Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #1

Nomad speedo noise.

I had a conversation on here before about my speedo screeching like a nutter,but i cant find the thread.Ive tried everything to stop it,someone said it was probably the 2 rubber support's on the back of the speedo,i now think he was right,but i cant find a part number for them,or a fitch of the speedo,any ideas where i find find them,the noise is driving me nut's.Thank's.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #2

Nomad speedo noise.

Is this what you're looking for Mick?
http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com...r01=1998&ca=GB

Old 08-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I had a conversation on here before about my speedo screeching like a nutter,but i cant find the thread.Ive tried everything to stop it,someone said it was probably the 2 rubber support's on the back of the speedo,i now think he was right,but i cant find a part number for them,or a fitch of the speedo,any ideas where i find find them,the noise is driving me nut's.Thank's.
This is the part Mick. DAMPER RUBBER,METER - 920751209
This is the part that the speedo case hooks into on the front its a rubber damper also 92075-125 Fuel Tank Damper.

When your riding if you put you hand on the speedometer and it stops the noise then it probably a damper needs replacing, fixing or something needs tightening. If that doesn't work then take the speedo cable off at both ends and apply white lithium grease to both ends and retighten. Give some time to spread and see if your noise goes away. If none of the above work, you may be looking at a new speedo or possible cable.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #4

Thank you both gentlemen,i've just fitted a new cable,and oiled it,so i think i can eliminate that. I am not holding out much hope for those rubber damper's either,i've put grease around the old one's and still got the noise,but i will buy them anyway.I thought i had it sorted when i found that the frontmost underside part of the chrome cowling was chafing on the bike frame,i put some gaffer tape on it and it stopped it for a while.It has got me Thank's again.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #5

No Problem Mick, as long as it's under control.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipereed View Post
No Problem Mick, as long as it's under control.
It's not exactly under control mate,in fact it's driving me nut's.The new speedo cable i just put on is 2in shorter than the old one,and it's a bastard to get on and off the cowling now,which only ramp's up the frustration level's.I just had a heart operation Monday so i reckon i need to leave it alone for a few day's.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #7

Nomad speedo noise.

Not good Mick! What did you have done?

I've done my speedo cable and my brothers too... I fit the cable to the speedo first and try and feed it through the frame. That in its self is a challenge.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Not good Mick! What did you have done?

I've done my speedo cable and my brothers too... I fit the cable to the speedo first and try and feed it through the frame. That in its self is a challenge.
My heart was farting about misfiring,so they sent a probe up the artery from my groin and zapped it with a lazer or some such thing.The first cable that i had on the bike was a short one,i used to poke an old straightened out coat hanger up through the frame then gaffer tape the cable to it,a bit similar to what the doctor just done to me really.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #9

Lmao.. I've had the Angiogram.. That was unpleasant..

Old 08-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Lmao.. I've had the Angiogram.. That was unpleasant..
The bastard's never said anything about pain,when that gizmo started electrocuting me i nearly jumped up in the air,they should have strapped me down at the start.Hope i dont need another one of those.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #11

I'm waiting to hear about an Angioplasty...
But I hope you get to the bottom of the problem though!

Old 09-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #12

I was looking in the wrong place,i thought it was the speedo rubbing on the outer chrome housing,it turned out to be the housing chafing on the brace at the front of the tank,i stuck some foam on it with gaffer tape and cured it.At the front of the housing is an L shaped bracket that look's like it should slot into the front of the brace across the tank,it doesnt,so the only thing holding it on is the 8mm bolt at the bottom

Last edited by mick56; 12-07-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #13

Ok where you have the tank taped up in front of the hold down bolt there should be a slot in the front of that brace. There should be a rubber grommet in that slot which the L brace on the spedo cowl slides into. The grommet you need is found here.

The numbers are 92071 920711187 GROMMET

Good luck
DC

PS bend that brace so that it goes where it belongs.

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Last edited by minst7877; 09-05-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877 View Post
Ok where you have the tank taped up in front of the hold down bolt there should be a slot in the front of that brace. There should be a rubber grommet in that slot which the L brace on the spedo cowl slides into. The grommet you need is found here.

The numbers are 92071 920711187 GROMMET

Good luck
DC

Well i'll be,i had a quick look and did'nt see any slot,strange how the unit fit's on the tank without that being slotted in place.Thank's mate.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #15

Fixed a noisy speedo and an erratic ticker..........good work Mick. I've had two of those cardiac ablations BTW. Neither was fun but the last one seems to have done the trick, I haven't had a trip to the emergency room in over 4 years.