Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #1

Riding Season

Slowly but surely it is starting to warm up for those living farther north. With the new riding season also comes the potential problems. Many start thinking about checking the tires, making sure the oil is okay, and cleaning the bike. But is that all?

The first hour to one and half hours is dangerous for a rider. It takes time for the brain to come up to speed and adapt to the dynamics of riding. The majority of the accidents will happen in front of the bike and most often involve something turning left. Finally the last couple of miles going home are considered to be very dangerous. The rider becomes complacent because of a known area and forgets things may have changed since they left home. Convince yourself, it is just another unfamiliar address and an unfamiliar road. Until the bike is stopped, the kickstand is down, and the rider is safely off the bike the ride is not finished.

I started checking a couple of things most often overlooked before riding the Nomad after it has been parked for a while. When was the last time you looked at the taillight when the bike is running? Does it actually work? Did you squeeze the front brake and push the rear brake down to make sure the brake light worked? This is a good time to make sure the turn signals blink, too. I have replaced two taillights, one at home and the other on the road. For those of us without fairings the front light and turn signals are pretty easy. Changed two front lights over the years both have been while I was on the road. I always carry a spare H4 and 1157 bulbs in my saddle bags after it happened the first time.

It is amazing how many people never check the horn. Word to the wise, do not test the horn at home. Two things occur, the other half becomes annoyed and the neighbors mutter bad words about the dumb biker down the street. I have gotten in the habit of checking the horn every time I ride. Usually try to do it away from a residential area and with not too much traffic around. No sense in annoying somebody without a reason.

There have been several reviews for those having the super horns (stebel, wolo, and others) that their longevity and quality is not always good. Some have a tendency to go sssssssssttttt rather than HONK! after only a few times, and others seem to last forever. If the horn is tested every ride at least you know it worked before it might have to be used for real.

What are one or two things everyone else has gotten into the habit of checking routinely before they go out for the first ride of the season?

Hopefully everyone will have a safe year and not have any unfortunate mishaps.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #2

I check all my lights and horn before every ride. Also check the adjustment of the mirrors.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #3

Great Post! Thanks for the reminder. I checked all lights, turn signals and horn this past weekend. I rarely check tire and shock pressure unfortunately and I do a lot of 2 up riding. Since I bought new risers I am CONSTANTLY checking them for tightness and also my throttle lock for release and return. When I bought the bike it had an extra headlight bulb and a turn signal bulb in the mesh bag of the saddlebag.
Ride Safe!

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Top Contributor

I check brake lights, turn signals, emergency flashers and headlights while it's warming up in the driveway. As I'm doing that, I'll walk around it a few times a visually check "stuff". Nothing in particular but just making sure something doesn't look "off". I hit both brakes (separately) as soon as I leave the driveway. I tap the horn (OEM) once I'm out of the neighborhood. I check the oil and tire and shock pressure at the beginning of the riding season, then about once a week after that.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860