ons, very nice. Kinda wish I still had them. At the time I thought they were a bit too loud. Having tried other exhausts, they were pretty good. I keep going back to debaffled or gutted stocks. These are not throaty enough. I have a Pro Pipe now (Two into one), but the baffle was modified by (one of ) the PO's. A friend of mine is going to rebuild the cone on the baffle. We will see if that can land in the sweet spot of rumble without being too loud. (Sorry went off on a rant)...

DO get the ECU IVANized and best wishes on your slips-ons!

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 04-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #10

smokier,

I'm getting the freedom performance eagle slip ons next week. Is it crucial to do the Ivan's right away or could i wait several months as trying to be smart with the funds right now...............will the bike run poorly with just the slip ons and NO ivans or will it run the same as the stock pipes? thanks for the info!

Old 04-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #11

If the FP's don't have the hole for the oxygen censor you will have problems or will have to add a bung for the sensor. With Ivan's flash you no longer need the sensor and can use any slip ons.
Auxillary Lights
Kuryakyn Longhorn Highway Pegs
Mustang Seat

VBA #: 3681

Old 04-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAST1700 View Post
smokier,

I'm getting the freedom performance eagle slip ons next week. Is it crucial to do the Ivan's right away or could i wait several months as trying to be smart with the funds right now...............will the bike run poorly with just the slip ons and NO ivans or will it run the same as the stock pipes? thanks for the info!
In my opinion, you'll be fine getting the pipes now and the IVAN's ECU later. The bike should run about the same. Especially since these are slip-ons and not the whole system. (The whole system could change the back pressure enough to cause a change in performance...) What 4Steelers said is true. If the FP's have the O2 bung hole, move your O2 Sensor over until the re-flash. If no O2, then you'll need to wait until the reflash.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Last edited by smokier; 04-24-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #13

As I read this thread and complaints of Jerky Ivan Reflash - I wonder what version of the Reflash they had? I've had 3 different reflashes with each being better with the latest being the best for Rideability. In the original reflash while it ran great - there was no place you could hold it at a set speed. You either had to be accelerating or decelerating, thus it was Jerky. His latest Flash has all of that worked out. Just Thinking.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #14

thanks guys for the feedback! the tech at parts giant said the freedom performance slip ons have a provision for the 02 sensor for the voyager and they fit just fine.

appreciate all the info !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #15

Gaaaah!... All this talk of slip-ons got the itch going. A set of chrome FP Liberty's are currently being packaged up in Centerburg Ohio with my name on the box.

Thanks very much fellas. <rolls eyes>

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)