Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 03-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

Suggestions for Gulf Coast ride.

Hi everyone, I'm planning a trip to the Gulf Coast this June & am working on a things to see list. So far my plans are to start at Pensacola. I'll be visiting a fella I served in the Marines with & see the Naval Aviation Museum. From there to Mobile to see the U.S.S. Alabama. After that to New Orleans for some Cajun food & the W.W.2 museum. I then plan to visit the U.S.S. Texas & try some Texas B.B.Q. Then up to OKC. to visit family before I head home. The Civil War is one of my interests & there are 2 forts along my route that I know of. And when I travel I like to look for locally made B.B.Q. sauces & beer to bring home & try. This will be my first ride to this coast so I open to any suggestions as to what to see & try. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2018, 03:58 AM   #2

1. It will be very hot and humid in june there - guess why I know that !
2. Don't forget CorpusChristi, Tx and the USS Lexington - more west
3. wonderful beaches in Destin/Miramar/Ft. Walton Beach, Fl - more east
4. Pensacola Blue Angels

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dabull
-Agree with DemoMan, it will be hot...Hydrate...Alot
-If you are coming thru Monroeville AL, stop at Big D's Butts and Stuff dude can cook BBQ and homemade dessert...address on the menu, http://bigdsbutts.com/#/home
-Pensacola Naval Air Museum will take some time, its large.
-Fort Pickens in Pensacola. Believe Geronimo's wife (1 of3) is buried there
-USS Arizona park will take a couple of hours

Holler with dates when you set them, might be able to get over for breakfast/lunch;)

Old 03-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #4

Done that a couple years ago, but I started in the Galveston TX (visiting In-Laws)area coming back east after the rally in Eureka Springs. When I did get to the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola, they wouldn't let me on base, cause I wasn't dressed appropriately. If your on a bike, you "MUST" be wearing a helmet, long sleeve shirt, full fingered gloves, long pants, and boots. I had everything on but the long sleeve shirt, and boots, and they would not let me in, so just check out all the rules for the places you plan to visit, have a safe and enjoyable trip, and like was said, drink plenty of Gatorade.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to dabull
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
Done that a couple years ago, but I started in the Galveston TX (visiting In-Laws)area coming back east after the rally in Eureka Springs. When I did get to the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola, they wouldn't let me on base, cause I wasn't dressed appropriately. If your on a bike, you "MUST" be wearing a helmet, long sleeve shirt, full fingered gloves, long pants, and boots. I had everything on but the long sleeve shirt, and boots, and they would not let me in, so just check out all the rules for the places you plan to visit, have a safe and enjoyable trip, and like was said, drink plenty of Gatorade.

Good call on base attire...if half helmet add glasses/sun glasses to the list....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #6

Johnny Y
When you are in the Houston area, I will be happy to help you out with suggestions. Born and raised here. Just give me an idea of what you wish to see, what you like, we can go from there. Do have a good suggestion for BBQ in the area. You can pm me if you wish also.
Hope you have a enjoyable and safe trip

Old 03-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #7

Hi everyone, thanks for all the Info. I've rode in the south before + working in a factory w/o A.C. I know all about heat & hydration. Still good to give a fella a heads up on that anyways. I learned long ago not to plan for each day of a ride, just play it by ear after the first day or 2, so I'm not sure when I'll get to where I'm going. I've decided to skip N.O. & go to Vicksburg instead. I'm guessing I'll be in Houston on Wen. Not sure if I'll overnight there but I'm making a list of campgrounds in the area just in case. I like to camp when I travel, its a little cheaper & I don't worry about picking up bedbugs.