Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
BD has a radiator question

Have any of you had an occasional spot of radiator fluid on your motor?

I always have 3 to 5 or so drops of dried radiator fluid just below the motor mount and the shifting side (left) of my Nomad. After about a week of riding.

I've looked at all the hoses and don't see any migration (dried fluid) down the hoses that could have left these drip marks?

If you've noticed this around the area I'm suggesting and found the source, BD would appreciate it.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Top Contributor

freakin Gremlins after your bike too?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Top Contributor

gremlins i agree, my bike is dry no drippins of green herens

Old 12-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Mine stank of anti-freeze, but I couldn't see where it was coming from. I took in to the dealer as it was only 5 months old and it turned out to be the coolant pipe on the rear head had a bad O-ring. I have also heard that leaking coolant hoses on top of the engine due to loose clamps are common and even the cover for the water pump, which is on the right side. leaking green is a not a feature.

Quote:

I always have 3 to 5 or so drops of dried radiator fluid just below the motor mount and the shifting side (left) of my Nomad. After about a week of riding.

I've looked at all the hoses and don't see any migration (dried fluid) down the hoses that could have left these drip marks?

If you've noticed this around the area I'm suggesting and found the source, BD would appreciate it.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #5

I thought leaking green was a feature. Is that not Kawa's color? The Green Machine.

Best go and have it looked at BD. Not a good sign when there are leaks. I had to have my drive shaft seals replaced because of leaks. Sure was nice having the extended warranty.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #6

Check the rad cap, maybe it seeps a bit after its good and warm, Once on my truck the filler cap built up some gunge that caused it to seep a little, wiped it all clean and it was cured.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:

THIS BOARD IS FOR ME TO ADMIT I'M GAY!!.... NOT DENY IT!!!

edit away

Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Top Contributor

But you appear so studdly?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #9

My friend has a 1600 classic and the O ring was not seated well and blew anti freeze all over her brand new ride. We were about 60 miles from home what a pain in the ass. Have it checked - it required tank removal.
Upside was we met some really nice guys in that little town - they tried to fix it on a Sunday and when it was obvious the problem was beyond our ability - they brought a trailer and stored it for us til we could come get it the next day

The bike had less than 200 miles on it when it happened - poor attention to detail during assembly......

Old 01-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

No issues with mine.... knock on wood!!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #11

I had that same problem and went back to the dealer at about 6 months old. They replaced the thermostat gasket under the tank and the problem went away. On mine, it looked as though it was coming from the bottom of the front cylinder (I saw a trail) but it was dripping between the cylinders, onto a fin and then down the left front of the engine case.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #12

i had the same problem with my 2005 which has 28000 miles. it was the rubber o-ring on the coolant hose which goes down into the front cylinder. the problem was i could not see it until i took the tank off. hope this helps you some. while i had the tank off i replaced both coolant hose o-rings and the thermostat o-ring. no leaks and no smells.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Caddman had the same leaking problem & found that one of the coolent pipes worked loose from the engine vibration. You'll have to check with him on how he made repairs. -Rich

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #14

Oh the fun I could have had at the Western Rally with a dropper full of radiator fluid :)

Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye
Caddman had the same leaking problem & found that one of the coolent pipes worked loose from the engine vibration. You'll have to check with him on how he made repairs. -Rich
Actually, the bolts didn't loosen, but the o-rings just plain wore out from vibration. I cleaned the pipes and heads up really well and glued the pipes in solid with silicone adhesive.

If you do this repair, do not bother to remove the fuel injection. The little bolt on the rear head pipe hits the throttle mechanism, & won't come completely out, but the tab it holds is really flimsy. Just bend that tab to get the pipe off. Straighten it, once removed, & then trim the tab a little so you can get it back together easily.