Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #1

Colorado bound

Hello all - Need some advice or help! My girlfriend and I are wanting to relocate to Colorado(hopefully Evergreen or Golden) !! We are coming out the 8th of February to look at houses and try to find jobs. She is a teacher by education but can do most anything. I was in manufacturing supervision for 20 years and am currently doing building and grounds maintenance. Been at it 16 years! Any insight as to where to look for jobs-any particular places always hiring? Looking for the shortest commute possible so will buy in area where we can find work. Anything we should be aware of? If this all comes about it will realize a 25 year + goal of mine. Thanks in advance for any help of any kind. PM me or post here! Cell is 712-830-2315 Thanks Abbo(Dennis)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #2

Colorado bound

Dennis,
Enterprise Products, (EPCO) has postings for several positions at Meeker, CO. It is a 650 or 700 million cubic feet per day cryogenic gas processing plant. They also have openings at the Pioneer Plant in Wyoming. They are looking for Operations and Maintenance Technicians. I work in the Eastern Gulf Coast Region in western Terrebonne Parish. The link for the company website is listed below. If you pursue a job with Enterprise and meet the Regional Manager up there mention my name (Mitch) to him. He was my manager down here for a couple of years. He is a really good guy and great Engineer. Good luck.

Mitch

http://www.epplp.com/

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 01-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #3

Colorado bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbo
Hello all - Need some advice or help! My girlfriend and I are wanting to relocate to Colorado(hopefully Evergreen or Golden) !! We are coming out the 8th of February to look at houses and try to find jobs. She is a teacher by education but can do most anything.
Thanks Abbo(Dennis)

Dennis,

Not sure I can be too helpful, although the housing market has been hit long and hard in some of the surrounding areas and there should be some deals there if you can find them, can get financing and are prepared for the Denver vs Iowa price differential that might not make them look so cheap.

Jobs in general are tough but probably not worse than many other places. The areas that Mitch mention are quite a ways from W. Denver and would likely result in getting to Denver only a couple times a year event. One bright spot that I am aware of is the expected major growth at the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) in Golden. A lot of high tech stuff but also buildings and maintenance that would go with a substantial physical plant expansion. I don't think the Coors Brewery is having such a good time of it but I would think that most people would at least check with them just in case.

We still see lots of what looks like new construction going on around the suburbs but closer looks indicate that it is halted or greatly scaled back. I've found teaching jobs can be tight because the overall area has a fairly high education level and a lot of spouses tend to be teachers.

This is certainly not exhaustive and I'd encourage you to get online with some of the job services and local newspapers (Denver Post is the paper but are also some smaller ones) Craigslist shows some jobs if they fit what you are looking for.

Note also, for surrounding Denver area, the closer you are to the mountains the more expensive things tend to get, not strictly true within Denver proper but the metropolitan area in general. Some the best housing deals would likely be northeast of Denver up into Weld county.

Good luck.

Ells

PS. Just remembered that we have a member in or near Evergreen, Mtn1600. You might get a hold of him but he hasn't been around much recently.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Colorado bound

Have to agree with Ells on his points. The areas that are probably easier for teaching jobs is in eastern Colorado. However, not much else for jobs right now. NREL is probably going to grow. There is also a plant that produces the props for wind generators near Windsor. Like Ells said, hit some job service offices and the paper.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #5

Colorado bound

I turned down a transfer from down here to the Meeker/Rifle area as an operations supervisor. My reason for refusing the offer was my 82 year old parents living next door to me. They were always there for me and the time has come for me to return the favor. Leaving the kids and grandkids would have been tough but if it hadn't been for my parents I would have taken the transfer with a lucrative moving package and a very good pay raise. I have no regrets other than every summer when the Atlantic hurricane season begins. We are on pins and needles over here for 3 - 5 months out of the year. The positions I described in the earlier post are very good and well paying jobs. The problem is the high cost of real estate in this region of Colorado. Astronomical to say the least. Keep these jobs in mind if nothing else turns up. I have been told by reliable sources that there is enough life to the producing fields for 3 more generations of employees! No need to worry about layoffs once you get started at either of these plants or the pipeline gathering systems. Good luck.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #6

Colorado bound

:) Thanks all for input so far. We know it isn't going to be simple, but we don't need a lot. Yeah, it is going to be hard to leave my granddaughters, but it is only about an 11 hr drive. Houses seem to be a really good buy right now. My girlfriend is selling her farm so she has to re-invest the money or pay lots of taxes. We (I) am actually looking to do something different if at all possible. Have been on-call for work 24/7 for 16 yrs. Time to wind down. I really think I would like to work in a grocery store for some reason. Maybe cause my grandparents use to own one. LOL Thanks, Dennis All will be fine, if you just believe!!