Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #46
Advanced Member

Fairings, Tourpacks, Baggers, Post your pics here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver
what mount did you both use? The one for the handle bars?
Mine is a RAM mount bracket for the Nuvi line. Then I made my own aluminum bracket as you see in the picture and bolted it to the fairing. I did put a piece of rubber (scrap from a door threshold weather stripping) to take up any vibrations, but minimal. That's the greyish colour in the picture at the back of the mount.

The mount I put up and checked for angle and then bent the bracket so it was facing me directly as I was sitting like I would be riding. This wasn't hard, just an extra step to make it view with minimal glare. If I did get some glare I can still add a HAT on to it easy enough. The Ram mount (I can't remember the stock number) was like 12.00 or so. I could have purchased the round ball mount for handlebar, but didn't need it nor see a need. Other location would be where I mounted my stereo remote, but not line of sight like mine is now...so less DISTRACTION.

Scott

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #47

I used a vent mount that was meant for cars, modified it slightly and fastened it to my windsheild with two way tape.
I have it off the bike at the moment, when I get home tonight I'll take a picture of it and post it.
I bought it on Ebay for about $5.00 a couple seasons ago.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #48

You guys are the best, thanks !

Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #49

Heres the pic of the Mount I use to fasten the GPS to the bikes fairing.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #50
Advanced Member

If you look at Reply #37 on Jan 9, 2011, 11:15am you will see the picture of the GPS straight ahead showing how it's in my line of sight area for easy viewing. I like this better as I can glance at it easily.
I can still unclip the GPS easily enough and take it with me or put it in my saddle/trunk. Most of the guys I ride with say to leave it no one will touch it, but I'm not that brave But I guess to most it looks pretty secure so not easy to walk off with it??? Even over the bumpiest roads (and a few wooden bridges ) it is very stable.
Only think I need to do now is get another power cable for the quick connnect at the rear and I'm set. Winter project.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott (ve3hzz)
I like the setup, nice. One reason I mounted my GPS (Garmin 760) in the middle facing me was that it is the easiest to see in bright lighting.

Regards

Scott
Thanks , Scott.
Yes, I found it difficult to read the GPS in bright sunlight but stole an idea from Hammer who has the same Garmin 255W GPS and RAM mount that I have. Picked up a black plastic 3 X 5 card file box at Staples, cut the lid off and pretty much cut it in half diagonally, trimmed to fit and mounted to the back of the RAM mount. it looks pretty respectable and now the GPS is legible in most situations unless the sun is really low and directly to my back.

Thanks Hammer for the idea. Better get a copyright on it!

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #52
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider
Quote:
I like the setup, nice. One reason I mounted my GPS (Garmin 760) in the middle facing me was that it is the easiest to see in bright lighting.

Regards

Scott
Thanks , Scott.
Yes, I found it difficult to read the GPS in bright sunlight but stole an idea from Hammer who has the same Garmin 255W GPS and RAM mount that I have. Picked up a black plastic 3 X 5 card file box at Staples, cut the lid off and pretty much cut it in half diagonally, trimmed to fit and mounted to the back of the RAM mount. it looks pretty respectable and now the GPS is legible in most situations unless the sun is really low and directly to my back.

Thanks Hammer for the idea. Better get a copyright on it!

Your more than welcome. Interesting idea about that file box. Do you have a picture of it? I've been thinking of doing that for mine for those situations (not often) but would help. I could mount it with velcro so it comes off easy enough when not needed or when I have to do something with my mount etc.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #53

Will try to take some pics and post them tonight. Unless Hammer is reading this thread and has some that he has already taken.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514

Old 01-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #54

Glare stomper GPS sun shade model 316 http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...prod=RAM-NUV12

Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #55

Quote:
Interesting idea about that file box. Do you have a picture of it? I've been thinking of doing that for mine for those situations (not often) but would help. I could mount it with velcro so it comes off easy enough when not needed or when I have to do something with my mount etc.
Here are some pics of the finished product.

Side view

Back view - I had to notch it so that I could connect the power lead. Also had to go with slightly longer bolts to handle the extra thickness.

Top view - notched so that I could access the clip on the RAM mount to remove the GPS

Again, gotta give Hammer credit for the idea. Total cost about $5

VBA Member #01514

Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #56
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider
Quote:
Interesting idea about that file box. Do you have a picture of it? I've been thinking of doing that for mine for those situations (not often) but would help. I could mount it with velcro so it comes off easy enough when not needed or when I have to do something with my mount etc.
Here are some pics of the finished product.
Cool thanks for the pictures. I think I have a new mini-project to do sometimes soon. I will look I may have one of those laying around or something similar. Nice job on the cut out.

Scott

Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #57

Making that visor is a good idea, A lot of the time my GPS is almost useless because of the glare. I'll have to make up something like that as well to cure the problem. Thanks for the idea.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #58
Advanced Member

I'm going to make that a weekend project this weekend I think? I was going to wait for a couple of weeks as wanted to get to another project, but I may just bring the bike in out of winter temp storage into the garage and do some MOD's and maybe start the maintenance now incase it's WARM in Mid March

Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #59
Advanced Member

How are the GPS's in the rain? I know that they are not factory waterproof. How do you prevent water getting in/on them? I have a NUVI 750.

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Old 01-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #60

They sell rain proof covers for them, but as far as I know,there not weather proof