Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #1

Gas Tank Removal and Horn Relay Question.

I have an 06 and need to remove the gas tank in order to run the wiring for my new horn. I have taken the tanks off of previous bikes, however they did not have the pressurized tank and fuel injection. Is there any difference I need to know about, or is it still just take the instrument panel out, take the fastening bolt loose, disconnect the fuel line and lift it off?

Also, for the Stebel horn, does anyone know why they say to place the relay within 8 inches of the battery? I can't see why it matters where the relay is. The current has to run the full length of the wire either way.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #2

dank,

It does not matter where you put the relay as long as it is wired in with a adequate wire size to carry the current. The relay is simply in series with the horn and battery. I have also purchased the same horn and will be putting it onto my Nomad, so I will watch your thread for information about pulling the tank off. I have no knowledge on the tank removal question so cannot help you there. I think if my memory serves me right, the horn pulls something like 15 amps or so in a short burst. A wire size of AWG 14 ga. will handle this current with no problem. Just be sure to use stranded wire when you do the work as a wire made of a solid conductor will not survive the vibration and flexing over time. Good luck..... Doug

Old 09-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #3

dank,

The wire size I was referring to pertains to the load carrying wires (one from the battery to the relay, and the one from the relay to the horn). The relay control wiring, to the horn switch can be much smaller. The control wires can be sized same as what is in the bikes horn switch wiring... Doug

Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
dank,

It does not matter where you put the relay as long as it is wired in with a adequate wire size to carry the current. Good luck..... Doug
Thanks!

I found the tank removal steps on Gadget's site.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gas_tank_removal.htm

Sounds a bit more complicated than my other bikes, but probably pretty straight forward once I start. Sounds like a good thing to do when the tank is nearly empty.

Dan K
Member #100

Old 09-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Quote:
[quote:u3my5i29]dank,

It does not matter where you put the relay as long as it is wired in with a adequate wire size to carry the current. Good luck..... Doug
Thanks!

I found the tank removal steps on Gadget's site.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gas_tank_removal.htm

Sounds a bit more complicated than my other bikes, but probably pretty straight forward once I start. Sounds like a good thing to do when the tank is nearly empty.[/quote:u3my5i29]

I'd also like to follow this thread but am not sure why the tank has to be removed for the horn relay if it does not matter for placement.

Did I miss something? ???

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #6

[quote
I'd also like to follow this thread but am not sure why the tank has to be removed for the horn relay if it does not matter for placement.

Did I miss something? ???[/quote]

I want to remove the tank so I can run the wire with the fuse and power from the from the battery to the front and tie it down along the frame. I looked under the tank from the side and don't think I can do it in proper fashion without removing the tank. I will start by just taking the instrument cluster out. If I can feed the wire up from the back and secure it without taking the tank off, I will do so, but I expect to need to take the tank off and want to be prepared if that is what is required. I'm just going to use the current horn wires for the relay and mount it in the front rather than back at the battery.

Dan K
Member #100

Old 09-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
Top Contributor

taking the tank off is simple, few bolts a couple gas lines and vent hoses and its off, do when near empty or siphon it off.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

You can use the two wires now connected to the horn and plug then onto the relay coil connections. Then when you push the horn button the relay will click. Then you run a 14ga wire on a fused lead from battery positive to one side of the open contact on the relay and the other side to the positive terminal on the horn. Run the other, negative, post on the horn to ground.

Be careful when you pull the two leads off the original horn. Dont turn on the key and allow them to touch anything, including each other, because the horn circuit on these bikes if hot all the time and the horn button applies a ground. So if the hot horn lead touches the grounded frame or engine it will blow a fuse. You are okay as long as the key is off. Just plug those leads onto the relay coil posts and you will be good.

Buy a relay with a bolt tab on one side and mount it to a bolt on the side of the radiator frame near where the present horn sits.

This really is simple.
Idaho
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #9

When I ran an accessory outlet (cig lighter) to my windshield I used a straightened coathanger that I slipped down between the tank and frame...then pulled the wire thru. The hanger went real easy, no force required.

No problems.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
When I ran an accessory outlet (cig lighter) to my windshield I used a straightened coathanger that I slipped down between the tank and frame...then pulled the wire thru. The hanger went real easy, no force required.

No problems.
Sounds good. I'll try it.

Dan K
Member #100

Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Quote:
You can use the two wires now connected to the horn and plug then onto the relay coil connections. Then when you push the horn button the relay will click. Then you run a 14ga wire on a fused lead from battery positive to one side of the open contact on the relay and the other side to the positive terminal on the horn. Run the other, negative, post on the horn to ground.

Be careful when you pull the two leads off the original horn. Dont turn on the key and allow them to touch anything, including each other, because the horn circuit on these bikes if hot all the time and the horn button applies a ground. So if the hot horn lead touches the grounded frame or engine it will blow a fuse. You are okay as long as the key is off. Just plug those leads onto the relay coil posts and you will be good.

Buy a relay with a bolt tab on one side and mount it to a bolt on the side of the radiator frame near where the present horn sits.

This really is simple.
Idaho
Sounds simple enough. Is it documented with photos anywhere that you know of (Gadget, etc?).

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #12

Scion0, there are pix in this thread of the horn mounted on the left case guard. but not of the relay install.
http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...9374277&page=1

The posted pix were taken before I added the 'interpose' relay. I will try to get a close up of that relay and get it posted.
Idaho
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #13
Advanced Member

In the shop manual it states to plug a blocked off hose onto the fuel tap. Did that once, don't know why you have to. Ever since, I just disconnect the fuel line. No spillage. Also, do close to empty because of the weight (easier to handle). I also removed the tank for horn install. I wanted to zip tie the wires to the frame instead of just having them loose under the tank.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #14

Here is a picture of the mount that I used for the horn relay. tied it down with a bolt on the side of the fan housing.

Sorry it is blurry. Camera phone
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Here is a picture of the mount that I used for the horn relay. tied it down with a bolt on the side of the fan housing.
Thanks. I have been debating putting it there versus putting it back under the seat. My relay has a plastic case. Your mounting idea is great.

Dan K
Member #100