Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Looking for a place to sit and try them out while sipping a beer for a half hour or so? Most bike shows/rallies with vendors give you just that opportunity. Unfortunately Covid cancelled most of them for this year - But give that route a shot as they open back up and are hungry for post Covid sales!

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2020, 03:30 AM   #17

Just a thought. I had my stock seat carved to help eliminate crunching my junk, which was always an issue. Then added the Joe Stapleton back rest. I was good. I am not affiliated with the manufacturer at all, I just like it. And it is the only other option I have found.

Stock seat had the foam carved by a local upholsterer, tested ( Road a bunch of miles) and reconfirmed ( adjusted) then reupholstered. I did not send it off to someone who thought this is what I needed.

If you are planning on a trip any were near Minneapolis then give me a call and you can sit on a Corbin, RDL or a Stock with the Joe Stapleton back rest. The Corbin also has a back rest but I am to short to make it actually hit my back.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 07-07-2020 at 03:37 AM.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Seat width support for your thighs.

One thing I don't hear anybody talk about is the width of the saddle up front to support your thighs.

What I was taught a long time ago is to get the seat as wide as possible in the front side to support your legs to take the pressure off of your tail bone. Hence the sciatica problem can be reduced.

When I bought my Corbin saddle I had them go back and widen the saddle in the front to support my legs more.

The cost of all this is when sitting at a stop, it is harder to touch the ground.

I was told by a sales lady in a motorcycle shop the seats are designed to be comfortable on the show room floor, because you won't ride it long enough before the sale to get the real story.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #19

The big difference between an RDL and many seats is it supports "around the rim"... like a toilet seat. Less pressue on those two little bones...you know the ones.

Made a 1000% difference for me.

I did an 800 mile day on an OEM seat...I was in agony every 45 minutes with only temporary relief because I was riding an ST 1300 which allowed me to stand up on my pegs every so often to relieve the pain.

I invested in an RDL. I could ride as long as I wanted to on that seat.

I find the more neutral seating position (i.e. ST1300, R1200RT, Goldwing, etc) less painful and fatiguing than the cruiser (Vulcan, most HD, etc) style.

Less pressure on the tailbone, but keep in mind most bikes will need to be tweaked to fit like a glove regardless of the style. YMMV.

Check out ergos for most bikes here;

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 08-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Here is some interesting info, related to the sitting bones and thigh support:

http://craigvetter.com/pages/Other_D...seatboard.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #21

You guys are killing me with all this talk of different seat options in the hopes of helping with sciatica. Main cause of it, assuming no issue with stenosis in the vertebrae, is weakness and posture. If you don’t use a LUMBAR back rest get one. Keeping hips externally rotated as in straddling a motorcycle or sitting with knees pointed out only makes problem worse. Look up piriformis, hamstring, hip flexor stretches as well as hip extension and low back strengthening exercises, perform daily. Must stretch tight muscles and strengthen weakened ones. Otherwise pain is your friend.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #22

You guys are killing me with all this talk of different seat options in the hopes of helping with sciatica. Main cause of it, assuming no issue with stenosis in the vertebrae, is weakness and posture. If you don’t use a LUMBAR back rest get one. Keeping hips externally rotated as in straddling a motorcycle or sitting with knees pointed out only makes problem worse. Look up piriformis, hamstring, hip flexor stretches as well as hip extension and low back strengthening exercises, perform daily. Must stretch tight muscles and strengthen weakened ones. Otherwise pain is your friend.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #23
Advanced Member

I'll have to study that. I am fortunate to not have sciatica, or any other issues you listed. But I like to learn about how we relate to riding and also how it may impact students I get in the cycle training classes I teach.