Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #91
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Most average riders, don't come close to riding a bike near its full potential, and a car tire is more than adequate for their style of riding on a touring bike or cruiser.I agree with everything you said Brad, except for the part about faster riders lacking a johnson. Gotta blame the gene pool for that problem.
You must be really pissed off at your parents Steve!

sorry, couldn't resist!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have no personal experience, but I would love the opportunity to give it a try. . . . I would be willing to conduct a series of objective experiments with a few of my buddies, publish my results and send you the tire back when I am done. Any of you Car Tire guys up to the challenge?
Your statements don't seem to line up. Neither do your questions given the experience and expertise that you seem to portray.

Make a habit of getting into a thread on the first page and reading through you will avoid questions that have been previously answered.

If you really want to "experiment" with the Darkside. Get a CT from a used tire dealer that still has legal tread and no cupping. Since you do your own swap outs, it should only cost you about the $20.00 you offered up for your side of the "challenge".

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #93

Quote:
The Voyager definitely ain't no sport bike. That is for sure. But it can be made to handle more responsively and predictable with suspension upgrades, setting the proper static sag, rebound damping for the road conditions and a good set of Rubbers.

One thing I always tell the guys on the Sport Bike forums is that if you take a sport bike and a Cruiser / touring bike and you ride down the same road at the same speed it takes more skill to ride the Cruiser / touring bike. So, even when you are riding the speed limit, the better you can make your cruiser / touring bike handle the easier it is to keep yourself out of trouble and avoid trouble when you encounter it.

BTW: The bikes in my signature aren't the only bikes I own. Just thought they would be the only ones guys on here would be interested in.
I agree, you do have to work or focus a bit more on a cruiser verses a sport bike, but most, not all riders of the riders I see on the cruisers could be followed with a lawn tractor.
The same goes for 99% of the people that own a Corvette or Mustang GT, if they ever had a ride in their own car with a guy that knows how to drive it to its potential they'd crap their pants.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
You must be really pissed off at your parents Steve!

sorry, couldn't resist!!
I got over it!

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #95
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
Your statements don't seem to line up. Neither do your questions given the experience and expertise that you seem to portray.

Make a habit of getting into a thread on the first page and reading through you will avoid questions that have been previously answered.

If you really want to "experiment" with the Darkside. Get a CT from a used tire dealer that still has legal tread and no cupping. Since you do your own swap outs, it should only cost you about the $20.00 you offered up for your side of the "challenge".
I think I just might have to do that so I can say, "Yes I have tried a Car Tire on my bike" and shut up some of the folks that say unless you have tried it you shouldn't be posting here. The Nomad will get a change sometime this summer I'm sure.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #96
Sr. Contributor

A challenge!!! now that's what I like!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #97
Top Contributor

Quote:
I think I just might have to do that so I can say, "Yes I have tried a Car Tire on my bike" and shut up some of the folks that say unless you have tried it you shouldn't be posting here. The Nomad will get a change sometime this summer I'm sure.
Hopefully you go into the change with a better attitude. I would go into the change with the attitude "If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't" and don't worry about those comments. Good luck and you might be surprised by the results.

VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Last edited by waterman; 01-20-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #98

Quote:

I realize that you are new from your post count.

It's highly unlikely that your lone opinion after your "spite ride" will shut anything. Darkside is just a subject that we like to disagree on. Usually the same folks with their same views on each side of each thread. The "after spite ride" comments you will inspire will probably amount to, "If you don't like it, don't do it!"

Thinking that you will change the mind of others with your personal opinion makes me think that you should be a politician.

The PRO Darksiders have decades of time and many thousands of miles behind their choice.
The ANTI Darksiders do not and will not accept that (Car = Good) anything for a motorcycle.
It would be easier to get a lifetime Republican to vote for Obama. But, good luck changing the world. . .

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #99

Quote:

It's highly unlikely that your lone opinion after your "spite ride" will shut anything. Darkside is just a subject that we like to disagree on. Usually the same folks with their same views on each side of each thread. The "after spite ride" comments you will inspire will probably amount to, "If you don't like it, don't do it!"

Thinking that you will change the mind of others with your personal opinion makes me think that you should be a politician.

The PRO Darksiders have decades of time and many thousands of miles behind their choice.
The ANTI Darksiders do not and will not accept that (Car = Good) anything for a motorcycle.
It would be easier to get a lifetime Republican to vote for Obama. But, good luck changing the world. . .
Preach it, brother! I agree with ya!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
Come to the Darkside, we have cookies and easy women.
Hey watch it there my friend, Taminator may read this!
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #101
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coacha View Post
Hey watch it there my friend, Taminator may read this!
Just put chocolate exlax on his next smore!!!!
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #102
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh I don't think I will change anyones mind. I just want to shut up those who say. "Well have you ever tried darkside?" and I am not talking about this forum. There is another forum where the moderators are quite touchy.

I got thinking about this subject more and how you said it was different like many bikes are different and I realized that some of the bikes I have demo'd are different. The Victory High Ball and the Victory Hammer S are very different. They are designed with form over function. The Victory High Ball has a fat front tire and ape hangers. It takes a lot of concentration to ride that bike through the curves. Just not a balanced machine, but it sure was cool! The Hammer S has this huge wide tire on the back. It took extra effort to put it into a turn and keep it there. I'm guessing the car tire will feel like this.

When journalists are reviewing a motorcycle one of the terms they use is Neutral Handling. Those two Victorys definitely did not have neutral handling.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 01-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #103
Sr. Contributor

Plus a big car, in my case, truck tire sure looks cool and brings out the lookers at the Rock Store..

I ride with "Dave" a lot and he has a HD Ultra and after I put my truck tire on he rode it in the mountains and when we stopped he said, as only he can put it, "I'll be darn, I don't notice hardly any difference." The softness on freeways and rough roads he noticed a drastic reduction in bumps. My girlfriend and I rode his Ultra double and when we stopped after 30 minutes she said "his bike runs a lot rougher, I felt every bump".. Not in a bad way but she definitely noticed it as I did to from the pilots seat.

Member # 0005

Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #104

Given the decision again with our new circumstances, I might have gone with Brad's tire over my current GYTT. As a daily commuter in the wet Seattle I was looking for all the traction I could get.

Point is, different area, different needs, different tire, different performance. The GYTT will probably last me for years to come. I know that one of anything isn't always the right answer. I'm Darkside for life, but open to improvements.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Plus a big car, in my case, truck tire sure looks cool and brings out the lookers at the Rock Store..

I ride with "Dave" a lot and he has a HD Ultra and after I put my truck tire on he rode it in the mountains and when we stopped he said, as only he can put it, "I'll be darn, I don't notice hardly any difference." The softness on freeways and rough roads he noticed a drastic reduction in bumps. My girlfriend and I rode his Ultra double and when we stopped after 30 minutes she said "his bike runs a lot rougher, I felt every bump".. Not in a bad way but she definitely noticed it as I did to from the pilots seat.
What size and make of a truck tire are you using Brad?
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager